Wave 3 install

craig333

Riley's Human
The used I got looks nearly new. Looks like theres not much choice on where to mount it. I was hoping to hook into the propane line for the refer but since I didn't order that I didn't get one. Anyone know where I can T off from? Raining right now or I'd pull out the stove and look back there.

The used I got looks nearly new. Looks like theres not much choice on where to mount it. I was hoping to hook into the propane line for the refer but since I didn't order that I didn't get one. Anyone know where I can T off from? Raining right now or I'd pull out the stove and look back there.

My 1993 granby came with the icebox, when I pulled it out one day to replace the icebox drain hose I found both a 12 volt wire harness and a propane fitting already installed for a future refrigerator. If yours really doesn't have one, then the back of the stove would be the easiest to get to. You'll like the Wave for the peace and quiet. We just got back from a 10 day trip from Las Vegas,to Tucson, to Phoenix, to Grand canyon and back. The Canyon got down to 9 degrees over night. We slept warm and toasty with the Wave6. We mount ours above the door with a couple pieces of coat hanger wire once we set up camp. Then take it down and store it under the seat for travel. Hope you find the propane connection already there!
John

I kept my Wave free-standing (on legs), but I still needed a propane line to tee off. I lifted off the stove top and found the propane for the stove came from a cross-fitting (you know, like a Tee, but 4-way) and one of the arms had a copper line that ended in a plug. I think it was for the optional water heater that I didn't opt for. So I used that un-needed line as the source (with an extension) for my Wave.

I have been interested in a wave since I saw the redo on the blazer like mine. Saves needed space. I was concerned about enough heat with the windows open, but that sounds like it is not a problem. Nothing like radiant heat.I am not concerned about the time it takes to reach temp because I can use my truck heater to warm the camper up initially. I am curious about how it fires. Is there a 12v power supply for an ignitor, or does it just run continuously on a high or low setting?

I am curious about how it fires. Is there a 12v power supply for an ignitor, or does it just run continuously on a high or low setting?

There is no thermostat. You're basically just setting how open the propane valve is, and it runs continuously at the rate.
You start it initially with a piezo-electric (i.e., mechanical) igniter button -- no electric power required.

Had the refer box removed a long time ago so I know the line isn't there. I have the water heater so I may not get lucky on having a t already. Ah well if i have to do a bit of extra work so be it.

So to fire it you open the fuel valve by choosing one of the two settings and push the ignitor and to shut it off you close the valve? kind of like a gas grill without cooking the meat? Still snowing by you/ We had lake effect here in Michigan the last few days. Thanks for the info.

So to fire it you open the fuel valve by choosing one of the two settings and push the ignitor and to shut it off you close the valve? kind of like a gas grill without cooking the meat? Still snowing by you/ We had lake effect here in Michigan the last few days. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, that's basically it. But there's kinda one more step than that because you're not lighting a regular burner like in a stove or a gas grill. You need to get the catalyst hot enough first so it does it's flameless-burning thing...so you actually fire it up with a setting that's higher-than-high until the catalyst is hot enough to sustain the flameless burning. The instructions are clear and it's easy. If you really want to know, you can download the User Guide from the manufacturer. I'd upload it here myself, but the file is bigger than the 500k limit for attachments on this forum.

OK, update -- I just found this link: http://vagabonders-s..._User_Guide.pdf

(We've had a little snow, off-and-on this week...but Bend is on the dry side of the Cascade Range, edge of the high desert, so though it's frequently/usually cold enough to snow in the winter it's rare that we ever get more than a few inches.
But in the record winter of 92/93 (or was it 93/94?) we had snow 3 feet deep and we didn't see dirt for over 90 days.)

Thanks for the link. I would not have known what it was. We get, on the average, about 80 to 100 inches of snow a year I think. We just got a dusting and it is starting to freeze. Time for another log in the fire!

Attachments

• IMG_2483.JPG
    IMG_2483.JPG
    257.9 KB · Views: 128
Had a break in the weather today. Popped the stove out. No good news. I'll have to put in a t. Oh well, not all projects can be easy.

Back
Top Bottom