Wave 3 on 1 LB bottle

cwdtmmrs

I seem to remember a post about someone using 1 LB propane bottles with a Wave 3 heater, but I cannot find it with any of my searches. Can anyone direct me to the post?
Thanks,
CWD

I believe it was me, but don't have the post handy.

It's an adapter called a Steak Saver that lets you adapt from 1# bottle to the acme thread. I carry it in case my 5 gal tank runs out, then I can use a 1# bottle to run the camper. My wave is plumbed into the camper propane distribution with a flex hose / quick disconnect.

Hope that helps.

I thought it was you as well!. I thought I saw (memory not what it used to be) a post giving photos and operating times.

Thanks,
cwd

No operating time data, cwd. The only time I used the adapter I ran the stock furnace overnight while using a 1# bottle, and still had enough gas for morning coffee.

Ok, I hooked up my Wave 3 heater to a 1lb bottle and it works just fine that way. I called the factory and the tech confirmed that it was OK, but not recommended because the 1lb bottle may freeze up when the propane ran low. It is not a safety issue, just a convenience issue. The heater should operate for 8 hours on high with the 1lb bottle.

cwd

Lighthawk said:
I believe it was me, but don't have the post handy.

It's an adapter called a Steak Saver that lets you adapt from 1# bottle to the acme thread. I carry it in case my 5 gal tank runs out, then I can use a 1# bottle to run the camper. My wave is plumbed into the camper propane distribution with a flex hose / quick disconnect.

Hope that helps.
Andy, thanks for the prompt. I had to go near our local propane place today, so I picked up a 'steak saver', and the components to refill a 1lb bottle from a larger tank.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Andy, thanks for the prompt. I had to go near our local propane place today, so I picked up a 'steak saver', and the components to refill a 1lb bottle from a larger tank.
Warning on refilling a 1 # bottle. I used to have (30 years ago) some refillable 1# tanks that had a bleed valve. Not sure you can buy them anymore. I have filled some of the one time use tanks by using a needle nose pliers to pull of the relief valve to vent. The valve will leak after several refills. I had one leak in a camper and that is the last time I refilled a non-refillable tank. Just not worth the risk.

I've been refilling the 16.4oz bottles for the last year to run my buddy heater, camp stove, and bbq. I have about 10 of them I rotate through and I keep 6 in the camper. I don't seem to have a problem filling them full and I don't do anything with the valve. I mark how many times I've refilled them just for my own info and a few of them have been refilled 4 or 5 times. I don't see any more risk than having new ones around. my 2 cents...

Bill, all the pounders I've seen do have a Schraeder type bleed valve. I do recognize that there is some risk, but I don't intend to do it as a practice. Personally, I worry more about a main valve get rusty, and fail to close when the bottle is removed. One of my friends is a physician in Florida who had to care for one of his buddies back there. In a power outage, he was changing the bottle on a lantern, the valve failed, and the remaining gas ignited because of a candle. I guess a lesson here is to not change propane bottles in an enclosed area.

On a tangent, I just got a Camping World flyer for December. 2.6 gallon steel cylinders (and other sizes) for $9.00.

Oops! I missed the symbol for the little truck. That was just shipping. Too good to be true.

I just bought a low fat (stable) 11 lb tank from Ace Hardware online delivered free to local Ace store for convenient pickup.
Reg $60 with $10 rebate good last weekend. They might run $10 rebate special on any purchase over $50 again before spring.
First fill needs to have tank purged of air with gas before proceeding to fill. I will have commercial place do that (not hard-preference).
This tank will fill easy from a larger tank. Search web to learn how. Analyze various methods and pick the best method or combine best of a couple methods. Need good solid common sense and some vital facts to be safe. Most users would be best off just having commercial fills done.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11196628

Also bought "Fire in a Can" for faux campfire (propane) during fire season etc use. Called it Christmas present for wife who likes outside fires.:)
Bought direct from this site (shipped from Nevada, so saved local sales tax). Also available at amazon.
http://www.propanecampfires.com/campfire-in-a-can.php?gclid=CjwKEAiAkpCkBRCtstKQo5ia5nESJACsCikRuNW06Ip0661LRyCH-MC7mudMDnNDnu4wzlaysC5bgBoCnqjw_wcB

There are even smaller tanks available that I see as a better/safer deal than refilling disposables if they will work in your situation.
If you buy a gas elbow these will hold a propane lantern and work well with a stove as is, and are designed for refill.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/refillable-steel-propane-cylinders-4-5-lb-1-gal-/56052

Be SAFE! Saving a couple bucks for significantly higher risk seems like a bad trade off to me.
Engage common sense for whatever you do with gas/propane.

Back
Top Bottom