We Have Fox Kits!

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
I guess that makes me a dad. Yesterday, I saw an adult fox carrying a quail down the driveway, but didn’t see where it went. This morning, after taking the garbage to the road, I saw a very small kit pop out of a dry culvert. Hoping to put the long lens to good use.

Congratulations Steve. I fear for any biped that tries to mess with your new kids!

Several years ago we had a mom/dad and kits up against the house under a small deck.
We could watch them when mom brought them out.
A lot of fun.Non for at least 7 or so years.
Now it's the turkeys making their home with us.
Nature sure is fun.Pictures Steve.
Frank

Frank, I’ll do my best for photos.

So far today, we’ve had 3 sightings of the adults bringing food back to the den, and just the one of the kits.

Oh Boy! Instead of heading to Grand Teton to see 399 and her cubs we can go to Fort Sagebrush to see the Kits! Packing the spotting scope!

PaulT, that was funny.

Frank, I remember the photos of them on your deck.

Hey Steve

Good for you. There were always Grey foxes on the farm in Virginia and some few Red ones.

As we lived in the Virginia red clay area I thought the Red foxes were just Greys who had just come outta the hole.

Oddly, we hear foxes here on the Oregon coast but have only seen one in 25 years.

David Graves

We have Grey’s here. One day my wife was looking out the kitchen window and said “there’s a fox in a tree”, naturally I had to go look and make sure she was OK. Just then I saw another little one go running up the tree and the other one go running down. Fun and games chasing each other up the trees! I googled it and grey foxes are the only ones that can climb trees. A food source of eggs and baby birds. Hopefully that will keep them away from our chickens!
tried to attach a photo but it’s too large. …

We have gray foxes around here that we see mostly at night. A special treat is when we see mom fox taking her kits on the first excursion away from the den.

Mr. Sage, is a non intrusive viewing blind up at Fort Sagebrush? :)

ski3pin said:
<snip>

Mr. Sage, is a non intrusive viewing blind up at Fort Sagebrush? :)
Not yet, I want to wait a week or so to let the kits get a bit more active. If they stay where I saw them, we’ve got a good spot about 70 yards back. Imma hopin’.

They're a bit bigger...
52086129805_aa97f82be3_b.jpg

I should have taken some pics of the doves I had. I had no idea they were nesting on top of my patio cabinet. We scared the heck out of each other when I tried to put a box up there and mama took off. They made it. I put the last baby on my truck when it landed in the rat zone. I guess mama found it because they're gone now.

Well… we lost one of our chickens to a fox the other day, leaving us with only one . So we found a home for her and now we can get back to not worrying about the foxes and start enjoying seeing them again!

Attachments

• 87DE5BD2-D338-4CDB-B66B-F85F9305DD4E.jpeg
    87DE5BD2-D338-4CDB-B66B-F85F9305DD4E.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 50
Wandering Sagebrush said:
JWL, are those gray or kit foxes? Interesting animals!
Thise are Gray Foxes .
Here is a shot with the pups kind of visible running around.

Attachments

• B470D053-938E-4945-ADF1-3FBA5F06A891.jpeg
    B470D053-938E-4945-ADF1-3FBA5F06A891.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom