We Have Our New Hawk....Some Observations and Questions

Wallowa

Double Ought
Picked up our Hawk in Tigard from Jeff at ARC on 2-25. Great person and highly recommended. Drove the 5.5+ hours home most at 65 mph until in got dark in the mountains and then slowed for deer. Shipped weight was 1,473 lbs; '05 Tundra AC with Hellwig anti-sway bar in rear and RideRite airbags at 35psi the truck/camper handled very well even in the Gorge winds. Truck would run at 65 mph/2,000 rpm in OD but with slightly lower oil pressure and with this load made me uncomfortable that I was lugging the motor; a big no-no in my book. I will not be using the OD [unless on long downhill runs] and in direct it is 65 mph @ 2,600 rpm and higher oil pressure. Having said all that; @ 55 mph, in direct, the truck is pulling very easily and then the truck and I are both more relaxed! Yakima 50' wind deflector on Yak towers. Tires are Toyo Lt 265/75R16 Open Country A/T II with 45 psi {C load/6 ply}. Checked turn buckles at Hood River [1.5hrs] and they were still tight. Jeff had me install the turnbuckles; excellent learning experience.

Jeff and Clint in Tigard were way cool and left my new jacks boxed [easier to carry home] while using display jacks to mount the camper; I backed it in; about 1" clearance from jacks and fender flares. Drained all water, turned off propane, turned off master battery disconnect and watched the 160w roof solar panel [on Yak Tracs] keep pumping juice into the dual Exide batteries. The portable 80w panel is very well done and in a semi-rigid case with a carrying handle. Both are Zamp as is the controller and panel.

Draining the 6 gal hot water heater was interesting in that FWC says in their instruction pages that Atwood [igniter style] does not recommend pulling the white plastic plug in the outside compartment to drain the tank. However that is exactly what ARC and the Atwood instruction sheet says to do; pull that plug to drain the tank. FWC says to drain the hot water tank back into the main 20 gal water tank and then drain both through the common external drain valve. Supposedly the "by-pass" valve under the pump inside the forward cabinet will allow the '2 quarts of water' Atwood says is left inside the tank when the white plug drain is used to drain the tank will completely drain that residual into the main water tank. My question....what is the correct [gets most water out of the system] method to drain the hot water tank?

The good news! The camper w/solar panel [and truck.. :D ] has sufficient clearance [1"] to fit through my shop's 8' door opening. Whew!

Still sorting out the different do's and don'ts but this camper is "first cabin" and seems very well thought out and constructed. Great external compartment on left side for 25' fill hose/ 25' 14ga electrical/shower hose is an example.

We have a side dinette and love the floor plan; we can eat at table with top down on the road.

List of options other than those mentioned:

LED external lights on sides and under overhang
Steps on back wall
130L 2-way Isotherm frig/freezer [20Ls larger/supposedly better than ordered Dometic..less amps]
Atwood heater
Exterior shower
Side awning
Thermal Pack
External gas struts
Two roof vents with Fantastic fans
Front slider window [yes, last of them] and I can use center mirror through the camper

I am certain that I will have question for the collective wisdom of the forum after a few shake-down camping adventures. But we are very "Happy Campers".

Big thanks to all of you on the forum!

Phil

Ps...Not to malign Portland area but the traffic and tension in that area sucked. Listening to "Crime Stoppers" in metro area on radio about a current freeway shooter, murders at a convenience store and the neurotic passive/ aggressive, glum looking drivers made me further appreciate our open country, no signal lights in entire county of only 7K folks and folks that wave [and not with just the middle finger... :D ] Oh, yes loved the yellow, brown air in upper Gorge...

Phil, use the lever to drain the hot water tank back into the main tank, then with truck on slope drain the water tank. I then add 2-3 gallons of pink camper anti-freeze. It is eco- friendly. I then turn on the pump and run the cold water and then hot water until I get pink in the sink. Repeat at out side shower. I bought a couple adaptors to us that I can plug into the outdoor shower, one a hose connector and the other a squiggly moveable thing that allows me to wash hands so I can stay out of my wife's way when she is food prepping inside. First time I winterized I had to use the shower wand. Turn pump off, open both inside faucets and leave open for winter. Drain the sink line
Leave pink in the main tank. Turn the lever to remove anything left back into the tank. Then rest your mind as all winterizing should be done
jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Wallowa said:
Big thanks to all of you on the forum!

Phil

Ps...Not to malign Portland area but the traffic and tension in that area sucked. Listening to "Crime Stoppers" in metro area on radio about a current freeway shooter, murders at a convenience store and the neurotic passive/ aggressive, glum looking drivers made me further appreciate our open country, no signal lights in entire county of only 7K folks and folks that wave [and not with just the middle finger... :D ] Oh, yes loved the yellow, brown air in upper Gorge...
Congratulations on your new camper! I was told that draining the water heater using the FWC method, left a couple of quarts of water in the tank with 5 plus gallons of air above it. While that water would freeze, it doesn't cause damage due to expansion because of the considerable air space above the water.

Although due to family and wife's career, we still remain in the Portland Metro area, you live in one of my two favorite places in Oregon. Wallowa and Coos Bay are some of the best that Oregon has to offer. I spent 4 months in Joseph years ago on a sawmill automation project and really came to appreciate what a special place it is.

In addition to Wallowa Lake, I really like the Hat Point area even though my wife insists on driving into Hat Point and insists that I drive out of the Hat Point area. (Something about serious drop offs and lack of guard rails :) )
Doing a float trip down the Grand Ronde is also a nice memory. Taking the tram to the top of Mt Howard, hiking the 8000 ft altitude hiking loop in the August heat then being able to savor a Terminal Gravity IPA at the restaurant on top was quite nice

You have a lot of area to rediscover. ;)

Paul

Paul T. First I heard about water remaining in the water heater. Flip the switch and you can watch water drain from the pump. I drive around and find no indication of anything left. I run both hot and cold separately until nothing but pink flows out. It is my understanding when you open the hot water spigot pink anti-freeze runs into the hot water tank and drains back out with flip of the lever. Jd

ACE...Did you get what you needed on solar wiring?

Paul....I ride a GSA motorcycle only off road and so know most of the cool spots out here and in other remote areas of Idaho/Montana

Longhorn...Atwood manual specifies to remove the exterior white plastic drain plug to drain the hot water tank. The manual all says that even then there will be "approximately two quarts" of water left in the 6 gal tank. I have no idea where FWC got the "Atwood says not to use the drain plug to drain the tank". Goofy to quote Atwood and then give us an Atwood manual that contradicts their [FWC] statement.

Phil

Wow, I've been doing what FWC said to do. Guess I will check out the white drain plug. Jd

I have renewed hope. I will check the suggested places tomorrow. I got some leads on where to find the wiring. The other things I asked about weren't addressed, but I think they are easy "fixes." But, I'll ask this, do you have a legend or diagram of what fuses/breakers are for what? I was told they are clearly labeled on the fuse panel cover or on the door. They aren't. Do you have a diagram of the fuses or breakers? I've asked several times and haven't gotten it.

Phil...congrats on the new camper!

It will be like having a house on the back of your truck after coming from GSA camping.

Likewise, I had a R1200GSA-OC and now ride a R1200GS-LC. Great solo camping machines.

I met Tom, Stan, Terry and Sean at the inaugural OX-East. I was camping off my scoot in rain and cold. Saw the FWC products and ordered our Hawk shortly thereafter.

Since the GS/GSA is too heavy to tote in a hitch carrier (and I don't want to pull a trailer into many back country places), I had a custom Joe Hauler hitch carrier made to tote my KTM 350 on the back. Kind of a pain to take the scoot off the carrier every night, but, a sacrifice I'm willing to make to tote a scoot. Having both the FWC Hawk and the 350 on my truck, opens up a lot of back country for adventure.

Enjoy the camper and the adventures along the roads less traveled!

Advmoto18 said:

It will be like having a house on the back of your truck after coming from GSA camping.

Likewise, I had a R1200GSA-OC and now ride a R1200GS-LC. Great solo camping machines.

I met Tom, Stan, Terry and Sean at the inaugural OX-East. I was camping off my scoot in rain and cold. Saw the FWC products and ordered our Hawk shortly thereafter.

Since the GS/GSA is too heavy to tote in a hitch carrier (and I don't want to pull a trailer into many back country places), I had a custom Joe Hauler hitch carrier made to tote my KTM 350 on the back. Kind of a pain to take the scoot off the carrier every night, but, a sacrifice I'm willing to make to tote a scoot. Having both the FWC Hawk and the 350 on my truck, opens up a lot of back country for adventure.

Do you have any pictures of how you carry your bike? I have a motorcycle carrier on my truck but I am worried that the weight is too far back.

Congrats on the camper.

I love mine and use it all of the time.

I'm sure you will figure out all of these fun issues as you learn about the camper.
If not we can help out, that's what WandertheWest is all about anyway!

Time to post some pictures of the Hawk!

We are dying of anticipation around here!!! :D

Ace! said:
I have renewed hope. I will check the suggested places tomorrow. I got some leads on where to find the wiring. The other things I asked about weren't addressed, but I think they are easy "fixes." But, I'll ask this, do you have a legend or diagram of what fuses/breakers are for what? I was told they are clearly labeled on the fuse panel cover or on the door. They aren't. Do you have a diagram of the fuses or breakers? I've asked several times and haven't gotten it.
Ace, The dealer was out of the fuse labels and had FWC send us a sticker for the inside of the door where the fuses are. Contact FWC and have them mail it. I have an extra and will try and remember to scan it into a PDF at the office tomorrow. jd

Ace! said:
Ace...I will photo them today and send them as a Jpeg...if i can figure out how to do so...probably as a PM...yes, they are labeled.

idahoron said:
Do you have any pictures of how you carry your bike? I have a motorcycle carrier on my truck but I am worried that the weight is too far back.
Now that is damn funny! My BMW R1200GSA weighs about 625lbs with bags. I will not be transporting it anywhere expect under it's own power...and remember it is set up for and ridden about 99% on dirt kinda like we plan to use the Hawk. Weight to the rear or even front or up high is like the plague, to be avoided. I am amazed at the fuel/water/tires/storage boxes I see hanging off the back of trucks with campers; but to each their own. I may in the distant future get a trailer for my two 17' sea kayaks for destination expeditions on the coast but my BMW will never be a trailer queen! :D Just my take on things and I could be wrong...

Phil

Advmoto18 said:

Hey, a fellow outbacker! KTM is a great scooter. And yes, I also travel on my GSA solo out beyond BFE...only way to really get peace and tranquility! Just me and the coyotes; we both can bark and howl at the moon.

Never think of NC having off roads but of course they do...wasn't that near where they filmed "Deliverance" ? :p

Phil

Actually, Deliverance was filmed in north Georgia. ;) I used to drive my D90 around up there looking for out of the way trout stream access, but got into a few weird situations so I stuck to less 'rural' areas. :D I don't think I'd want to ride my 800GS up there.

Back
Top Bottom