We Stayed Home

Great photos and story. Fresh honey in the future sounds wonderful.

Cool write up, Ski. I've got a friend who is an expert bee-keeper. I've recently noticed quite a number of bee boxes near a trail close to where I live and have been planning a photo op. I think you just nudged me over the edge!

That was very interesting. I had a friend years ago who kept bees. I helped with the honey harvest one year. I hope you file another report when that time rolls around for this hive. Was there any discussion of the "hive collapse" syndrome that is much in the news lately? Some bee keepers around here have lost most of their hives. I hope the Spiders have good luck in that regard.

That was very interesting. I had a friend years ago who kept bees. I helped with the honey harvest one year. I hope you file another report when that time rolls around for this hive. Was there any discussion of the "hive collapse" syndrome that is much in the news lately? Some bee keepers around here have lost most of their hives. I hope the Spiders have good luck in that regard.

takesiteasy, Colony Collapse Disorder is a potential serious threat to all of us and has really been making the news around here. Recognizing and managing the health of a hive will be a learning experience.

Little Spider has an interesting connection in that one of her mentors is Dr. Page.

If you follow Ski's wikipedia link, you'll read about some studies that link CCD to neonicitinoid pesticides (although there are probably other factors as well). Based on a peer reviewed report by the European Food Safety Authority, the European Union has banned these neonics for two years. If you buy commercial seeds and plants in the US they may have been pre-treated with neonics. Something to be aware of and try to avoid...

On a related note, the city of Alamogordo (not too far from me) has had a ban on keeping bees in city limits. Overturning the ban was on a recent city council agenda. Not sure if it passed, but I hope so, and more power to folks like Little Spider who take up beekeeping.

takesiteasy, Colony Collapse Disorder is a potential serious threat to all of us and has really been making the news around here. Recognizing and managing the health of a hive will be a learning experience.

Little Spider has an interesting connection in that one of her mentors is Dr. Page.

Thanks for the links- very interesting. It appears Little Spider has a very capable mentor! I will be interested to hear more of her experiences with the hive.

If you follow Ski's wikipedia link, you'll read about some studies that link CCD to neonicitinoid pesticides (although there are probably other factors as well).

snip... and more power to folks like Little Spider who take up beekeeping.

Many folks around here are convinced about the neonicitinoid link. But the industry always wants more research before any action is taken... kinda scary. I agree it is great that people are still getting into beekeeping. You can have them in the city here if you get all your neighbors to agree.

I have a good friend who was a bee keeper and he lost several of his hives a while back and he never recovered and got out of bee keeping-that was to bad for allot of us who used his honey, especially during allergy season. Sure was and interesting piece by Ski thou----

Smoke.

Quote:"That night when we were back home, I asked the Lady, “So the next time we set up camp are you going to put your butt in the air and fan your wings and let us know it’s a good place?”
I got a smile but no direct answer. I guess I’ll just find out."

Hey Ski, I think you should double check the sex of the bees doing the new home dance. :)

Great report thanks for the pics and information.

<snip>
Hey Ski, I think you should double check the sex of the bees doing the new home dance. :)
<snip>

shhh.................I've been waiting for the Lady to point that one out to me. :eek:

Very very cool. Definitely on our to-do list once we find >the< chunk of land we want to live out the remainder of our days on...which hopefully will be sooner than later. Many thanks for sharing

mtn-high, these are the old timers for supplies........
Dadant
Many rural communities have beekeeping societies or clubs. Lots of people are into beekeeping.

Thanks all for the nice comments. I appreciate it.

Update on the hive - the queen is laying eggs, larva are growing, it is looking like a healthy hive! They have gone through 25 pounds of sugar in three weeks.

They'll let me know next time the hive is open, maybe I can get some more photos.

Back
Top Bottom