Weekend at East Lake

home skillet

Spent the weekend at East Lake in the Newberry Valcanic Caldera National Monument. This is about 30 miles Southeast of Bend. Really cool place with some neat geologic oddities. For Example, you can hike to the summit of the Paulina Peak (which is the remnant of a much larger mountain that was replaced by the enormous caldera when it litterally blew up); Visit one of the largest obsidian (black volcanic glass) deposits found in the northwest; fish for trout, kokanee, stink eye browns; mountain bike the 21 mile crater rim; or just sit around and marvel at the scenery.
We had a great time....but
after having done some true wandering with Dirty Dog, I have to say that "stationary camping" really doesn't stack up. In fact, its down right boring. OH NO! I've been ruined!

Paulina Peak from Cinder Hill Campground
IMG_4009.jpg

East Lake right at Sunset
IMG_4004.jpg

Great photos and a great spot!!!

I am also guilty of getting bored when stationary. If I'm not on the move every day I have to have TOYS!!!! :D

Thanks for the photos, Home. I've always liked Paulina Crater and its two shallow lakes. Sort of like camping in a drained Crater Lake!!

A stationary basecamp in the ATC is fine for me as long as there are trails to hike/bike and peaks to bag.

after having done some true wandering with Dirty Dog, I have to say that "stationary camping" really doesn't stack up. In fact, its down right boring. OH NO! I've been ruined!

And here I was thinking I need to do more stationary camping :D

Back
Top Bottom