Weekend jaunt to Leavenworth, WA area

pods8

Contributors
Went camping this weekend. Blew out of work Friday night and headed out 90 to 97 to come into Leavenworth the back way (for you folks that know those roads). Nice weather, nice drive. Made good time and beat the crowds. Headed out Icicle Canyon Road to go camping. The road is washed out right after Ida Creek by the way so that knocks out the upper three campgrounds outta the picture (assuming you're even going to be at a campground, for this trip we were since I think there are more restrictions on campfires when you get off the beaten path in this turf). Anyways we hit Lower Johnny Creek which only has about 10 sites spaced along the water with reasonable distance between camps. About half the site were open when we got there and we found a nice one to settle in. These sites aren't huge and later in the evening it was funny watching multiple folks with 40-50' fifth wheels trying to slip into the site next to us. After multiple times hitting trees they'd finally give up. In the end no one camped there that night.

The second night I though we were going to be in for it when a car pulled up and out poured a Ritalin needing 12ish year old and and axe and proceeded to run around taking 3-4 wackes on every log insight before running off to the next one. They ended up just building a cooking fire (which included at least one small live pine tree :mad: ) before leaving.

Other than that tourons we gladly minimal.

One other interesting thing, I got around to pulling the jacks off the camper. I was surprised at how much they weighted, I probably shed 150lb right there plus the wind drag. Initial gpm numbers show a 3mpg improvement which I am suspicious of and will have to verify on future trips but even 1-2 improvement is better than nothing if it works out, but I won't complain if its actually 3.

Mellow morning. I like it:
Leavenworth1.jpg

The campsite:
Leavenworth2.jpg

Views around leaven worth:
Leavenworth3.jpg

Leavenworth7.jpg

The weekend happened to be Maifest in Leavenworth so we figured we'd stop in and check it out for a couple hours before heading back to the woods. Hit a beir garden and mainly watched from there while having a few refreshments.

Flat Stanley for my nephew:
Leavenworth4.jpg

Part of the parade:
Leavenworth5.jpg

Bernese mountain dogs in the parade too, there were a ton of them. We thought the ones with the little carts were humorous:
Leavenworth6.jpg

Looks like home to me.

Pods8,

Every time you post a trip it brings back good memories! Keep it up:thumb:

There used to be a great bakery out near the salmon hatchery but it seems like I remember the last time we stopped it had closed...do you know for sure?

Thanks,
'birds

Pods8,

Every time you post a trip it brings back good memories! Keep it up:thumb:

There used to be a great bakery out near the salmon hatchery but it seems like I remember the last time we stopped it had closed...do you know for sure?

Thanks,
'birds

Wasn't on the prowl for such a place so nothing caught my attention but that doesn't mean something wasn't there.

Back
Top Bottom