Weighty Issue

Turk

I am researching an Eagle to pair with my 2007 Tacoma Access Cab with a 4-cylinder engine and 5-speed transmission. It is a two-wheel drive and my camping will consist of lesser traveled paved roads and the occasional gravel road (passable by passenger cars).

My concern is weight, has anybody actually run a fully packed rig over the scales to determine the gross vehicle weight? The Tacoma has 1,350 pound cargo capacity. If the Eagle actually gets close to 1,000 pounds before gear is added then the Tacoma capacity is easily within reach once you add driver and passenger. I as this as I’ve been looking at comparable hard-sided campers and the brochures lists the weights at, say, 800 pounds, but the camper as equipped on the lot has a sticker of over 1,100 pounds. I’m just curious if the GVWR on a Tacoma is not exceeded with a packed Eagle ready for adventure. I would be getting an Eagle with the refrigerator and jacks as the only added options.

As a newbie I appreciate any and all opinions and thoughts, it all helps in the fact finding.

Happy Trails,

Turk

Welcom Turk,
I've a 06 4x4 Tacoma automatic 4 door longbed with V6.
The truck by itself with me and 1/4 tank of gas is 4480lbs. With camper (not yet loaded to travel), me, full tank of gas and some stuff in the camper weights in at around ~5600lbs. In loaded travel mode I would think it'll be close to ~5900lbs.
The V6 is working hard on every mountain pass, it'll make it but it's working hard. At some stretch of freeway it needs to shift to 3rd or 4th and rev up to 4000rpm just to stay 60-65mph. The V6 is rated at 236hp and 266 lb-ft. Even my wife can feel the truck is sluggish after it's loaded with the camper.
I seen a 4 cylinders with FWC so I think you can make it work but it's going to work the engine hard.

Welcome Turk,

A couple of people here regularly overload their tacos, sometimes significantly. Opinions differ on how strictly to adhere to the gvwr. You will find both camps here. Most likely the engine will be your biggest concern and maybe tires depending on what you run. Airbags or supersprings to stabilize the load are an easy option. The bright side is that if you are sticking to pavement or gravel, you won't be stressing the rig the way most of us do when we go off-road. Off-road is the only time I have heard of things like frame, springs, etc. breaking when overloaded. Of course, there is a first for everything. And the stress on the engine should be considered.

Thanks for the help, it is appreciated. Right now I am pulling a 1962 13-foot Aloha housetrailer. I've weighed at a scales heading out for a week-long trip and the truck tipped the scales at 4500 pounds (2150 front axle, 2250 rear) and the trailer was 1950. So combined it was 6450 and the combined GVRW is at 7000 so I am okay with this setup. Going over the Santiam Pass I can pull the grade in third gear very easily except for the last half-mile where it is second gear and about 45 mph. I am very happy with the performance (and the 20 mpg) so I don't mind poking along.

I guess I should just figure that an Eagle will tip in at about 1000 pounds loaded and ready to go.

turk,
i have put several eagles on 4cyl. minitrucks.it helps to have the 5 speed and to not go to heavy in the option department.taking the jacks off once the camper is on will save around 80 Lbs.
i think your truck will handle it fine in the power department,but you may need a helper spring.most 2wd minitrucks have very light spring packages.
sean www.go-anywhere.us

Turk,
Welcome aboard. I added a leaf and then air bags to get my Tacoma to ride right and to level up side to side, so you can about count on at least the air bags. My V-6 handles the Eagle very well and still gets 15-17 MPG on the highway even at 75 mph. Due to the fact that I work out of a home office and don't commute the truck only has 18,700 miles on it so it's still relatively new. Most of my miles now are camping trips and most other miles go on my wife's Outback (25 plus MPG). Keep us posted.

Okay, here are the latest numbers that I have come up with. An base-model Eagle goes at about 690 pounds, add 50 pounds for the refrigerator upgrade, and add about 145 pounds for the camper jacks and the unloaded Eagle is at about 885 pounds. The Tacoma curb weight is 3,490 and after the camper is added the available payload is around 475 to account for the passengers and gear. And that could increase to around 535 or 550 pounds if the jack legs are left off. Do these numbers make sense to you experienced travelers? The end result seems to be that the pop up camper is about 300 pounds lighter than the hard side equivalent.

I am beginning to think that this just might work!

Thanks for the warm welcome to this part of the internet world, it is VERY informative.

Turk

Okay, here are the latest numbers that I have come up with. An base-model Eagle goes at about 690 pounds, add 50 pounds for the refrigerator upgrade, and add about 145 pounds for the camper jacks and the unloaded Eagle is at about 885 pounds. The Tacoma curb weight is 3,490 and after the camper is added the available payload is around 475 to account for the passengers and gear. And that could increase to around 535 or 550 pounds if the jack legs are left off. Do these numbers make sense to you experienced travelers? The end result seems to be that the pop up camper is about 300 pounds lighter than the hard side equivalent.

I am beginning to think that this just might work!

Thanks for the warm welcome to this part of the internet world, it is VERY informative.

Turk

Sounds about right. If you want to have a better idea, go weigh the truck with a full tank of gas and no driver. That will allow you to figure out the true payload you have left. Your math above seems pretty close though.

Going light

We're on the same path Turk... same truck exactly and I'm looking at an Eagle Shell or Bobcat shell as best option and then equiping it very carefully. I think a furnace is probably a bigger priority for us than the fridge and that may be the only camper option we purchase aside from jacks. We'll likely add some suspension support also although we, like you do not plan on doing any heavy duty off-roading. Keep posting

Back
Top Bottom