Western yellow jackets, aka meat bees

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
A couple of weeks ago, there were a few posts where meat bees were a problem (I was one of them). I got online and found this nifty little MEAT BEE TRAP that should be very easy to make/use while camping. I think I'll give it a try next time I'm in their area.

TAKE A "HAMHOCK" HANG IT IN TREE NEARBY....THE BEES WILL LEAVE YOU ALONE....
BEARS MAYBE ANOTHER ISSUE...................................

We were up at Lower Bucks Lake a couple of weeks ago and there were hundreds around camp. 5 people in our group for 4 days and only one sting.

UHAULER said:
We were up at Lower Bucks Lake a couple of weeks ago and there were hundreds around camp. 5 people in our group for 4 days and only one sting.
The meat bees can sting and can bite, seeking a chunk of your flesh. They will land on your leg or arm and sometimes get under clothing, looking for protein, then can sting if you swat.

I unwittingly walked on to an underground nest last summer, at Lake Valley Reservoir and received a dozen stings. I've learned to look for any sign of an active underground nest.

Yep-their out in droves this year! Just got back from North Eagle Lake where I had to keep "Bob's" water in the FWC because they would swarm them the minute they were put out. I usually put a bowl of water and and some bacon/meat out at the other side of the camp site and that sort of helps, but meat bees are not hornets(the worst) when it comes to stinging and in general bad manners :ninja: !

Smoke

We usually ignore them also but this is a phenomenal year for overall abundance of the creatures. The secret for around your home is to get the queens early in the Spring before they establish a colony/nest. Get the traps out early.

Another WTW member neighbor - decked out in appropriate safety gear, hard hat, eye protection, ear protection - hit a nest while weed whacking. He was covered before he realized what was happening. Similar happened to me years ago operating a chain saw while wood cutting. One of life's events I'll always remember.

Be careful out there.

Back
Top Bottom