What Do You All Tend To Use For Maps?

pods8

Contributors
Back roads maps that is?

In this specific case I need to pick up stuff for various areas on CA but figured we could chat about what everyone likes to use.

I've become a huge fan of Benchmark Maps, over the last few years.

Currently they offer atlases for about a dozen western states, and I have ordered most of them as a replacement for another longtime favorite, the Delorme Gazetteer Maps. The Gazetteers had been sufficient but at times dated and incomplete or just hard to follow. The Benchmark Maps are incredibly detailed, easy to follow & read, as well as offering a wealth of additional local information for recreation, government offices, points of interest, etc.

The Benchmark Maps retail for $19.99, but I've had good luck ordering them through Amazon.com, where they are often marked down to $15. Well, well worth it in my opinion for those who want to find what lies beyond the pavement.

I've been using both the Benchmark maps and the Delorme for some time. I find that in general the Benchmark maps are easier to use and have a lot more useful info like backcountry campgrounds and points of interest. However on a recent trip the Benchmark map didn't show some roads that the Delorme did.

I've been using both the Benchmark maps and the Delorme for some time. I find that in general the Benchmark maps are easier to use and have a lot more useful info like backcountry campgrounds and points of interest. However on a recent trip the Benchmark map didn't show some roads that the Delorme did.

I too use both of these and suplement them with The national Geographic Topo Series Maps. So far I haven't gotten lost yet. :unsure:

However on a recent trip the Benchmark map didn't show some roads that the Delorme did.

I believe that "recent trip" was in Blackrock when you were comparing your Benchmark to my Delorme. :LOL: But even my Delorme couldn't tell me that in order to drive the road we took in it's current condition, I would need a submarine.

Check out the U.S.F.S maps. They have alot of detail, also shows all the Forest Service roads. Can pick them up at any U.S. Forest Service Office. They have gps and topo info.

Maps? We dont' need no stinking maps. I use mostly USFS maps. AAA maps. A few National Geographic maps (too bad they don't cover more area, wish all maps were on plastic coated paper like that). Can't have too many maps. I used to bring topo maps but it seems with all the road closures now they're just too out of date to be very useful unless you're backpacking or really need the altitude information. Are those benchmark maps a good high quality paper? My main gripe with usfs maps is they usually don't last more than a season or two.

Maps? We dont' need no stinking maps. I use mostly USFS maps. AAA maps. A few National Geographic maps (too bad they don't cover more area, wish all maps were on plastic coated paper like that). Can't have too many maps. I used to bring topo maps but it seems with all the road closures now they're just too out of date to be very useful unless you're backpacking or really need the altitude information. Are those benchmark maps a good high quality paper? My main gripe with usfs maps is they usually don't last more than a season or two.

I ordered some USFS maps about a month ago. The paper feels like some kind of water resistant plastic. A ball point pen writes easily on them.

To bad AAA went from county maps to regional maps. Their county maps were some of the best for back roads. The regional maps are OK, but they don't have the same coverage.

Maps/ notes that come in a bottle. Have found two but still no treasure.
Garmin with a laptop, and the backroad atlas, "paper copy", we have up here.
To date have not been loss, then again I do not no where I am when I start.

This is kind of an oddball but I'll throw it out there. I hate freeways and busy roads, I've had some interesting times using Adventure Cycling-www.adventurecycling.org (sorry, having trouble w/links). Since it is for bicyclists it stays mostly off the main roads and gives store/restaurant/etc info. They don't go everywhere and they are not always the fastest or most direct but they are kinda fun.

This is kind of an oddball but I'll throw it out there.<snip>

I think he meant to say, "This is kind of an oddball SO I'll throw it out there..."

Oh! Uh... Hi, btl...

Hey Pods,
I use national geographic TOPO software, it is expensive, but I feel it gives me the whole picture. I also collet any map I can get my hands on. REI has a good selection and also you can find some useful resources on Amazon and Ebay. -Skeeter

Back
Top Bottom