What do you do with the Cubbyhole?

menoco

Advanced Member
I’ve a 2002 Hawk. I’ve a good sized alcove that seems hard to utilize. I’ll bet 4WC has designed a better cabinet, and most readers don’t have this problem.

Between the cabinet and the front wall/window there is a vertical nook. It’s a lot of unused space, but a strange little nook for 2 reason. First it has split level bottom, kind of a step down. The 2 levels are even carpeted. Second, on the wall side, the window reduces the nook to only 12” deep, while on cabinet side it’s 21” deep.

So, smallest usable dimensions would be a vertical box, 21.5” high x 9.25 along back x 12” across. If willing to block part of window, the box space would come out to edge of cabinet or 21” instead of just 12”. This is barely understandable to me, and I’ve been looking at it and thinking about it.

I’ve stacked table base and top, but need to place a strong bungie across, and it still leave empty space. Sometimes shove pillows and bed cover there. (Am I only one who can’t drop front in either pillows or a comforter stay on bed?)

Any suggestions?

Armando

Attachments

• 2013_04_10_LX5_0663-CamperSpace-72x900.jpg
    2013_04_10_LX5_0663-CamperSpace-72x900.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 170
Armondo,seems like you could build a cabinet to fit in there.Don't see a problem with covering up some of the window.It's not like you see anything through that part of it anyway.
I would go for some sort of storage there,since our campers have such little space to begin with.My Bobcat doesn't have that large space.Mine is only about 2"so I can't put anything there.I have tried to carry the wooden portable table I carry there but it just won't fit.
You should be at least be able to keep the comforter on the bed.I keep my sleeping bags laid out on the bed all the time,and close the top.
Frank

It was explained to me that building cabinets all the way forward (to the front wall), would prevent the "flexibility of the camper frame", i.e. the "flex frame" or "build a frame that manages (truck) bed flex without coming apart" advertising thing. Thus your cubbyhole-alcove-nook.

Some owners buy into that concept, some owners do not. Probably not as big a war as "what kind of oil do you like?", but sometimes a spirited debate at the least. You get to pick which side you want believe.

I hope that sheds some light on why the cubbyhole-alcove-nook is there.

When I built the interior in my shell, I'm sort of in the middle... Up where the aluminium frame is, I created a cubbyhole-alcove-nook that can hold duffle bags, or my interior folding/removable chairs, or my utility sink shower base, or anything else I can think of to stuff in there. I like it, gets some of the stuff out of the way and off the floor. Down where the plywood is, that step section, I did make a small cabinet, so that the cubbyhole-alcove-nook has a flat bottom (the top of the small cabinet).

Works for me and the camper is still together.
I'm flexible, but, I don't flex the camper much.

Some owners buy into that concept, some owners do not. Probably not as big a war as "what kind of oil do you like?", but sometimes a spirited debate at the least. You get to pick which side you want believe.

I am from the camp that does not buy into the "Flex Frame" claims. I think not welding the frame 360 saves welding time plus the weld does not have to be ground flat to accept the stapled-on interior walls without a bulge. I do not want to step on any toes, but these campers are not made as well as they could be, at least not my Ranger II. Exposed staples everywhere. Anyway, I have my fire extinguisher, flashlight and waste basket in that area. I also store my pillow and sleeping bag and in the stuff sack there while traveling, so the space is not wasted.

CWD

Ours is a 2003 Hawk with the same cubby hole. Since we have to remove our bedding to lower the top, that is where I store two sleeping bags and a comforter while the top is down.

Amigos,

A guy whose best idea is to shove pillows into space will not take sides in The Great Flex Frame debate. I’m the klutz who needed several of you to walk me through the installation of my gas struts last fall.

I got what I got in the 2002 Hawk. Building or remodeling cabinet not in my repertoire. Hoping for simple, ingenious ideas from the talented folks on WTW.

Best idea I have is to attached a bungee net. Here’s one from amazon for about $10. At least that’s simple. Would hold table, pillows, almost anything light weight.

Attachments

• 41qmYLwyTTL._SS500_.jpg
    41qmYLwyTTL._SS500_.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 122
Top is the silverware drawer. Wheres your silverware go? I'm surprised I'm the only one without a nook.

...I'm surprised I'm the only one without a nook.

My 2005 FWC Hawk doesn't have a nook or a cubbyhole -- it has a slot, a narrow space, too narrow to let me reach my arm in there...a space where things roll into off the counter and are hard to retrieve.
Man...the things I could do if I had a nook...or even a cubbyhole. :(

What do you do with your slot? :unsure:

What do you do with your slot? :unsure:

Not sure, but I believe this requires A "So-To-Speak" :)

I have a 2010 with a lot. Maybe 3-4". I keep camper papers, maps, and currently a cable bike lock in there. Can't fit my hand in.

I ended up extending the counter top to the wall. Then blocked out the window and store my stove and cutting boards there. Few picts.

I premade this to fit and slipped it right in under the counter-top.

Added a panel to match the old stuff. It blends in nicely.

Overall shot of the setup.

I have a small little door/cubby above the stove area. So far it works well. Great ideas on here guys!

Back
Top Bottom