What do you get? MPG on F350 4x4 Diesel or Gas

X2 for the most part with Norrisd #18 comments with a few exceptions. I have a stock, 2016 Ram 3500 CC, 6.4 Hemi gas, Auto, 4x4 with my fully loaded (no toilet) Hawk, ~2200# total payload, including pens and journal. Total truck weight ~8600#. The truck doesn't even know the camper is on it. Perhaps an over-kill(?), perhaps Not!...I like it!

My road trip took me throughout Oregon and Nor/Cal, north of Chico. Average MPG at 12.5 city and 14.7 hwy at 65 MPH. Happy with these numbers. Better numbers than I had with same Hawk on my now retired '02 Tundra. Did not need the impressive torque of a diesel, nor the $10,000 price tag and maintenance cost. The numbers between diesel and gas have narrowed considerably, but the torque of a diesel is king. I now have 3500 miles on my truck...

We have an F350 with the 6.7L Powerstroke, 3.73 diff. When the truck was stock we got 18-20 mpg (unloaded) on the highway 65-75 mph. With some changes including 34" tall AT tires (stock was 32"), an ARB bumper (not the best aerodynamics), and a flatbed which is a little wider than the cab, our unloaded mileage on the highway dropped to the 16-18 mpg range. (Odometer is corrected for taller tires, this is the "real" mpg").
With an XP V1 with all our stuff and about 70 gallons water (fresh and grey combined) we recently averaged 14 mpg eastbound through Nevada (US50) and Utah (US50 to I-70), at speeds 65 to 70 mph. Our loaded camper weight should be about double of a loaded FWC. Figuring out your fuel requirements in advance for off-road travel is tricky, I don't really have a number for that yet for this rig. Maybe 11 mpg.

FYI, for anyone who also tows, I recently pulled a Kubota tractor on a goose neck equipment trailer about 400 miles, the loaded trailer would have been about 12,000 lbs (did not scale it), and the mileage calculated by the truck was just over 10 mpg. That was mostly on the highway.

Back
Top Bottom