What is this for?

nevadamerica

Advanced Member
I'm really looking for a good place to run my solar wires. I've seen little to no "great" options for running these, or any, roof wires on campers which are not pre-wired for solar. Scratching my head, thinking maybe find a spot to have them enter the camper at the roof vent/fan, then attempt to follow those wires to the front end lift panel, then back down towards the fuse area. I came across these "access?" ports on either side of the front end. Can someone shed some light on this? Is it for installing the canvas/vinyl? Can't see anything from the inside.

I have that on mine also always wondered what those holes are for. I have my solar wires running on the outside down the side of the camper in a piece of PVC pipe. The entire lenght of wires is wrapped in heat shrink tubing to keep it neat. I have had it that way for two years living in the camper full time and lifting the roof average every few days and have not had any trouble still works great.

Those holes vent the ceiling from the headliner to the roof. Your ceiling is filled with fiberglass batting and running wire might be problematic. You could remove the wood strips holding the headliner up, run your wire and put the liner back, not a fun task but doable.

nevadamerica said:
I'm really looking for a good place to run my solar wires.
Here's an idea. This is my Hawk, I'm pretty sure that FWC retrofitted the solar on this a few months after the original delivery. [SIZE=13.63636302948px]The two 50 watt panels are mounted about center of the roof, connected via a pair of the usual SAE connectors. [/SIZE]Inside, some liner material was used to make a conduit, fastened to the window w/velcro. Each panel has parallel wires to separate controllers, so 4 wires in the conduit which feed down through the back of the cabinet.

Attachments

• 2015-04-25_14-46-04_79r.jpg
    2015-04-25_14-46-04_79r.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 168
Thanks guys. Wuck this looks like a similar application to SLO250's setup, if you've seen his. As for what to do next, I'm off to find out how serious the liner is attached.

Back
Top Bottom