What kind of sealant is needed for the roof?

MuleHawk

Advanced Member
Looking over the camper I noticed I have some sealant separating at the roof line. Would dicor work or is there a special other kind I should apply? Looks like the previous owner did some work there too from the discoloration. I haven't had any leaks but obviously don't want to get to that point. Should I try to remove the old stuff before I apply anything new?

Also my propane compartment smells of propane almost constantly, I had my cylinders inspected in case of a leak but they are fine, is it just off gassing because of temperature and pressure changes or should I look into the camper piping for a leak? I can't smell it inside the camper however so that leads me to believe it is off gassing.

Thanks!

ImageUploadedByWander The West1472759893.366976.jpg

www.mulehawk.com

MuleHawk said:
Looking over the camper I noticed I have some sealant separating at the roof line. Would dicor work or is there a special other kind I should apply? Looks like the previous owner did some work there too from the discoloration. I haven't had any leaks but obviously don't want to get to that point. Should I try to remove the old stuff before I apply anything new?

Also my propane compartment smells of propane almost constantly, I had my cylinders inspected in case of a leak but they are fine, is it just off gassing because of temperature and pressure changes or should I look into the camper piping for a leak? I can't smell it inside the camper however so that leads me to believe it is off gassing.

Thanks!

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByWander The West1472759893.366976.jpg

www.mulehawk.com
I called FWC and ordered a tube of sealant. I haven't done the caulking yet. I will check what brand and type when I get home. jd

Mulehawk,

Silaprene is the sealant that FWC uses for the perimeter roof edge. I purchase a tube from FWC.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

This thread reminded me I had a hard time finding Silaprene and went with something else when I did my roof edges last summer.

The term 'Silaprene' confused me since the brand name is used on a whole range of adhesives and sealants made by Royal Adhesives.

Here's an old thread about it. Post 11 has photos of the one used by FWC at the time... "Silaprene HAPs Free Adhesive / Sealant" in a green cartridge. I assume that's the one still used today.

Here's a pdf of the manufacturer's brochure with further info.

Manufacturer's part number is 12381 (for white) according to the brochure (but that's not on the cartridge)

If internet searches are any indication, it's difficult to find locally but can be ordered from FWC.

Back
Top Bottom