What kind of vinyl does FWC use

wvtradbow

Advanced Member
I'm going to be replacing the liner on my old Grandby in the next few months and was wandering if I made it myself,what kind of vinyl would I use..I been doing a little research and found this place that sells about any kind of material you would want,but I'm not really sure what to go with..I was even thinking about silnylon,tent like material,but I don't think I want it that thin.. http://www.seattlefabrics.com/products.html

I've purchased other fabrics from them and I always get some samples sent to me before I make the BIG purchase.

Once you get some recommendations, you should do the same.

There is nothing like having the ability to touch and feel.

wvtradbow said:
I'm going to be replacing the liner on my old Grandby in the next few months and was wandering if I made it myself,what kind of vinyl would I use..I been doing a little research and found this place that sells about any kind of material you would want,but I'm not really sure what to go with..I was even thinking about silnylon,tent like material,but I don't think I want it that thin.. http://www.seattlefabrics.com/products.html
Either
Vinyl Coated Polyester scrim also known as VCP

Or
Vinyl Laminated Polyester scrim also known as VLP

Either/Or probably also have a dirt shedding acrylic top coat.

Probably made in Germany.

VCP & VLP are both solid and imperneable by construction where as SilNylon "waterproofness" is achieved by application of silicone after the fabric is woven.
VCP & VLP are made with UV inhibitors to permit outside use on a daily time basis.

Most importantly, VCP and VLP have much much better flame retardant characteristics.

Silnylon is great for light backpacking tents, I have several of them, but it would not take the abuse of this application.

I was actually thinking about tha 14oz VCP its 60in and &15 a yard but I think alley cats right I probably should get the sample first,is there any pics out there of homemade ones versus FWC ones.They seem very expensive compared to making your own if ya have a little sewing experience...

Why not give FWC and ATC a call and find out what they use. I know each one uses different fabrics so would be interesting to find out the difference. You might get a price quote for the liner from ATC as they repair FWC campers and did a new liner for my Grandby about 5 years ago. They were considerably less than FWC.

The ATC one is a dark material and I found that to be nice in the AM if I camped where the sun would hit the side of the camper right away. With the thermal transfer from the warming side fabric to the interior air of the camper it took only about 20 minutes of sun to warm the inside of the camper up to about 70 F after a night at about 30 F. Even in the middle of the day in warm climates with full sun, I just opened up all the top side fabric windows to stay comfortable inside for an afternoon nap.

Back
Top Bottom