What tires are you running?

Michelin LTX M/S 2 265/70-17 E rated on a Tacoma Sport PreRunner with a fully loaded Fleet. Don't do much above level 3 rated off-road. Made it with ease places such as Yankee Boy Basin and Toroweap. Expensive, however, rides well, 70k warranty and mpg stays around 16-18 on highways at 60mph. Not recommended for serious 4x4 or mud...works for me and my wandering

takesiteeasy,

Thanks for your post. The linked article is informative and has some info I have been looking for in relation to the sidewall abrasion and puncture resistance in the LT series vs the P series tires. I stopped by Les Schwab tire store today and was shown the Toyo tire they sell to the US Forest Service to reduce sidewall failures on their trucks. The tire is an LT275/70R18 and the sidewall felt like it was about 3/4" thick and resisted pushing sideways even when unmounted.. It has 3 plies in the sidewall. The Michelin P series has 2 plies. Didn't check the P series directly but will next time. I suspect it is much less stiff.

"More input, need more input", says Johnny 5

Paul

We recently purchased Michelin-LTX M/S2. We have had them before and the performance was very good.

Rick

I just replace my Michelin LTX AT2 with 112,000 miles with a new set. I have always had great performance with the Michelin Man on my vehicles.

Just purchased Bridgestone/Firestone Dueler A/T REVO 2 - LT Owl tires. The factory tires lasted 35,000+ before I notice issues and 47,000+ before I was at the bare minimum. Headed to Vermont for a week in October and didn't want to be driving on low tread. $996.00 with a $140 Rebate for using my Firestone account. They say these ride very well on all surfaces. We will see. jd

I am running Toyo Open Country AT 2s in 6 ply probably should have gone 10. So far I have been very impressed. On my Jeep I had Cooper AT3s and also loved them.

The P is for passenger car! Not Trucks! LT is for Light Trucks. Never owned a truck on P metrics that wasn't improved by changing to an LT Tire.

Personally I think E rated are a bit too much for compact trucks. D is probably better though more limited offerings. E rated tires are for 3/4 and 1 tons and can ride pretty harsh on lighter trucks. I've run nothing but C rated on most of my trucks without issue(1/2 ton). Also bear in mind that there is a difference between say a 31x10.50x16LT and a 265/75r 16 besides size. The 31 is what is known as a floatation tire. They are built to do just that and can be flexy. They still hold the weight fine but squirm a little more than a metric size. On a ferry you can see my Trooper with a very stiff suspension moving on the tires as the boat moves. Flotation tires are typically C rated.

I got to run the BFG MT KM2 through their paces this afternoon.
full

I replaced my KM2's with Cooper ST Maxx's recently. A lot better ride and way quieter. Had one KM2 blow out returning from Nevada this summer and another was about to blow but milked it home. Belts had separated. One I might be able to understand but two on the same trip...only had 25K miles on them. The ST Maxx looks to be a bit better for ice since they're ciped where the BFG's are not. HArd to beat the KM2 for mud traction though.

Back
Top Bottom