What would you change about your camper?

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
What features of your FWC do you feel could use some improvement? Here's my list:

The sink faucet needs to be a bit longer (even half an inch would make a difference). As it is, the faucet is difficult to get anything under.

The furnace could use improvements. In a tiny space like the FWC, it should start and stop more frequently rather than run for a long time. It get's way too hot. Also, it seems to be hard to start after I haven't used it for a while.

The water pump could be better insulated.

The cabinetry needs to be redesigned for easier access to internal components. To get to the water pump, I had to take out screws AND pry staples out of one panel. I won't even put that particular panel back.

The panel over the water tank and closest to the kitchen side needs to be better supported. This is the only place to stand to reach the bed while making it or the back window, and mine broke when the small wood screws pulled out of the wood.

A fiberglass hard top that could be stood on would be nice.

An integrated shower privacy system would make the external shower much more feasible.

I love my FWC, and I'm nitpicking here more than criticizing.

inside out

Could you or possibly any others post a photo or two of the inside of your FWC? Everyone shows the outside with good looking photo's of their rig with the camper on board but I would like a good look at the inside. My Sportsmobile is the EB model so I have about 10-12 ft of living space. I would like to compare the set up and convenience to what I use...Thanks...

Photos

Hey, thanks for the interior photo's. Checked out the gallery. Lot of great photos. I have a lot of room in my SMB. But if things were different I'm sure I could get use to a FWC interior.
A little off subject but have you ever taken any photos of the mining town of Dawson City in the Yukon? I took a couple of photos in August on my trip back from Alaska. I was checking out your mining town trip on the other posts from the site. Nice trip photos. Keep 'em coming...

Dawson

Here is a photo of Dawson City, Yukon. Notice the dirty Sportsmobile! Neat little mining town. The last stop on the Klondike Gold rush trail, 1896. Had to take a ferry from the "Top Of The World" hwy accross the Yukon to get to town ( From the North).

Attachments

• phpyg9NLjAM.jpg
    phpyg9NLjAM.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,360
Top Of the World @ night

Here's a photo taken at 2330 hrs (11:30PM) at sunset from the "Top Of The World" highway on August 25th.

Attachments

• Top World.jpg
    Top World.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,350
I read a book about Dawson and the Klondike Gold Rush. Amazing times up there. Nice pics, I can't wait to go!

Changing my camper? Well, money was the limiting factor on buying my camper, otherwise I'd have the sink, stove, etc. But it's not that big of a deal.

What I would have liked was a roof that one could stand or sit on (while it was down) It would make camping a bit more fun, nothing like having a nice cold beer watching the sun set from a higher point. But, that would add weight and since I'm not a big fan of weight, I can deal with my camper exactly how it is now.

Roof connection to soft side

I have an '83 Granby, and this may be improved on later models. As for mine, the only thing that keeps water from running inside the soft side (indoors) is the bead of sealant that is visible on top, between the aluminum skin, and the aluminum trim. The soft side is not set in sealant, gasket, nothing! In other words, there is no water barrier whatsoever under the exterior alum. trim ring that you see from the outside. Lousy detail. If others of you have this old a model, keep a very wary eye on this edge--if you see a crack where there is supposed to be sealant, water is coming in, and it will only come in more as time passes. A much better seal is achieved if the trim ring is taken loose, and re-installed in a bed of sealant, in addition to the bead applied to the outside.

Good Luck!

The one thing I would change is; On the outside shower hatch cover is a built in bracket to hold the shower head. Well when you open the hatch it hits the sink drain. So if you set the shower head in the bracket it points up! This causes the spay to shoot into the air and cool off real quick. I ended up just dropping the shower head while soaping up then reaching down to pick it up to rinse off. So move the sink drain two inches.

I just ust removed the "ice box". I had to replace ice in it daily but given the amount of insulation, lack of tightness and shoddy construction it remains a mystery to me how it kept anything cold for the day it did. I've decided to go with a couple of 36 qt Coleman Xtreme coolers. I know you guys love the 2 way fridges but I've had very bad luck with them. I'm sewing up a couple of insulators out of furniture blankets. I've done it before. This method will keep food and beverages cold for 5 days in the summer in Saline Valley. I do keep them in the shade and not directly on the ground and if you can moisten the blankets so much the better. I can hear you all now saying Whoa too much work but I dont mind and it's KISS for me.

I am converting the ice box cabinet into a dry food pantry with a shelf and forward lip. This will eliminate a large food tote. I'll reroute as well as protect the gas line so it wont be damaged with stuff bouncing around and hitting it on rough roads.

I've removed the cook top and will replace it with a shallow storage box for knives, utensils, "cork screw and beer bottle opener" and other small objects and top it with a hinged cutting board. We never cook inside but I can always move the camp stove in if needed.

I've replaced the sliders under the sink with new quarter inch doors. Much sturdier and they stay closed on washboard roads. I had to change out the channels with larger ones but they are far superior to the old OEM dorrs.

I am still brain storming awning ideas. My thought is to sew up one using shade cloth and Sunbrella material. I though I could come up with a way of attaching it to the camper top clips and telescoping poles attached to the jacks some how. That way it can be use on either side of the camper as the need arises. But I'd love to hear suggestions on this one I'm sure you guys have some good ideas.

Jay

What features of your FWC do you feel could use some improvement? Here's my list:

The sink faucet needs to be a bit longer (even half an inch would make a difference). As it is, the faucet is difficult to get anything under.

The furnace could use improvements. In a tiny space like the FWC, it should start and stop more frequently rather than run for a long time. It get's way too hot. Also, it seems to be hard to start after I haven't used it for a while.

The water pump could be better insulated.

The cabinetry needs to be redesigned for easier access to internal components. To get to the water pump, I had to take out screws AND pry staples out of one panel. I won't even put that particular panel back.

The panel over the water tank and closest to the kitchen side needs to be better supported. This is the only place to stand to reach the bed while making it or the back window, and mine broke when the small wood screws pulled out of the wood.

A fiberglass hard top that could be stood on would be nice.

An integrated shower privacy system would make the external shower much more feasible.

I love my FWC, and I'm nitpicking here more than criticizing.

Looking back at this post I made 2.5 years ago, and having a newer camper, I am happy to report most of these issues have been addressed.

I would still like to see:

• Quick mount shower privacy system outside the camper
  • Better table
  • Better storage space under the bench seat - ie easier to access (although I think the change to the nice dinette plan makes this a moot point).

larger tie down eye bolts, on the Finch they are only 5/16 diameter, already had one break, replacing with 1/2 diameter

Suggestion: Move furnace exhaust to the side

Having the furnace exhaust at the back of the vehicle means all the road dust gets sucked in. It just cost me an arm and a leg to replace part of my heater, probably from all the playa dust eating at the internal workings. You might put some type of cover on the exhaust while in transport but it seems to me it is VERY likely you would forget to take it off and that would be VERY BAD re: a fire hazard and exhaust issue. I would not recommend this at all.
A vertical propane bottle is much easier to find these days as well.

Don't get me wrong ATC is a GREAT camper made by a great group of guys! THANKS.

I would not change anything in my Keystone. We use it enough to put some wear and tear on it. My truck has about 450,000 miles, second engine, third transmission, plus every part on the truck has been off and replaced from wear, or wrecks (The truck has been in 3 or 4 wrecks and repainted twice.). We work on the camper a little all the time to keep it up.

I feel very lucky to have found these campers. I recommend getting out and using them and work on your camper just enough to keep it in top shape for the next camping trip. The traveling season is coming soon and I am mentally already taking trips when I see the pictures posted here. Thanks to all those who share their camping trips.

DD,

I have basically the same change ideas as you with my '07 Grandby. Most things on my FWC are great and work well, however when on long trips, like 30 days or more, there are a couple things that get sort of aggravating. I actually mentioned some of these to Stan and Chicali when I was out there last October.

You wouldn't think it would be a big deal, but my sink faucet needs to extend farther over the sink. I have purchased another faucet from Lowe's, for a laundry/utility sink. I haven't installed it yet but will soon. I think FWC has started using different faucets since '07 so the newer models probably don't have this issue.

The "slider" style doors on the small cabinets are kind of a pain too, so got some material to change them over to hinged lids. Haven't installed that yet either. The newer FWC's don't use the slider doors anymore from what I saw.

The main item I want to change/mod/add is a mini dinette. Sherri and I really saw the need for that on our 30 day first trip west last October. Once again I haven't had time add that mod. I need to get going, huh.

I also would like to add a digital thermostat, with remote, that would allow more accurate temp setting and be able to adjust the spread between on/off cycles so the furnace wouldn't run so long. Haven't done that either.....

Seems like FWC is really staying on top of things and is making all and more of these upgrades in the newer campers.

The main item I want to change/mod/add is a mini dinette. Sherri and I really saw the need for that on our 30 day first trip west last October. Once again I haven't had time add that mod. I need to get going, huh.

I also would like to add a digital thermostat, with remote, that would allow more accurate temp setting and be able to adjust the spread between on/off cycles so the furnace wouldn't run so long. Haven't done that either.....

Seems like FWC is really staying on top of things and is making all and more of these upgrades in the newer campers.

Buzzman,

Atwood is now building a 12v digital thermostat. It'll be more expensive than a cheapo home depot special, but worth it, I think... I plan to replace my cheapo before winter.

FWC is doing a great job of upgrading their campers. I am impressed. Keeping weight low and adding features is hard!

I believe you can order a dinette retrofit from the factory for your Grandby. That surely is simpler than doing it yourself (voice of experience)! Although, I think FWC will eventually change their dinette since it looks very tight for 2.

thermostat

Buzzman,

Atwood is now building a 12v digital thermostat. It'll be more expensive than a cheapo home depot special, but worth it, I think... I plan to replace my cheapo before winter.

FWC is doing a great job of upgrading their campers. I am impressed. Keeping weight low and adding features is hard!

I believe you can order a dinette retrofit from the factory for your Grandby. That surely is simpler than doing it yourself (voice of experience)! Although, I think FWC will eventually change their dinette since it looks very tight for 2.

Hi Scott,
Just curious as to why the Atwood thermostat would be better? The first mod I made on my eagle was to replace the analog thermostat with a digital thermostat from Home Depot, seems to improve the constant turning on and off of the heater.

Back
Top Bottom