What years, what features?

natjwest

Contributors
I have reduced my FWC searching to model years 1990 and newer, to accomodate my newer truck, but I'm wondering at what year various other internal features were added. I have heard that the hot water heater was not always available?

Hot water heater

Furnace

On-board battery

Anything else?

Thanks!

Well you know my philosophy. KISS. Any thing you never had a need for in the past is just something to go wrong in the future. Y'know like computers, cell phones, flush toilets........
One thing I wish both FWC and ATC would consider is making the tie down access doors larger with the engineering needed to insure the campers integrity. I have tons of room in that area that can only be accessed through those doors. It would be a perfect place to put fire wood, small children etc. if you could just get them in there.

Jay, I'm not asking if you think these features are needed. For me, I will not buy a camper without hw heater and 2-way fridge. So I'm wondering what years these items became standard.

Hijack on...

One thing I wish both FWC and ATC would consider is making the tie down access doors larger with the engineering needed to insure the campers integrity. I have tons of room in that area that can only be accessed through those doors. It would be a perfect place to put fire wood, small children etc. if you could just get them in there.

x2

...Hijack off

Jay, I'm not asking if you think these features are needed. For me, I will not buy a camper without hw heater and 2-way fridge. So I'm wondering what years these items became standard.

Your call but I'd personally want to avoid a built in hot water heater and instead opt for one of the accessory type ones people are using. That way you aren't giving up the space on trips you don't need it. Also its not built into the cabinet making it hard to access/maintain/winterize. That said I don't know when they started, if I had to guess mid 2000s?

I think the furnace option has been around for quite some time so in the eras you're looking its likely an option (that doesn't mean people opted to get it though).

Having an onboard battery would have always been an option, what as changed is how things are tied it & if there is a 110V converter on board as well. Older rigs (like mine) use a simple 12V fuse block and don't have a built in converter (not an issue for me).

Bigger fish to fry in my mind:
Assuming you are looking at a fullsize rig (I thought I saw you looking at a keystone elsewhere) the tailgate opening went from 64"->60"->58". My dodge can fit the 60" fine but some trucks need to newer 58" campers which started around 2001.

Keep an eye on the sideliner in earlier campers, I forget when but earlier campers have some insulation in there that molded out supposedly.

I don't remember the exact dates but in the 98-01' era +/- a year or two (I think it was done by 02-03 though as my camper had its liner replaced around then and doesn't have this issue) they used adhesive backing on the velco for the windows in the sideliner. Apparently this oozes from the stitching and folks find it to be a PITA. Also earlier campers had a fabric headliner that deteriorated over time verse a perforated vinyl that was used later.

Just some things off the top of my head if I was looking to take into consideration.

We bought our camper new in '03 and the water heater/outdoor shower was not available then. Possibly on later '03's otherwise not until '04. Pretty sure the furnace and battery have been around longer back than you are looking at.

Your call but I'd personally want to avoid a built in hot water heater and instead opt for one of the accessory type ones people are using
What are these accessory type water heaters? Do you have a link? I am slightly negotiable on the hw heater option.

And thanks, pods, for the other details. I appreciate the heads-up. I can add-on a converter/charger and an inverter (I actually already have a nice inverter). I've taken note of the other issues you raise.

We bought our camper new in '03 and the water heater/outdoor shower was not available then. Possibly on later '03's otherwise not until '04. Pretty sure the furnace and battery have been around longer back than you are looking at.

Thanks for this. An outdoor shower is pretty nice but not mandatory. Furnace isn't too mandatory since I could use the storage room and a Buddy or Wave is okay.

What are these accessory type water heaters? Do you have a link? I am slightly negotiable on the hw heater option.

And thanks, pods, for the other details. I appreciate the heads-up. I can add-on a converter/charger and an inverter (I actually already have a nice inverter). I've taken note of the other issues you raise.

Main units people are using from my reading are zodi units and some use a coleman unit, I'm sure there are other ones here and there. Also some folks just boil up a pot of water to mix in with cooler water either in a bucket with a pump or fill up a solar shower bag with it. I don't have personal experience but the zodi stuff looks nice and they range from stove top units to ones that run on a large propane tank (with units that run on the propane bottles in between): http://www.zodi.com/Consumer/zodiproducts.html

Yeah I just hard wired a shore power charger into mine as well easy enough. Just was pointing out the "on-board" battery is something that could always be done just in varying degrees. My camper just came with power lines leading to the fuse panel, I added in the batteries/charger/truck connection/etc. but the previous owner technically ran it off an on board battery even though it didn't have the setup the newer rigs might have. However I liked the option of setting up what I wanted from scratch.

If you care, 2004 was the last year with the outside covers on the windows.

If you care, 2004 was the last year with the outside covers on the windows.

I am interested as I have an '04 Hawk. After this year is the window setup exactly the same just without the outside covers? Went out west without a step stool and uncovering the windows got to be a chore standing on the running boards or tire and reaching a long ways to partially roll and unroll the window flaps.

On an '04, can the outside flaps be left in the fully rolled up position when the top is closed and during travel?

Not to hijack this thread, but a small information rabbit trail maybe?

Thanks, Fred

I am interested as I have an '04 Hawk. After this year is the window setup exactly the same just without the outside covers? Went out west without a step stool and uncovering the windows got to be a chore standing on the running boards or tire and reaching a long ways to partially roll and unroll the window flaps.

On an '04, can the outside flaps be left in the fully rolled up position when the top is closed and during travel?

Thanks, Fred

They changed the manufacturing a tad to make sure the stitching didn't leak in hard weather I believe.

While traveling I do leave the flaps rolled up once I've opened them on the trip with no issues and then just make sure I take them down when I air the rig out & store it after the trip. But I do travel with a 2-step stool (that I also use to get in/out of the rig) so its easy to open and close these anyways.

Thanks, Fred

After 04 the windows are the but without the covers. I have occasionally put the top down with the outside covers rolled up. I would think you could do the same.

Does anyone know the first year for the gray canvas on a Grandby?..

Late 90s, call Stan at FWC to find the exact date.

FWC started using the grey material for the "pop-up" portion around 1996 / 1997.

The 1995 had the tan material.

Pretty sure all 1997 models have the grey material.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom