What's wrong with this Fleet Camper?

DrJ

This is actually more about what's right then wrong.

But I spent two days at Overland Expo seeing some amazing rigs.
I noticed something new on FWC that I've wanted for years.

Just curious if anyone else can spot what's different about this Fleet than anyone I've ever seen before.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1463960414.152155.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1463960427.421851.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

There is even more to the story than the under the bed storage.
The bed is longer than before. They are using a new material on the underside of the cab over.
This is just a prototype but the change is awesome.
The amount of storage under the bed is terrific.

There has been no final announcement about this but this would be a most welcome change.

Anyone want to see some interior pictures???

Sure drj post up some inside pics. Be nice to see what the final costs will really be.

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

We too were at OX and spent some time in that Fleet prototype . . . . . love the under bed storage. The use of space and technology employed in these small campers is pretty amazing. We bought a used Fleet back in 1992 and camped it for 10 years. The differences between that one and the new ones are day and night. Hats off to FWC, and to the pop-up camper industry as a whole for continually moving forward and improving the quality of their products.

Here are some inside pictures.

This is a really neat option. I wish they would have had this option just a few months ago when I bought my Grandby.

The extra bed length is really tremendous too. I think it creates North South sleeping instead of the old way.

There is a TON of storage under there.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1464018767.739086.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1464018783.823599.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1464018797.394967.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Not wishing to be the "you know what" in the punch bowl...but how much weight does this add to existing design and does it raise the CG? It is an improvement if needed.

Each of us picks a camper design and size to fit our needs. Our Hawk could have been the smaller, lighter Fleet but we compromised and went for more interior space just in case we were forced to "hole up" during a storm event and wanted more breathing room. Still hoping that the Hawk will allow the off road use we intend.

Personal sensibilities, needs and planned use will dictate if bigger is better.. There are lots of larger campers out there if needed.

Phil

X2 ^ I find that I have all the storage space that I need on my Eagle. Too much space = Too much stuff= Too much weight! Just saying. Ron

It is cool but I'd be concerned with the weight potential too. Hell I have a Finch and it suits my needs and I've spent ~10hrs in it in a storm. It wasn't great but 1000% better than a ground tent. The under bed storage as shown could probably hold my sleeping bags.

It look like a great idea, although I would not want the additional thickness in the overhead. I look forward to long term testing results in regards to condensation issues under the bed. I hope it works out but I won't want to find the socks I want to put on in the morning wet and cold.

The Pricing seemed to be a bit high in my mind. They don't know for sure yet, but pricing on the build sheet showed a flat 2k for 12 inches more over the cab and stoarge. 12% pricing increase doesn't seem to fit in my mind for a solid value. I would rather put that money toward stoarge boxes from Aluminess or something like minded.

Instead of storage below, I'd rather see an inch or two of additional room above the bed to accommodate for bedding, while the top us down.

That being said, I'm fine with the current design. Everything has a trade off.

The underbed storage is one of the main reasons we just got a Hallmark Everest. We love the additional space and on extended trips that we have planned we'll need all the space we can get.
Cudos to FWC for offering the option. I'm sure it will be a big hit!

I would rather have a thicker more comfortable mattress (I know its gotten better but its still not good enough) and the ability to leave bedding and pillow in place while the top is lowered and no pull out section (so longer overhang).

For folks with side dinnette or roll over couch and flush mount sink, once the slide out is extended you can't flip open the glass cover (you would only need a couple inches of clearance).

The biggest contributors to the gear shuffle is 1. the extra mattress pads for the pull out section 2. bedding and pillows 3. gear bag clothing.

We can deal with the gear bag for clothing as we started to use packing cubes and a single duffle bag which making packing and unloading after a trip a lot easier. with the under bed storage, it would be hard to reach the items towards the front and the potential for condensation issues would be problematic.

The support joist looks nice but probably labor intensive hence the price.

Bill D said:
Instead of storage below, I'd rather see an inch or two of additional room above the bed to accommodate for bedding, while the top us down.

That being said, I'm fine with the current design. Everything has a trade off.
Not sure what the difference is, but mine has the under-bed storage and we keep a 1" memory foam topper and sleeping bags up there all the time. The front hinge hits the bag, but it doesn't inhibit the closing of the top. Maybe the design will give that additional space your talking about? I'd be interested to compare the differences.

Don

-

It's another option for some who want that storage.
It is a nice idea and has it's place.
Happy with my setup. Can't justify the extra money.
These campers are already over what I want to spend for a replacement to my Bobcat.
It's like new automobiles,you need new options for continued sales,IMO.
Hope this works out for FWC.
The weight/CG issue might be a downside.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom