What's your favorite camp chair?

fish more said:
Strongbacks chairs very comfy, had nothing but problems with these chairs. Bolts break....
I've had a similar experience with my beloved Strongback chair...though it sounds like not as severe -- I lost one bolt. Still, I love the lumbar support -- still my most comfortable chair. (Well, the Lafuma lounger is the most comfortable for napping)

GroovyDad said:
...this has become my favorite chair. It's light, comfortable and folds nice and flat, but wouldn't you know, REI discontinued them.

post-5621-0-93767300-1473721935_thumb.jpg
This REI folding chair is my go-to when I need easy portability or just when I want to be close to the ground.

Stalking Light said:
todgru said:
With the smaller campers, I have the Falcon, these two solutions look like they might be great upgrades but still use almost no space? We use a couple of these that are real low riders https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5027-428/Mantis-Chair but the Helinox looks nice for resting the neck and the Treo for easy in and out since it looks like a reasonable height?

we have the Treo's as well. Both chairs broke earlier this summer (front leg snapped), and Thermarest replaced them, no questions asked. The replacements look exactly like the originals, so I am not too sure how long they will last. BTW, I weigh 185 lbs. Well under the stated max weight, and they broke while leaning forward to stoke the fire. Very odd.

They are also quite unstable and take some getting used to. Not recommended for nights of heavy drinking!

Vic

I second the motion for the Kermit chair... I have had 2 for 25 years...still in great shape...extremely well made by hand.... pays off over time...I have also gone through 3 or 4 walmart chairs... over all Kermit was a better value... they also look great (though they are low to the ground you can also buy leg extensions)

My fav is LaFuma. I've been using the same ones since 1998. Replaced the pad 3yrs ago. They take up a lot of storage room but the few times I opted for something else I always regretted it. They are infinitely adjustable from upright to star gazing. I've actually spent some nights sleeping on them. I like that most parts can be replaced so they're not just thrown away after a few years. The only thing I wish they had are a cupholder.

Attachments

• lafuma - 1.jpg
    lafuma - 1.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 307
X2 on the Kermit chair. My wife and I both have them and they travel with us all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Ronin said:
My fav is LaFuma...
I have a knockoff of that style chair that I quite like, but will have to try out the original version one of these days. The knockoff is no good for sitting upright, but a great lounger.

Ronin, where is that campsite? Care to share? It has a view to admire...

Absolutely right- it is Kirk Creek Campground. One of the best spots on the Ca coast. I believe it has less than 20 spaces so reservations a must. I'm not sure if the Sobranes Fire affects access or not so be sure to check with CHP or CalFire for latest info. I was in site #17 situated right on the bluff above the ocean.

Thanks B & R - maybe see you there next year!

From the recommendations here I purchased a couple kermits jumping the strong back train due to size. Pricey but hope to live long enough to wear em out!

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Ok, so how long and what tools are needed to assemble a Kermit? It looks like a pile of sticks when disassembled & rolled up.

Paul

The Kermit chair is the classiest. I also have two. It works for me because I can also take it on my motorcycle adventures. Yes it is tough to get out of at times and expensive. I am happy to hear they have some longevity. I try to have all the adult beverages ready before I sit down. :p Do any of you use the leg extensions? Are they worth the extra money?

I bought the extensions for both They seem robust but more comfortable without I guess they're necessary if one wants to sit at the adult table. One problem is the provided bag will not fit them so another 40bucks for the proper bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Wandering Sagebrush said:
After watching the video (set to, apparently, appropriate Benny Hill theme music), I think I'll stick with my huge, difficult to store but very comfortable Strongback chairs. Big selling point for my old knees is the higher seated position & very stable arm rests for getting up from seated position. Second selling point is price. I got two overpriced Strongback chairs for the price of one Kermit chair even though the Kermits are much classier. ;)

Of course, if Kermits are as comfortable as Strongbacks, I suspect that, in a group setting, (or is that sitting?), one must quickly occupy the chair before someone else takes the seat, or be left standing.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom