Whats your FWC?

Pax2525

Hey Everyone,

Im conducting a survey to see what the most popular FWC model, options, and more are. The link below will take you to the survey. Please only take if you are a owner of a FWC not a potential owner.

Its only a few questions and I would be stoked if you took the time to answer. Should take 1 minute or less

Let me know if you have any questions. It doesn't ask for emails or contact info so no spam will happen.

The link.....
https://goo.gl/forms/kpHS9Oes3cTUKyR03

Nice job on the survey...hope you can share # of responses, what our found out... good luck on your efforts and decision...

we took over a year to glean what we needed on our camper...our p/u bed pretty much dictated the model--a Fleet...plus we had no desire to do the work on a shell...so deciding the best components as ex-tent campers to suite us was what guided our decisions... the solar was critical to allow "off-grid" camping--got roof mount as didn't want to deal with "packing/unpacking portable" plus can always add it if needed at a later date...got 2 x 6volt batteries vs. 1x12 volt-- installed after market by Steve in Tigard...told that was the better choice with the solar...it has not disappointed... hot water? no need as we can boil what we need and did NOT want the extra wt / system (more to deal with)... as tent campers, can always find a shower, cold lake, or motel when we need a break after 4 or 5 days...upgraded the fan to the auto / 13 setting with remote control... although haven't used all that much yet, it is convenient to use the remote to control speed/like the auto shut down/close if it starts raining--this has worked well when had rain during the night...the arctic pack liner is definitely a plus--helps both heating and cooling...got the 2-way fridge(1.7 cu.ft) as many complained about the 3-way(using propane) acts up if camper not level / on the move... the 2-way(electric only) does quite well with our solar especially if you do a pre-chill, keep full, set low(1.5 works), etc... we also always take a small cooler for ice/frozen food...furnace--a must and quite efficient (set at 58 to 60 at night)...side-awning a must to expand our outside efforts when camping... back steps...just got a nice $20 folding plastic stool (noted by many in blog) which fits neatly inside when traveling...got the bench seat vs. the side or back seating options which reduce storage space big time/costs more...might revisit this decision again as the side seats looks "convenient"... but satisfied so far with this table decision...ideally we prefer the option to eat outside under the awning or at the campsite's picnic table but using the set up table has been adequate when used for eating inside...camper jacks--almost had to get even though camper "permanent" on our pickup...may have to remove once or twice a year for cleaning...and gas strut roof lift assists were critical with roof solar and wife who usually opens the roof...good investment

That pretty much covers our recent purchase decisions in addition to my answers on your survey... as first time camper buyers, this was all "new to us" but feel we pretty much nailed our choices for our camping needs... got a little carried away but I hope this helps in your decisions...

Brad in Scappoose, OR

scappoosebrad said:
Nice job on the survey...hope you can share # of responses, what our found out... good luck on your efforts and decision...

we took over a year to glean what we needed on our camper...our p/u bed pretty much dictated the model--a Fleet...plus we had no desire to do the work on a shell...so deciding the best components as ex-tent campers to suite us was what guided our decisions... the solar was critical to allow "off-grid" camping--got roof mount as didn't want to deal with "packing/unpacking portable" plus can always add it if needed at a later date...got 2 x 6volt batteries vs. 1x12 volt-- installed after market by Steve in Tigard...told that was the better choice with the solar...it has not disappointed... hot water? no need as we can boil what we need and did NOT want the extra wt / system (more to deal with)... as tent campers, can always find a shower, cold lake, or motel when we need a break after 4 or 5 days...upgraded the fan to the auto / 13 setting with remote control... although haven't used all that much yet, it is convenient to use the remote to control speed/like the auto shut down/close if it starts raining--this has worked well when had rain during the night...the arctic pack liner is definitely a plus--helps both heating and cooling...got the 2-way fridge(1.7 cu.ft) as many complained about the 3-way(using propane) acts up if camper not level / on the move... the 2-way(electric only) does quite well with our solar especially if you do a pre-chill, keep full, set low(1.5 works), etc... we also always take a small cooler for ice/frozen food...furnace--a must and quite efficient (set at 58 to 60 at night)...side-awning a must to expand our outside efforts when camping... back steps...just got a nice $20 folding plastic stool (noted by many in blog) which fits neatly inside when traveling...got the bench seat vs. the side or back seating options which reduce storage space big time/costs more...might revisit this decision again as the side seats looks "convenient"... but satisfied so far with this table decision...ideally we prefer the option to eat outside under the awning or at the campsite's picnic table but using the set up table has been adequate when used for eating inside...camper jacks--almost had to get even though camper "permanent" on our pickup...may have to remove once or twice a year for cleaning...and gas strut roof lift assists were critical with roof solar and wife who usually opens the roof...good investment

That pretty much covers our recent purchase decisions in addition to my answers on your survey... as first time camper buyers, this was all "new to us" but feel we pretty much nailed our choices for our camping needs... got a little carried away but I hope this helps in your decisions...

Brad in Scappoose, OR

Thanks for the in depth response, ill try and find some key findings to share once I have a decent amount of data. Cheers!

Great survey looking forward to the results. I bought a shell but made a side dinette out of it, so I checked side dinette. Good question would have been if you bought a shell do you use it as a shell or did you build it got to a ................?

billharr said:
Great survey looking forward to the results. I bought a shell but made a side dinette out of it, so I checked side dinette. Good question would have been if you bought a shell do you use it as a shell or did you build it got to a ................?
Alright, slightly altered for those Shell owners who want to give more details, thanks for the suggestions!

Do you want those of us who did rebuilds that are updated to respond? I hope so, because I did with it's original age, but with the configuration it is now.

Poky

PokyBro said:
Do you want those of us who did rebuilds that are updated to respond? I hope so, because I did with it's original age, but with the configuration it is now.

Poky
its all good, the idea is to see what people are buying/desire etc

Thanks for filling it out

nikonron said:
Still no workie. It's an Eagle shell with factory dinette.
I don't know how to edit the answer to allow both so I added an extra questions for shell owners where you could explain that. Sorry

Good Survey. I took the easy way out when I bought my camper. I was very extravagant and bought myself a Woolrich Edition Hawk. It's fantastic! The only two options available were built in cassette toilet and rear roof steps...which I got. Looking forward to all the results.

Poll question comments:

No Keystone model in your list.
No Fiamma (or other) side or rear awning (OEM options).
There are two types of roof racks - the FWC rectangular aluminum rack and the Yakima rack (both are OEM). The Yakima racks can be half length or full length,
Struts can be inside or outside. Also can be front only (possibly rear only)
Range tops can be 2 burner or 3 burner
Fridge can be small, Med or large 2-way or 3-way as well as ice box.
Interior ights can be incandescent, fluorescent or LED
Exterior lights can be incandescent or LED

Ram is a Dodge model

I filled in all my details in the comments section.

Recap: 2007 Keystone, roll over, full length Yakima racks, inside struts on front only, two vents, one powered, pressurized water, hot water heater, 2 burner range top, large 3-way refrigerator, rear wall steps, interior lights fluorescent and LED (replaced OEM incandescent bulbs with LEDs), rear flood lights (replaced OEM incandescent with LED), rear and side porch lights (OEM was incandescent), Queen size bed (slide out). optional rear and driver side windows, optional shelf unit on driver side. no cassette toilet (we use a porta-potti), 1993 Dodge Ram W250 clubcab Diesel longbed.

Regards,

Craig

It's an interesting question. I am just wondering why you didn't say a little bit more about who you are, and why you are asking the question. Just curious.

Chris

ckent323 said:
Poll question comments:

No Keystone model in your list.
No Fiamma (or other) side or rear awning (OEM options).
There are two types of roof racks - the FWC rectangular aluminum rack and the Yakima rack (both are OEM). The Yakima racks can be half length or full length,
Struts can be inside or outside. Also can be front only (possibly rear only)
Range tops can be 2 burner or 3 burner
Fridge can be small, Med or large 2-way or 3-way as well as ice box.
Interior ights can be incandescent, fluorescent or LED
Exterior lights can be incandescent or LED

Ram is a Dodge model

I filled in all my details in the comments section.

Recap: 2007 Keystone, roll over, full length Yakima racks, inside struts on front only, two vents, one powered, pressurized water, hot water heater, 2 burner range top, large 3-way refrigerator, rear wall steps, interior lights fluorescent and LED (replaced OEM incandescent bulbs with LEDs), rear flood lights (replaced OEM incandescent with LED), rear and side porch lights (OEM was incandescent), Queen size bed (slide out). optional rear and driver side windows, optional shelf unit on driver side. no cassette toilet (we use a porta-potti), 1993 Dodge Ram W250 clubcab Diesel longbed.

Regards,

Craig

Craig thanks for the response. I added a few of those things. I idea is just to get a big picture on campers.

Ram is its own brand now, hence why I added it.

Again thanks for the response!

Yukon said:
It's an interesting question. I am just wondering why you didn't say a little bit more about who you are, and why you are asking the question. Just curious.

Chris
Chris, I am just curious about the market and what campers models are most popular and most options purchased. Apparently I'm also a partial nerd since I want to look at this data. hahaha

Another idea would be for those with campers is what options do you WISH is had. I can think of a few.
Rear wall steps
Yakima tracks
Awning

JCatt said:
Another idea would be for those with campers is what options do you WISH is had. I can think of a few.
Rear wall steps
Yakima tracks
Awning
For sure, some people have written that in on the last question. Its something to maybe include in another survey for those looking to buy or ??

Easy to take survey! Had my Granby for 12 years and had lot's of fun(?) modifying it and bantering back and forth on the WTW site! As an old backpacker/truck camper learning to use it was a trip-I mean, that first rainy, cold,nasty morning I woke up in it, turned on the burner to heat up my coffee water and then enjoyed that first cup-then got dressed, I knew I had made the right decision in buying it :love: !

Smoke

Agree Smoke, after 43 years of backpacking and mountaineering, room to move around, standing up to dress, not sleeping on and getting up off the ground, cooking in a howling storm, lights, heat, refrigerator, more stuff than I can carry, ice cream sammiches = LUXURY.

Since I stripped and built out the interior of 'This Old Grandby' I called it a shell 'cuz I didn't use anything out of the original interior. For options I checked the ones I consider needs; I again would get a shell and do the interior build myself.

jim

Back
Top Bottom