What's your go-to lock lubricant for your camper and truck locks?

Old Crow

Searching....
When I bought my used Hawk a few months ago, I found the door and exterior compartment locks didn't operate well at all. The door lock seemed to need an extra jiggle as the key was turned. The water-fill door lock would only open on about every fifth or sixth re-insertion of the key. They were so bad I was sure the water-fill one would have to be replaced and maybe the door one too.

The interwebs seemed to warn me off graphite and I didn't want to use machine oil or WD-40 on locks exposed to so much dust and dirt. And I wanted it to work in extreme low temperatures.

I went with "Dupont Easy Entry Lock Lubricant with Teflon Fluoropolymer". I was surprised to find it resolved my lock problems immediately and they continue to operate very smoothly. Though I don't yet have long-term experience with it to be absolutely, positively sure, it appears to be a winner. I also used it to resolve a problem with my front door lock sticking and we use that one daily.

http://www.performancelubricantsusa.com/product/easy-entry-lock-lubricant.php

I bought mine at Lowe's but see they now show it as no longer available. Best bet would probably be Amazon if you're in need of a lock lube.

http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon-Easy-Entry-Lubricant/dp/B004Q0HM9W

-OC
(I have no affiliation with the product. Just sayin' it worked great for me on my Hawk)

For decades I used whatever was handy, including WD40 & graphite, whatever would make an immediate improvement.
My local locksmith scolded me for that after working on some of my locks.
He says the high tech new stuff is the only way to go, so I listened....

Good tip. I'm going to try this seeing as how I'm starting to have this problem. Another fellow camper said he takes his entire for lock apart every year but I haven't tried that yet.

Thanks

I've got a can of white lithium grease with the WD40 spray straw. Works well, and grease doesn't collect grit like oil does. I've also used teflon bike lube.

There should be a locksmith on our forum to comment....
Shouldn't there?......

I've always used graphite on locks. It's not easy to get in, but any wet lube will collect grit. I'd use my go-to for nearly everything else, Maxxima motorcycle chain wax, but I was concerned about build-up closing down the operating tolerances and it being more of a hindrance than a help.

Years working on the shop bench with precision mechanisms taught me the abhor WD-40 for any use other than as a cutting fluid for aluminum. WD-40 build-up was a frequent cause of the mechanisms ceasing to function properly or at all, and it was a chore to get them clean.

I've used graphite, spray grease, oil whatever I've had over the years. But my BIL just turned me on to using motorcycle chain lube. It's like thin sticky grease and works well for hinges and locks. Comes in a spray can with a straw.

Back
Top Bottom