When the Coronavirus Crisis Ends, What Do You Want to Do?

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
I read yesterday that looking ahead, when this pandemic is over, is a positive and healthy exercise and a wise way of looking at life. So the question, when you finally bust loose and life gets a bit more normalcy to it, what do you want to do? What will put a smile on your face and spin your propeller?

In this approximate order:
- spend a few days on the Oregon coast
- if it is not too far into the summer, spend a week or so in the Owyhee area of Oregon and Idaho
- do some hot springs and boondocking in deep central Idaho
- venture up the Columbia river north of Wenatchee to get fresh harvest cherries and see the sights
- swing through SW Colorado and into New Mexico to spend some quality time among the Pueblo ruins
- see relatives in AZ and spend some time hiking in Sedona
- get far from civilization in southern Utah or eastern Nevada for an indeterminate length of time
- get down to the Napa to enjoy wine country and hang with relatives for a while
- and then some other stuff

Heading out-Anywhere, think I'll just point my rig north on 395N and hit the gas, but probably, the Modoc Plateau or the Sheldon/Steens area! Hey may see ya out there Steve :cool:!

Smoke

My life has taught me that planning on a future over which I have little control is not all that good for me. The interesting thing is that little has changed for me in the midst of this event. I would have been skiing (and sleeping in my camper :) ) the past couple of months and I would not be getting up at 5 am to get to the grocery store when they first open. I'd probably have more weeds in my yard too.

But:
spend the night in the camper, get the kayak on Mono Lake before sunrise (after a night of music and dancing at the Whoa Nellie or the T-Bar once that can happen again)
camp, fish, visit a friend on the Duck Valley Reservation
Bristlecone Pine Forest (but oh God - that road!)
several backpacking trips - probably won't even leave my watershed :D

So, thus far I'm planning to fly fish the Owyhee, hitting a hot spring or two while out there, all after getting a great breakfast at the Firesign in Tahoe City on our way out of town. I'll take the camera along.

I'm feeling so much better!

Keep 'em coming. :)

Really haven't made any real plans mostly dreams.Don't want to get all planed out
I still think this is going to be longer then we all might want it to be.

That said to get in the mood.I put my Wander the West tee shirt on,opened up the camper, set at the table,
got my laptop and did a slid show of previous trips.
Not a bad trip .Gas mileage was terrific.And no road fatigue.

That's the best I can do for now.
Frank

We have reservations June 1-2 at a local park in the Rockies. Going to check out the new camper build and hopefully get some hiking in. Lots of snow higher up, so it will be a flatter hike. Still, getting out there will be awesome.

Caveat, this isn't happening when the virus ends, it is happening during the slow re-opening tests our local leadership is trying to see how we can open up services and still have our medical system cope with the results as the pandemic carries on.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Not a bad trip .Gas mileage was terrific.And no road fatigue.

Frank
.............and incorporate the benefits of a virtual trip - great mileage and no road fatigue :)

Cross the boarder for my bucket list trip to the St. Lawrence River. So I can continue my goal of wearing out the hull on my Ranger. Then take Carol out west to visit the wonderful places you guys post. Lastly wear out the camper and Ford before we go in the dirt. :)

Having had to cancel our trip to Asia in April, the good ole camper will come to the rescue with a long, drawn out, northerly loop this summer.

I can't think that far ahead but as we gradually reopen I'll be taking off somewhere. I'll be heading up to Antelope Lake in late June so maybe a little NV exploration is in order.

Frankly, I’m looking forward to seeing and recreating with my adult children again. I had a couple raft trips with one planned in Montana and another was going to meet me for a few days of camping and fishing in BC. Those trips are both canceled. If the US/Canada border opens I may get there yet, but I doubt my Son can join me. We’ll pick it up again, whenever that is with whatever is available.

I still have the rest of spring and all summer in front of me, so some things outdoors are going to responsibly happen. Fortunately my part of the world is about 50% Public Domain with IMO some cool stuff, so I’m not getting shut out even if I’m still town bound. Believe it or not, the trick will be escaping others. The low woods and desert around here out of the snow have been LOADED with campers/mtn bikers/vanlifers/snowshoers/hikers/fishermen and women; and who knows what else since the lockdown began.

.............to be clear, this is an idea for a dream trip for when it is wise to be out and about again as the topic states. :)

ski3pin said:
So, thus far I'm planning to fly fish the Owyhee, hitting a hot spring or two while out there, all after getting a great breakfast at the Firesign in Tahoe City on our way out of town. I'll take the camera along.

I'm feeling so much better!

Keep 'em coming. :)

ski3pin said:
.............and incorporate the benefits of a virtual trip - great mileage and no road fatigue :)

Planning a “3 bagger” for these old bones before I can’t. Arc Dome, Mt Jefferson and Wheeler Peak in Nevada.

Attachments

• E4E88694-A228-4D77-91D6-50A20C3173AE.jpeg
    E4E88694-A228-4D77-91D6-50A20C3173AE.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 67
Back
Top Bottom