Where are your favorite campgrounds?

CAPTAIN COORS

I know your saying CAMPGROUNDS!. Most of you are like Linda and me when it comes to campgrounds, we avoid them like the plague. We always try to camp along a deserted FS road (WE DON'T NEED NO STINKEN CAMPGROUND). But not all campgrounds are equal and at time they are needed. Here are our three favorite spots:

1. Sunny Flat Campground Portal, Az The best birding in the US, views of the surrounding mountains are unbelievable.

2. Lockett Meadows Campgrounds Flagstaff, Az Beauitful meadows, best in Oct. when the aspens turn color

3. Kodachrome Basin State Park Connonville, Ut Beauitful area with many hiking trails

I don't like campgrounds much either but I've been to a few uncrowded ones that I really like (crowd factor related to time of year most likely):

Mattole Beach - Lost Coast California - beautiful spot - hike right into the beachfront wilderness from this campground.

Cathedral Gorge State Park - Nevada - clean, scenic, showers, even has a self-serve book exchange

Chukar Park - Eastern Oregon - just a rudimentary BLM campground but in a pretty spot and is often a stopover for me on trips to Utah or Colorado

Gold Mine near Bluff Utah, Wild Horse Canyon on the Burr Trail. The entire Vizcaino Penninsula. Baja on the Cortez side. Laguna San Ignacio and oh so many more.

DD,

Funny that you mention Cathedral Gorge, on the same day last week without talking to each other about it my wife and I both decided it would be a great stop over for a future trip to Zion. She read your thread in the Back Roads of Nevada report and I spotted it on the map and did a little on line research. About 8 hours from here and only another 2 1/2 into Zion will let us set up and enjoy the first day in the park more.

DD,

Funny that you mention Cathedral Gorge, on the same day last week without talking to each other about it my wife and I both decided it would be a great stop over for a future trip to Zion. She read your thread in the Back Roads of Nevada report and I spotted it on the map and did a little on line research. About 8 hours from here and only another 2 1/2 into Zion will let us set up and enjoy the first day in the park more.

What month are you going? You'll enjoy that campground - bring your hiking boots - the walk through the gorge is easy and really neat.

I have a soft spot for the Manzanita Lake campground in the Lassen National Park. Its a big park but its in the trees, plenty to around there. In fact its so big when I was little I got lost "in" the campground. Has (or used to have) some great Ranger presentations in the amphitheater. And all amenities, showers etc.

Tough Question...

...but I'd say:

Big Sur - Limekiln State Park
Sequoias - Mineral King/Coldsprings campground

DD,

It's looking like mid October some time but timing is still a bit up in the air. Hiking boots, bikes, full ice chest, hopefully lots of sun screen, and maybe water shoes for the Narrows, still in the planning stages.

Lazy Camp off Colson Cyn Rd.

Because it's only about 32 miles from my house, and there's a short rock garden one must traverse to reach the two camp sites at Lazy Camp, which keeps out the partiers whom may be just a mile away at Wagon Flat during long weekends, Lazy Camp is one of my favorites.

The picture doesn't do justice to the road. I was in low range and this was where I felt comfortable enough to get out and take a picture before entering the rock garden as I headed out. Closing the driver's side door at that angle was almost a chore.

I've done many one night trips to both Lazy Camp and Wagon flat without seeing another sole. Other times the road is swarmed by motor cycle riders.

Attachments

• 2007-03-24 04s.jpg
    2007-03-24 04s.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 414
Howdy all, My favorite campground is Indian Hollow Campground run by the Army Corp of Engineers here in Massachusetts. Designed for large groups, it's 2 large fields with flush toilets and hot showers. Downfall is you need a group to reserve it.

My second favorite place is the Dry River Campground in Crawford Notch NH. Very rustic, no hook ups, honor system payment on arrival or pre register online. Hot Showers are $.25 per 3 minutes, Quarters only, Full restrooms with hot water and laundry room with coin operated machines. really clean, and you can get a truck camper or small trailer in there no problem.

Ed,

Have you tried Aliso Canyon out just before New Cuyama? There's a nice little campground just on the edge of the national forest. It's not exactly a secret since is has obvious use, but its pretty quick and simple to get to. Then you're pretty close to New Cuyama in case you need to head into town for a good time at the Buckhorn:p

Good Boy George

I guess you read the latest rule for the Hog Festival, well you only need 81 more to qualify for your pig ticket, 5 or 5 posts a day will get you there.

I guess you read the latest rule for the Hog Festival, well you only need 81 more to qualify for your pig ticket, 5 or 5 posts a day will get you there.

LOL you are incessant. "Pig Ticket" :p

LOL you are incessant. "Pig Ticket" :p

So if he double post he will get there faster:D:D:D

So, with these 'fishy' rules, if I get 81 more posts (only 80 more now) do I get to come early and stay late?:D

Man, I'm Havin' A Hard Time

Bout an hour ago I stepped on my glasses, I popped out one of the lenses, I can't get it to stay back in, so I've been trying to make these posts with my left hand over my left eye, while I'm typing with my right hand, it's really not working very well, I can't see the edit button so I can fix all my mistakes, I gotta give this up for now, I think I might go blind.

Back
Top Bottom