Where have Y'all Been?

seldomseensmith

Hey all (no, I'm not from Texas)

I can't believe I've been a member of the TC forum on RV.net for the last three years and I'd never heard of Wander the West until this week! I hope you won't hold it against me that I own an Outfitter popup and not a FWC, but I am totally down with the off-road advantages of the smaller rigs.

Anyway, I was raised in AZ, lived all over the West, but I am especially fond of the Four Corners area where I've spent nearly every moment of my free time over roughly the last 15 years exploring off the beaten path. I recently started a blog dedicated almost entirely to travels of the Colorado Plateau, primarily N. AZ and southern Utah. If you are interested, find it at http://thejourneyofseldomseen.blogspot.com/

One of my more recent trips was to revisit Smoky Mountain Road over the Kaiparowits. It is a rough but undeniably beautiful and remote area, and only those who are not in a hurry should take the trip.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing from like minded folks about their trips around the area.

Welcome!

Great blog, thanks for sharing that. It is also one of my favorite areas. In fact, my camper shares something in common with you:

DSC02722.jpg

going to be through that area next week

actually, making a mad dash through Arches and Canyonlands on our way east to Cimarron and Albuquerque....probably too many miles in too little time but no choice....

seeing an Outfitter caused me to start looking at pop-ups....eventually bought an ATC Panther.....

like your blog!

Welcome to the board! We have a handful of Outfitter owners on the board so you should be alright :) I envy you for living in the Four Corners area. Looking forward to seeing some of your adventures!

Brett13,

I like the name on your camper - we should all be like boat owners and give our rigs names and home "ports". I appreciate that you folks don't bite, even though I obviously did not have the good sense to buy an ATC or FWC instead of an Oufitter. I used to have a hardside, but when the time came to replace it I didn't realize there were so many other pop-up options available.

I definitely like the lower profile and COG, as well as the fact that when running the many very rough roads in my neighborhood, I don't get seasick from the violent side to side motion I had with my old rig.

Anyone wanting to visit this part of the country please feel free to pick my tiny little brain for ideas and suggestions. I haven't been everywhere yet, but I'm working on it! In my humble opinion that's what makes these forums so great.

Wow, where have you been? Welcome to the forum!

Great start to your blog. Southern Utah is a real paradise for the curious explorer. I did a very similar trip on the Smoky Mtn Rd in April - pics & trip report here - and you're right, it's an amazing trek.

Don't worry about the brand of camper you have. I think we all welcome travelers who share great pics and detailed info. Hope to see more of your trips posted here.

:thumb:

Kcowyo -

Just finished your trip report... what a gas, and in 4 days no less. What part of the Cowboy State do you hail from? I used to live in Pinedale, and Utah was where I went to get away after a loooooong winter.

I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to visit Cathedral Valley - Caineville Wash Road is one of my favorite backcountry trips in the Capitol Reef area, and there is plenty to see. I recommend taking FS 206 off highway 72 (the one between Loa and I-70) over Thousand Lake Mountain to FS 20 - the views from above east to the valley and the Henry Mountains are awesome. You can come out on highway 24 on Caineville Wash Rd. or the other way in - can't think of the name off hand but it is just east of the Notom - Bullfrog turnoff (duh - I think it's called "Cathedral Valley Road")

ThousandLake2.jpg

The San Rafael Swell is another one of my favorites, although I haven't spent as much time there as I'd like. Having to work for a living is VERY inconvenient!

Back
Top Bottom