Where is the "All of the above" camper section?

Brandon

Advanced Member
I have an 07 dakota, 4 door.

Trying to decide whether or not it is worth putting a smaller cabover on it. It does seem like there are more options than the two forums here. Does anyone rent the campers? It would sure be nice to try one out for a weekend before dumping 10k +..

A little background..

I have two kids and a wife so that makes 4 of us. I don't mind a tent but my wife wants a bit more creature comfort but not to the extent of a home on wheels. I am an engineer/fabricator and my wife is a photographer/interior designer so I was considering a "bare bones" top and designing the inside myself. I'd want an outside shower, inside heater, wife wants a/c (road trips in the summer).

Options for a dakota so far:

SIX-PAC T-100SD
Bobcat
http://www.fourwh.com/falcon.htm
http://www.northern-lite.com/lite610.html

Attachments

• IMG_1099.jpg
    IMG_1099.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 118
Try to buy? Would be nice but I doubt anyone will do it. I"ll do a winter camping trip with ya. While you're freezing your ass off listnening to my heater run. I might just be able to change your mind.

It really is age related. Even if I'd had the money I don't know that I'd have been interested in my twenties. And thats not a bad thing. I"m glad I can still think about sleeping under the stars even if my body says no..

Try to buy? Would be nice but I doubt anyone will do it. I"ll do a winter camping trip with ya. While you're freezing your ass off listnening to my heater run. I might just be able to change your mind.

It really is age related. Even if I'd had the money I don't know that I'd have been interested in my twenties. And thats not a bad thing. I"m glad I can still think about sleeping under the stars even if my body says no..

I hear you there, I used to just be able to sleep on the ground - pad required now. I just can't decide of there will be enough room to fit the four of us in there somehow. Kids are 5 and 8 right now. We are currently planning a two week summer vacation road trip from Sacramento out to Colorado and up to Yellowstone, then on to Washington and back down to Sacramento hence the research into the camper options..

You've probably noticed that these units are somewhat hard to find/very easy to sell when the time comes to do so. This makes the purchase a bit less risky, IMO. You definitley aren't buying a "pop up trailer" that will be hard to sell later...

Your family is growing quick. Been there, done that...LOL. Even so...you have a few good years of use before the kids get so big they won't fit.....and by that time they just won't wanna GO CAMPING anyway....so it's a wash.

We cram 3 adults and 3 full-size dogs in our Hawk....and while it's tight...it's also family.

If you retain the "this is better than sleeping in a tent" attitude vs. a "but a motorhome has SO MUCH MORE room (and a TV/microwave/shitter)" attitude the FWC/ATC rigs will serve you well.

good luck in your quest

mtn

http://www.pbase.com/gsears3025/atc_bobcat_review

I think I like this guys setup. I am a bit disappointed to hear that the heater is too noisy to run all night. Also curious as to how he is running the heater, doesn't it run off of propane and if he doesn't have the cabinets where is the tank?

I am sure I will need to talk to ATC but would someone know the approximate damage for something like the guys in the review?

I don't really get the icebox, if you don't have a true refrigerator (no ice) it seems like you might as well bring an ice chest that you can set outside..

Thanks..

http://www.pbase.com/gsears3025/atc_bobcat_review

I think I like this guys setup. I am a bit disappointed to hear that the heater is too noisy to run all night. Also curious as to how he is running the heater, doesn't it run off of propane and if he doesn't have the cabinets where is the tank?

I am sure I will need to talk to ATC but would someone know the approximate damage for something like the guys in the review?

I don't really get the icebox, if you don't have a true refrigerator (no ice) it seems like you might as well bring an ice chest that you can set outside..

Thanks..

The heater makes some noise but not a big deal to me. It sure is nice to keep the inside 25 degrees warmer than the outside. Two adults and two kids would be real tight but you might relieve some of that by having a external screen tent or a tent for the kids at least for rainy days. They might attract bears :eek:

It sounds like you could sleep the children on the couch in cold or rainy weather, but in a tent or shelter on nice evenings. I agree with Barko that the furnace isn't loud enough to really bother after a couple nights getting used to it. Individual choice I guess. The upper bunk is seriously large with queen size sleeping area, so figure that into your plans. You might do a mock up using the dimensions on the ATC web site to get an idea of how everyone would fit.

I don't think the heater is too loud when it is operating correctly. However, mine squeaks and it does keep me up at night and I'm not sure that there is a solution other than replacing it completely.

It sounds like you could sleep the children on the couch in cold or rainy weather, but in a tent or shelter on nice evenings. I agree with Barko that the furnace isn't loud enough to really bother after a couple nights getting used to it. Individual choice I guess. The upper bunk is seriously large with queen size sleeping area, so figure that into your plans. You might do a mock up using the dimensions on the ATC web site to get an idea of how everyone would fit.

Is there an actual floor plan with dimensions I didn't see? I could lay it out on the family room floor :)

Is there a weight rating up top? We all sleep in our Queen bed from time to time and could manage in bad weather..

Any actual dimensions much appreciated

Hi Brandon -

I think you and I are in the same boat when it comes shopping around. I don't have a camper, travel trailer or rv yet, but really want to spend some quality time in the outdoors with my family. I have a 1/2 ton truck and currently use it to haul a horse trailer and would love to make some modifications to fit an FWC Hawk or even a light hard side like www.panthercampers.com or an S650 from Six-Pac.

Let's face it, I'm a guy with a wife and 13 year old daughter. Their idea of roughing it and mine are a bit different. They lean towards the small travel trailer with full bathroom and I lean towards having camper and horse trailer together.

I don't mind using the nature way of marking a turf or using a portapotti for the more serious matters and all I really care about on the indoors is keeping out of the elements (AC & Heat which you can get in an FWC Hawk) and have a place for us to sleep. Sink and cooktop would be nice. I'm torn about the ice box/cooler/3way fridge/Engel situations as I study this.

Pretty much it's really family meeting time to see what give and take everybody is willing to do.

Jeff

Hi Brandon -

I think you and I are in the same boat when it comes shopping around. I don't have a camper, travel trailer or rv yet, but really want to spend some quality time in the outdoors with my family. I have a 1/2 ton truck and currently use it to haul a horse trailer and would love to make some modifications to fit an FWC Hawk or even a light hard side like www.panthercampers.com or an S650 from Six-Pac.

Let's face it, I'm a guy with a wife and 13 year old daughter. Their idea of roughing it and mine are a bit different. They lean towards the small travel trailer with full bathroom and I lean towards having camper and horse trailer together.

I don't mind using the nature way of marking a turf or using a portapotti for the more serious matters and all I really care about on the indoors is keeping out of the elements (AC & Heat which you can get in an FWC Hawk) and have a place for us to sleep. Sink and cooktop would be nice. I'm torn about the ice box/cooler/3way fridge/Engel situations as I study this.

Pretty much it's really family meeting time to see what give and take everybody is willing to do.

Jeff

I was thinking I could do a shell camper with one of these on some sort of hinged table that can flip up for space saving but still have some bells and whistles

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170357824964&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Just put a container of water on top with a fitting outside going to the sink and you have gravity feed, bucket for drain or plumb to outside.

Just exploring options right now..

I have a small trailer I can haul junk it or the idea of no trailer is nice. Horse trailer would be nice but my dakota is a bit small for that ;)

My horse trailer encloses two $hay$ $Eating$ $Monster$ we ride regularly. So when it's full it's about 5,000 lbs. Although I really need to confirm that number at the scales since the trailer can be grossed at 7,000. My personal wish is to put super springs, get E-rated tires, and a sway bar on to have both camper and horse trailer.

But for you a simple FWC and your small trailer can take you to a site to settle down and have fun.

My boss has the complete opposite of everybody on this board: F550 PSD, Host Triple Slide Camper and uses a Wells Cargo to carry bikes, tables, BBQ etc.

Jeff

I was thinking of the dimensions given on some of the Bobcat floor plan photos on the ATC site.
https://www.allterraincampers.com/Bobcat_Floor_Plan.html
You also get an idea of the space utilization from the photos. As for weight limitations, I'd call Marty for that one. I get the impression the bed is very strong. It is certainly good for two. I could see 2 adults and one child on top bed (75" X 69" bed) and one (larger) child on the lower (76" X 28" bed), maybe two children on lower bed as long as both are small and get along. With a shell, you could probably work out a simple bunk bed or beds on either side of the camper to accommodate the kids, beds that fold out of the way or stack when you are moving. Think an 'L' shape upper bed and the standard lower bed or small beds opposite each other on the sides of the camper.

Went and talk to Marty and the other ATC guys today. I'm going to work on funds for a while, the goal is to have something for July.

Just to put things in perspective - if a used one ever did come up what do they go for?

The good news is your investment holds its value well. The bad news is, well more of the same.

My horse trailer encloses two $hay$ $Eating$ $Monster$ we ride regularly. So when it's full it's about 5,000 lbs. Although I really need to confirm that number at the scales since the trailer can be grossed at 7,000. My personal wish is to put super springs, get E-rated tires, and a sway bar on to have both camper and horse trailer.
f everybody on this board: F550 PSD, Host Triple Slide Camper and uses a Wells Cargo to carry bikes, tables, BBQ etc.

Jeff

If you weigh it take a good look at total gross weight. With the 150, passengers and gear, and the added camper you are likely to be at the limit and pulling the 2 hay burners will put a serious load (overload) on any 150 regardless of tires and beefed suspension. That's a heavy load on a light duty truck. Maybe the 550 would work (-:

Thanks Barko for the thoughts. My Boss's F550 has been interesting and that's another story. My 1/2 ton is a 2008 Toyota Tundra Crew Max, so I'm pretty limited. However I've been still having a great time getting out to the outdoors with the Hay Burners. Today is a great example -70 degrees, no wind, no bugs and a great place for a ride. Life is good.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom