Where To Buy Best Quality Lift Struts For FWC

Wallowa

Double Ought
I have 30Lb struts on the rear of my '16 Hawk and will be adding 25 lbs of solar panel to rear of roof. I may then be in need of 40lb rear struts.

What are the best quality struts and where can you buy them? FWC does not appear to have a parts department on-line.

Thanks...Phil

Back in 2010 I got mine from Suspra.
Went right to their website.

I think now it takes a bit of searching
through it to find what you want.Or call them.

Don't know how much the prices differ from other sites.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Back in 2010 I got mine from Suspra.
Went right to their website.

I think now it takes a bit of searching
through it to find what you want.Or call them.

Don't know how much the prices differ from other sites.
Frank

Thanks....I may have miss-measured but I have the compressed length at 22" and extended at 35"...nothing fits that on Suspra but I will call them..

Appreciate the input...

Phil

Thanks Paul....yes, I did know that they were not a Toyota product... :cool: ...appreciate the lead and will check with Portland dealer; have asked 'FWC sales' but no answer from factory..

Can someone confirm my measurements? 22" closed and 35" open on a Hawk. Tried to measure ball to ball.

My OEM front struts are 40lbs and rear are 30lbs...existing FWC 160w panel is closer to front so I assume that is why the differential.

Phil

Bought them from Suspa direct.

40 lbs, C16-15952

https://shop.suspa.com/c16-15952-gas-spring-p80.aspx

There was a nice product catalog that had them listed but can not find it. will look again.

60 lbs is , C16-10198

When you go to replace them I have used a small thin ratcheting strap to compress them to length for install. Use a small screwdriver and put it in the clip end to spread out the clip over the ball and pull off. putting on I also used the screwdriver to spread out the clip and was easier to slide on.

pvstoy said:
Bought them from Suspa direct.

40 lbs, C16-15952

https://shop.suspa.com/c16-15952-gas-spring-p80.aspx

There was a nice product catalog that had them listed but can not find it. will look again.

60 lbs is , C16-10198

When you go to replace them I have used a small thin ratcheting strap to compress them to length for install. Use a small screwdriver and put it in the clip end to spread out the clip over the ball and pull off. putting on I also used the screwdriver to spread out the clip and was easier to slide on.

Many thanks....this looks like what I want...https://shop.suspa.com/c16-15952-gas-spring-p80.aspx...while I measured 22' compressed it may not be entirely compressed but the extended 35" does seem correct. I have two emails into 2 FWC dealers asking about these struts....if no response I buy from Suspa...

Appreciate the help...oh, 60 pound strut might end up working against me! I assume the initial extension would be tough working against the gas cylinder...

Phil

Wallowa said:
Many thanks....this looks like what I want...https://shop.suspa.com/c16-15952-gas-spring-p80.aspx...while I measured 22' compressed it may not be entirely compressed but the extended 35" does seem correct. I have two emails into 2 FWC dealers asking about these struts....if no response I buy from Suspa...

Appreciate the help...oh, 60 pound strut might end up working against me! I assume the initial extension would be tough working against the gas cylinder...

Phil
From FWC:
Normally, 30# struts are installed at the factory if there are no accessories on the roof such as a Yakima system or solar panels. The struts can be upgraded to 40# for better lifting power but, we don’t recommend using struts and stronger than that due to the difficulty pulling the roof back down. We can sell you the struts at a cost of $300.00. You can look online to see if you can find them any cheaper. The size of the strut is, 36” with a 10mm end fitting for a ball stud.

If you search for

site:www.wanderthewest.com gas strut

you will find several threads discussing struts including a pdf from fwc.

Paul

That price of $300 is absurd....even for 4 struts...unless they are gold plated...what brand of shocks are they...doesn't matter...

And yes, my Hawk came with Yakima rails and a 160w panel so why the 30lb rear struts and 40lb front struts?

=============================================================================

Product Part Number Price C16-15952 Gas Spring

C16-15952
$32.00

add_to_cart.gif

gasspring13.jpg
View Enlarged Image

*New part with 5 year warranty*
Direct from SUSPA Inc. and made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Only parts purchased directly from the SUSPA Online Store carry the SUSPA 5 year manufacturers warranty.
Center-to-Center Length * Extended 35.43" (900mm) * Compressed 19.29" (490mm) Force 40 lbs (178 N)

[SIZE=10pt]*Please Note* If your existing part number does not exactly match this part number internal components could be different. For technical assistance call 616-241-4200. All online sales are final.[/SIZE]

Wallowa said:
That price of $300 is absurd....even for 4 struts...unless they are gold plated...what brand of shocks are they...doesn't matter...

And yes, my Hawk came with Yakima rails and a 160w panel so why the 30lb rear struts and 40lb front struts?

Did I miss something about what you are referring to $300 pricing in your comment above??

My 2015 flatbed Hawk had 20 pounds front and back from the factory. When I questioned them they said the wrong ones got installed.

I put solar panels and a heavier rear vent and put 60 front , 40 rear. The rear needed more and now have 60 front and rear and I'm happy. I need to help pull the front down a little.

pvstoy said:
Did I miss something about what you are referring to $300 pricing in your comment above??

My 2015 flatbed Hawk had 20 pounds front and back from the factory. When I questioned them they said the wrong ones got installed.

I put solar panels and a heavier rear vent and put 60 front , 40 rear. The rear needed more and now have 60 front and rear and I'm happy. I need to help pull the front down a little.

Thanks, may go 60lb rear...the 40lb front seems fine...you have solar panelS; what panels [weight]?

The $300 referenced in post #8 came from FWC....heck, I can't get them to return my email questions...so be it.

Phil

I might go 40 rear as 20 pounds more in shock poundage might do it for you. Going 60 is a big jump and you may not be able to pull the top down. After you get the panels on the roof all set, then you can try the 30 pounders on the rear and see how much more it might take. You have 40's in the front you can put them on the rear and try the rear with those before you buy. Easy enough to take off and try.

I believe the Flatbed Hawk roof weight is different than regular Hawk?

Remember that you are not getting much assist from the shocks on the first 6 inch's of lift as the shock is more horizontal angle than vertical.

I have a Maxx air vent in the rear slightly heavier that the Fantastic and three Overland 160 watt panels in-between the vents on a custom frame.

Good advice...also re-reading the use of the two vent fans to raise or lower top is another aid if needed...understood about lift not occurring until a 6" rise in top...your flatbed Hawk roof may be larger?

FYI Sean @ FWC just emailed me with a quote for the 40lb struts [$50 each + $10 shipping]...I just confirmed on my present rear struts [30lb] that they are C16-22241..

Anyone out there with 60lb struts on rear that wish to chime in? Tough to lower?

Ps...Just saw the "three Overland 160w" panels which if I am correct will weigh in at about 45-50 lbs total and my 2 panels [ Zamp 160w + the to be added Zamp 170w] will be close to 51 lbs total.

PPs...Sean just called me back; 60lbs are probably too much...he may have 50lb struts and is checking on that...cost of struts does not vary with pound rating....other wise will go with 40lb struts...

Wallowa said:

Product Part Number Price C16-15952 Gas Spring

C16-15952
$32.00

add_to_cart.gif

gasspring13.jpg
View Enlarged Image
*New part with 5 year warranty*
Direct from SUSPA Inc. and made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Only parts purchased directly from the SUSPA Online Store carry the SUSPA 5 year manufacturers warranty.Center-to-Center Length * Extended 35.43" (900mm) * Compressed 19.29" (490mm) Force 40 lbs (178 N)

*Please Note* If your existing part number does not exactly match this part number internal components could be different. For technical assistance call 616-241-4200. All online sales are final.
I purchased from a different source. I think Suspa. Yes. The $300 price tag is a reach.

Here are some pictures that might aid you in install removal. Screwdriver for install and removal while the ratcheting strap for install. Hard to compress at just the right length to match both balls.

20201208_115159_resized.jpg20201208_115118_resized.jpg

My struts from Suspa are # C16 15952, #40, extended 35.4", collapsed 19.29". Price each $32. That's the current price.
When you click on the post that "pvstoy" posted it doesn't list all the struts. You need to search the #40 one by part number
C16 15952. It comes up and gives all the info.
Frank

Sorry to duplicate this info.

Gemini Gas Struts from Canada. I replaced my Suspa's and they have been great for the last couple years... #'s listed in the Post 13 link.

Back
Top Bottom