Where to go for Christmas? Baja or SW tour?

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
We are considering taking a longer stretch of time over the holidays. And I'm looking for ideas or suggestions for a winter trip to warmer climates.

The Opportunity
Christmas is a Wednesday, so who would work on Christmas eve? Well, heck if you take off Tuesday, why work Monday? Ergo: Christmas vacation can be rationalized to start as early as Friday after work on December 20th. Am I right?

Conversely, New Years Day is also a Wednesday, meaning the first possible day back to work is a Thursday Jan 2. But if you manage to take off the Thurs and Friday after New Years, then the first day back to work would be January 6th. Am I right?

Theoretically, that's 16 semi-legit days off! Also, a huge opportunity to take a longer trip. Which brings me, in a long winded way to my topic:

Option A: Head South, Young Man!
It will be cold and the daylight will be short, so we're thinking south. We usually spend time in the lower valleys of DV over Christmas, where the days can be warmish. Since we have more time available, we are looking for ideas farther south and in the lower deserts. I've not explored much south of Zion or Moab, so maybe look for ideas in red rock country? Someday I aspire to get to the North Rim (closed in winter), but maybe we could ski in? Further south, Ansel did a bunch of road trips to Canyon de Chelly country, so I could be inspired by the photography of that area too. Being from No Cal, we haven't been to AZ or NM to explore those states. Mostly we know UT: Zion, Bryce, Escalante, Moab. But I'm concerned most of that would be too cold and snowy over Christmas. Maybe those assumptions are incorrect? I've been snowed out in Zion before!

Option B: Head for Baja!!!!
Easy sell for me. When I lived in San Diego, I was across the border frequently. SR is not so sure. It would be awesome to kayak Bahia de los Angeles, and explore some emply beaches. But it's prime season and we're not in tune with the cool and safe places to camp. I could use some updated coaching there. Would the Pacific side be too cold for camping? We kayak, not surf. From where we live it's a day and a half to the border, so we would have maybe eight to ten days. We also want to travel with our dog, so have to brush up on regulations.

Option C: Fill in the Blank?

Any ideas from experienced travelers would be appreciated. It's going to be fun to look at the possibilities and research the trip. We work too much and don't travel enough!

Andy & Susan

I live in ST. George Utah and usually we are getting into freezing temps each night around Christmas at 3000 feet. We will usually see 50's and 60;s during the day and sunny. Zion and Bryce will be colder with Bryce being one of the coldest spots in the state, it's at 8300'.
The good news is there are almost no people.
All or the high country will usually have snow by then.
It a long ski in from the end of the road to the North Rim but there is a lodge at the start of the ski that may be open, the services in the park are all closed, you can pick up a back country permit in St.George if you are going to overnight camp in GC park.

It's a long drive but Big Bend National Park is usually great that time of year, canoe or kayak the Rio Grande.

Dsrtrat

Thanks DsrtRat,

St. George is a great jumping off point for all kinds of adventure. I figure Bryce and the high country will be out of our range without making it more of a ski trip :)

I've been to Snow Cyn. State Park, when it was cold & snowy in Zion. Are there any other lower elevation areas to explore there abouts?

Does anyone know if Toroweap is open in December?

Andy

Toroweap-Tuweap area is open all year and is at a low enough elevation that it is usually fairly warm over there. The campground faces south east so it catches the sun. It is best approached on the main road from the north that time of year as the road over Mt. Trumbell is often pretty bad. Whitmore Wash is also a nice area and the trail to the river is much more hiker friendly than the Lava Falls trail at Tuweap.

There are many other hiking and biking trails around St. George and cross country skiing in Cedar Breaks and Pine Valley if there is snow.
Lift served skiing at Brian head an 1 1/2 hour drive from St. George.
Mt. bike, ski, road bike and hiking are all great that time of year. I tailor my day around what the weather is doing.

Check at the interagency office in St. George for road conditions before roaming around the AZ strip and have a back up plan as there is no cell service on most of that area. It is winter so it can storm at any time, don't venture out there if the long range forecast look iffy.

There are out of the way camping areas on BLM land if you want to avoid the city and Snow Canyon is always an option.
Hope this helps.
Dsrtrat

Andy ,
I'm not much of a Cortez guru but it's pretty hard to beat kayaking in Bahia Concepcion. Absolutely world class. You won't be alone but the camping is pretty picturesque. Anywhere on the Cortez side is. If you feel the need to boondock and get away from all of the snowbirds that is easily done too. The pacific wouldnt be too cold necessarily but probably not what you are looking for. Lots of wind. But far more desolate depending on where you go and and of course the swell forecast ;-). As for the dog issue, ask your vet for the international vaccination card, you'll be fine. I have never been asked (going back my last two dogs), I've pretty much stopped bothering with it.

Andy,

Last year over the holidays Simimike, Doug Stewart (Stew), D and I did the southwest. We met up at Coral Pink Sand Dunes where it snowed on us. The next day we went to get permits for The Wave but ended up not even bothering due to weather. We moved on to Canyon de Chelly where we spent Christrmas. Had the campground to ourselves. Temps in the 20's with a light dusting. Headed to Grand Canyon where snow closed the roads through the park. By then the Californians (Mike and us) were burned out on the cold and headed west. Finally got some cold but clear weather at Valley of Fire NE of Vegas.
You can't plan the weather and it could be beautiful in the southwest over the coming holidays. Or it could be bad again. Same goes for Baja. Typically you should have good weather at either local. In Baja, the Pacific coast should be much like the Pacific coast in CA. - foggy mornings with cool days. The Sea of Cortez side will be warmer. But it is also a popular time of year to be down there. The best beaches will be crowded with snowbirds, and it may be hard to get a good campsite. Sunman frequents the west coast and Camelracer the east coast. Hopefully they will chime in with some good advice.
Ultimately, my choice would be Baja. You can do different locations in the southwest with less time and less planning in the future. But Baja requires a longer time away and that is hard to come by. If this is one of the rare occasions where you have that time, I say take advantage of it.

edit - too funny. Sunman chimed in while I was typing.

Jay's SGH-i917_000053.jpg

Requesom.jpg

elrequeson10.jpg

Playa El Requeson, Bahia Concepcion

Lighthawk said:
Theoretically, that's 16 semi-legit days off! Also, a huge opportunity to take a longer trip.
It's funny that every time I see a trip planning post like this, it does not bring to mind places we've been. It brings dreams of places we have not yet visited. If we were looking at a block of time like that we would start researching the terrain, environment, and history of southern Arizona. :)

Good feedback, everyone. Just what I wanted to hear: pros/cons and suggestions to all points South.

Sunni, I respect your Baja experience. Good to know the doggie issue is minor. I don't think they ever asked us at the Tecate crossing!

Thanks for some insights in the SW, Ted. We've not visited Canyon de Chelly, nor Coral Sands, or Toroweap either for that matter.
The siren of Baja is strong, too. We'll have to let this percolate for a while and see what we shall see. Our dreaming and researching is activated, per Ski.

Thanks everyone, and anyone else who has suggestions, for a solstice tour heading south.
Keep 'em coming!

Andy,

you'll freeze your butts off in the SW. Baja still has a few places where you can be alone. Bahia De Las Animas, just south of Bay of LA would be low to zero in population. A really gorgeous Sea of Cotez trip is the lonely coast going north from La Paz to San Evaristo. I have had warm times in Baja during xmas break. Sometimes the water has been incredibly warm, the sumer warmth not yet left.

Pics: San Evaristo and Bahia De Las Animas both in December.

Animas IMGP0384.jpeg

EvaristoImg0105.jpeg

Big Bend NP is a long drive from CA but it is warm down there! You might try to arrive after New Year's to avoid the mobs. SemiMike, Barko, HIttheroad and I met up there a few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom