Where to install bulky Victron mppt 100/30 controller?

muttmaster

Finally ready to upgrade Solar charging components. I was little surprised how big the Victron 100/30 is. Not sure if it is going to fit in the backside of where the old ZAmp controller is located, and not sure what to do about the hole too. I assume I will need to take the sink off in my 2016 Grandby with side dinette to installed the Victron behind the hole.
I have read recommendations to installed the Victron as close to the batteries as possible, but seems like more work and potentially loss of storage space. Also I worry about heat dissipation issue from the Victron.
Any suggestions from Grandby owners who has installed the 100/30 would be appreciated.
I also just ordered a Bougerv 180 watts panel to replace the stock ZAmp 160. Will shave 10 lbs off the roof. 20% off right now.

Our's is installed in the same spot that the factory installed the smaller Overland Solar mppt controller - inside one of the cabinets. With our side-dinette Grandby, the cabinets are all on the driver's side and the batteries are located in the passenger's side front corner. So, it is a moderate distance away. We haven't had any issues with it.

Victron MPPT Controller Install Location-2-med.jpg

Thanks for the pic. I will probably have to sacrifice some storage space and put it where you have installed. I like the cover plate and the monitor install. Where did you get the same colored wood panel as the cabinet?

muttmaster said:
Thanks for the pic. I will probably have to sacrifice some storage space and put it where you have installed. I like the cover plate and the monitor install. Where did you get the same colored wood panel as the cabinet?
It came with the original Overland Solar system installed by FWC. The Overland Solar controller and display are re-branded Victron products. In fact, I'm using the Overland Solar panel display with the Victron mppt cotnroller so I can see the battery voltage without having to open the app. The BMV 712 display is also the same size. So, you might check with FWC and see if they would sell you the panel. However, also check with KP Pawley at Zero Declination. He sells a panel that is designed to cover the hole left when when you are upgrading the Zamp to Victron components:

https://www.zerodeclination.com/https/wwwzerodeclinationcom/shop/zs30-bmv712-display-adapter-plate

Thanks a lot for tip. I knew I could count of wise consult on this forum. Much appreciated.

heinphoto said:
Our's is installed in the same spot that the factory installed the smaller Overland Solar mppt controller - inside one of the cabinets. With our side-dinette Grandby, the cabinets are all on the driver's side and the batteries are located in the passenger's side front corner. So, it is a moderate distance away. We haven't had any issues with it.

attachicon.gif
Victron MPPT Controller Install Location-2-med.jpg
Same place I put mine. Works out great.

I placed mine as close as possible to the batteries in the same cabinet as all the other electrical stuff. In place of the old controller/display I mounted a Victron BMV battery monitor. Heat has not been a problem, the Victron Orion DcDc charger does put out a lot of heat.

Dean

Back
Top Bottom