Where to Place After Market Hot Water Heater

Mikeb

Has anyone installed a hot water heater in a Grandby that did not have one? If so, what type and where did you put it. From what I can tell, the only place for it is under the sink.

I'm looking at either a Suburban 4 gallon propane or a Seaward 3 gallon electric. I am in the boat business and we put the Seawards in our Cruisers. They have the option of using heat generated from the engine(s) but those connections can be capped off and you can go straight electric.

My thought process is... when we are off the grid, we can fire up the Honda 2000 and have hot water pretty quickly or when on the grid just plug in.

These pics were from before my time.

(maybe 2000 - 2001 pictures)

This customer took the cabinet front off and reworked the cabinets.

Added the hot water and outside shower when FWC didn't offer it back then.

It looked like he did a great job with it.

Hope this helps a little if you do decide to add the hot water to your camper.

The hardest part might be reframing the driver's side aluminum frame to match the hot water heater sizing.

The campers were NOT pre-framed for the addition of a hot water heater back then.

Happy Camping !

:)

Attachments

• 11111.JPG
    11111.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 385
  • 44444.jpg
    44444.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 419
  • 333333.jpg
    333333.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 394
The campers were NOT pre-framed for the addition of a hot water heater back then.

Happy Camping !

:

Are there more sissies today?? :p

Stan,

This is great info...thanks.

One of the reasons I was leaning toward the Seaward is that there is no compromise to the aluminum frame or skin. The trade off is that I would have to use the generator when off the grid.

More thinking to do.....

Mike

Just to throw one more option into the mix: Atwood 6 Gallon Gas Water Heater, mounted where the propane was mounted (i.e. up high on the drivers side) and move the propane down low, where FWC is mounting them now (i.e. to the drivers side of the rear door). It is still a work in progress, but that is the plan so far. I have moved the propane door and plan on looking into the placement of the water heater in the next week or so.

Do you have a driver's side window? Could that be used to install the HW heater? I've thought about an upgrade like that too. But I'm never (really? never?) going to get a generator so it's gotta be propane.

Back
Top Bottom