Which thermometer for fridge?

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
I know a number of people have wireless thermometers to monitor their fridge temp. I'd like to join the ranks. Looking on line, a lot have pretty poor reviews. I'd like to hear from WTW members what they are using.

Thanks, Ted

fish more said:
Keep it simple, just a little thermometer, just like Mom used. One less thing that needs batteries !
This is what I have on my new compressor fridge.

On the old Norcold 3 way I had a Acurite, the sender was in a zip lock bag with the air sucked out and rubber bands around it. The receiver hung next to my read view mirror. Worked great and saved me several time when the temp when up driving.

Less than $10 at Walmart.

I'm curious as to why some are feeling the need to monitor the temperature of their compressor refrigerators so closely?

I got one to get my temp dialed in. Also the fridge will shut down when battery is low so can watch for potential spoilage. I don't really check it that often though just in extreme conditions.

I picked up a cheap(acurite I think) remote type from WM. Gives me the temp inside the fridge without having to open the door to ck. Valuable tool for tracking temp variations as the day heats up or cools down so you can make adjustments as needed.

LookyLou said:
I'm curious as to why some are feeling the need to monitor the temperature of their compressor refrigerators so closely?
In a typical year the temperatures in our camper ranges between the low 20s at night to the low 100s during the day, a lot more fluctuation than our home refrigerator ever experiences. It has been my experience that the temperature controllers in refrigerators, if they are thermostats at all, are very approximate devices. I find myself having to make adjustments to the temperature control from season to season if I want to keep the refrigerator temp around 38. Sometimes I even have to make adjustments from day to night when the daily outdoor temperature fluctuations are high.

Basin Deranged said:
In a typical year the temperatures in our camper ranges between the low 20s at night to the low 100s during the day, a lot more fluctuation than our home refrigerator ever experiences. It has been my experience that the temperature controllers in refrigerators, if they are thermostats at all, are very approximate devices. I find myself having to make adjustments to the temperature control from season to season if I want to keep the refrigerator temp around 38. Sometimes I even have to make adjustments from day to night when the daily outdoor temperature fluctuations are high.
Do you have a propane or compressor fridge. I had to do this with my propane but not with my compressor.

We have a simple analog fridge thermometer that hangs from the wire basket. We check it when we get something out of the fridge. Works well for us. The fridge also has a digital readout on the control panel that is pretty accurate.

Basin Deranged said:
We experience the same outside temperature variations, camping as low as 8 degrees to as high as 110. We use a $5 analog thermometer that hangs from the top shelf and only check the temp when getting something. I've found setting the fridge, Dometic 110L, at 5 pretty much keeps it where it needs to be. Have never had anything spoil in 3 years.

LookyLou said:
We experience the same outside temperature variations, camping as low as 8 degrees to as high as 110. We use a $5 analog thermometer that hangs from the top shelf and only check the temp when getting something. I've found setting the fridge, Dometic 110L, at 5 pretty much keeps it where it needs to be. Have never had anything spoil in 3 years.
My experience also with the same frig and three years of use.

billharr said:
Do you have a propane or compressor fridge. I had to do this with my propane but not with my compressor.
We switched from propane to compressor a few years ago. The propane fridge would fluctuate wildly and was incapable of lowering the inside temperature any more than 35 degrees below ambient temperature. We bought our first compressor fridge "pre-owned" from a trucker who had it in the sleeper of his big rig. We had to fiddle with it as described in my first post. I must admit that I have not yet installed a thermometer in our brand new truckfridge and, on our one 10-day trip, it seemed to keep things nice and cold at all times. I will be very happy if, once I install a thermometer in it, my experiences are the same as yours. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom