White Rim advice

Durango1

So in my time-honored "Ready, Fire, Aim" fashion I saw some sites open up for next week on the White Rim, grabbed 'em and am now suffering a bit of "permit remorse". So for you experienced White Rimmers...

1. My 4WD Ram 2500/ Flatbed Hawk has a 8 1/2 foot clearance. Will this be OK for the White Rim? And assuming dry roads (I'll cancel if the forecast looks iffy) will my all-weather Michelins be adequate? They came with the truck, are in good shape and I can't wear them out! (I've never been stuck.)

2. So how tough (scary) is it going down the Shafer Trail? I don't want to freak out my bride first thing so we can always back track from the visitor center and come in from the Potash road. Thoughts?

3. There were limited campsites available so our first night is Airport C, second night Potato Bottom B and third night (if we need it) Labryrinth B. My only concern is the 47 miles on Day 2 between Airport and Potato Bottom. Doable?

4. We do like "mild hiking" along with Sioux's obsession of bird-watching. Any do not miss side roads or trails along the way? Sights, etc?

5. I'm really into "drama-free" 4WD camping. So any hints, precautions or areas to be careful in would be greatly appreciated.

This is a serious bucket list trip that has been put off for years. We are apprehensive but also really excited. Many thanks in advance for this group's help!

Steve
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:22035]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:22034]

Steve, looks like a great trip
I can't help you, but I wish you a great trip and will look fowarded to seeing your trip report. jd

Shouldn't be a problem with your rig IF (and that is a BIG IF) the terrain is dry. Any moisture and you are probably going to have a very difficult time in certain areas.

Sounds like wet conditions are problematic in certain areas with the Quicksand Advisories.

I missed out getting a permit this past spring and didn't get into the back country with my F-350/FWC Hawk. But, I've done the route on motorcycle.

Have FUN! It is a Classic route.

I actually enjoyed the Burr Trail much more then White Rim simply due to isolation and far fewer people.

You will be fine. Schaffer trail is no big deal - Murphy's hog back and hardscarbble are the 'crux' and we have done them with snow and ice in the winter with no problems. You may want a spotter for the little bit of shelf road on the west side of Potato bottom as there are some narrow sections, but we had at least a foot of clearance with our Tacoma/Fleet flatbed combo.

Day 2 will be a bit of a slog, but if you get up early it won't be too bad.

The only advice would be to make sure your spare is in good shape, given you have highway tires, and maybe consider a plug kit and compressor.

The hike into Upheaval dome is great.

Echo other comments that you should be fine.

The hike to Upheaval Dome is a pleasant one and the road up to Moses/Zeus is also worth doing.

It will add time on the second day but drive out to White Crack and walk to the end.

Holman slot was fun but is very short.

Get the Guide to the White Rim at the visitor center since you probably don't have time to order it from snha.org before your trip.

Edit: Propane fires are allowed or they were last spring.

I appreciate the input. Sounds like we'll be fine IF the weather cooperates.

The going is slow due to a lot of bumpy rocks. Occasional sand. I only remember one spot where a tall bank was close. In general is dirt road with occasional grade. The switchbacks are kick in the pants. Love them.

Worst case scenario if weather goes bonkers is turn around and head out. Have food in Moab and relax.

https://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/Vacation/White-Rim-Trail-Day-One/i-4tRKDdv
https://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/Vacation/White-Rim-Trail-Day-Two/
https://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/Vacation/White-Rim-Trail-Day-Three/

dorocks said:
Worst case scenario if weather goes bonkers is turn around and head out. Have food in Moab and relax.
That is exactly what we plan to do! Plus while the NPS may not like us "breaking the rules" if things really get impassable we always have an extra week's worth of food, water and likker on board so we can always hunker down wherever and wait for things to dry out.

BTW, great photos and thanks to all for giving me (more or less) a two thumbs up!

Steve

+1 on the air compressor and a plug kit.
I consider these items as essentials.

Be sure to note that no pets are allowed (not even in the vehicle) while traversing the White Rim trail. No Pets has caused a lot of folks to miss out on this adventure. And don't think about sneaking a pet onto the Trail; the fine is steep (from what I hear, no first hand knowledge however) and it would be rare not to run into a Ranger.

We blast over from Grand Junction on the dual sport motorcycles with day use permits in hand. And have run into at least one NPS Ranger darn near every time.

Advmoto18 said:
+1 on the air compressor and a plug kit.
I consider these items as essentials.

Be sure to note that no pets are allowed (not even in the vehicle) while traversing the White Rim trail.
Thanks. No pets.

We do carry a plug kit and a small 12 volt air compressor. I've been thinking about upgrading to a higher capacity model for airing my tires back up. (I've never bothered airing down but thinking maybe it would be a good idea for the White Rim.) Any suggestions on compressors?

I use the Extreme Aire Magnum compressor. NOT inexpensive.

But it has a continuous duty cycle.

It takes me about 15 minutes to air up 4 tires from 35 to 65 psi. Many overlanding compressors are designed to air up tires to 35 psi without any issue. However, airing up to 65 psi puts significantly more stress on the compressor than 35 psi.

I heeded Jonathon Hanson's advice years ago. If it takes too long to air back up, you're not likely to air down in the first place. "Too long" being a subjective, self defining value. So a good quality compressor capable of airing up 4 tires to 65 psi in less than 30 minutes was an expenditure I didn't have to think too long about. I've used it many times over the past 2 years and it has always functioned flawlessly.

It does have a high amp draw, so best to run the engine when the compressor is supplying air. It is noisy so I wear ear-pro when its running. But, I have significant hearing loss and wear ear-pro around all loud noises.

We did the WR years ago. Got caught in a rain and snow storm with flash floods. One truck got stuck the other made it fine. As others have noted, be prepared if it rains. That red clay is slippery when wet. It's an awesome time down there.

Link to Bosque Bill's write up of our trip last spring. It is definitely an amazing trip and one I would happily do again.

However, with all the advice, pictures and everything else that is available on the web these days leave some things unknown to keep the sense of adventure!

Back
Top Bottom