White Rim Trail

Yetirider

Just spent 3 days biking/driving the white rim trail in the canyolands. My first actual four wheel drive trip with the new raven shell. Worked flawlessly and couldn't be happier with my purchase. My vehicle is a stock Ram 1500 with air bags and had no clearance issues. Can't wait for the next sojourn. Still figuring out what to bring along and what not to bring along. :oops:

Attachments

• Hemi.jpg
    Hemi.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 218
Congratulations! It is a great feeling setting out on the maiden voyage and even better coming home after a flawless trip. There will be many more great trips. Post a photo or two of the Rim area if you have some.

It's better to mountain bike that trail IMHO but you do need a driver to carry your gear, food, supplies....

kmcintyre said:
It's better to mountain bike that trail IMHO but you do need a driver to carry your gear, food, supplies....
I found it better riding my KTM and more enjoyable. As a close to sea level dweller, I'd have a heart attack riding my MTB there.

Thanks for your report. I'm making the journey to the White Rim trail in mid October. I'm hoping for good weather at that time. How were the trail conditions? Interested in hearing more about your trip. Any challenging areas to be aware of?

Sioux and I want to do the White Rim with our new flat bed Hawk. But our height will be a bit higher. (About 8 1/2 feet instead of our previous 8 foot clearance.) Do you (or anyone else) remember any areas that would have been tricky at 8 1/2 feet?

Thanks,
Steve

PS Got any photos? :)

I don't remember any issues with height anywhere on the trail. I don't remember any trees along the road but there are some near the river but they aren't overgrown, etc. You'd be fine.

Durango1, Just finished the WRT loop two days ago. Go for it, but watch the weather!! For us, in our 2006 Tundra and 2014 FWC Hawk, it was an excellent trip. Good friends, great weather, clear night sky with no moon, great camper, dry roads and little head-on traffic. There were several places where height and width could be troublesome, depending on your comfort level. But, we made it through with only a few scapes and dents. In several areas we had 2-3 inches of clearance on the passenger's side (ragged rock wall) and 3-4 inches on the driver's side (sheer drop off). The roads were dry for us, but I can certainly see where it could be tricky and/or dangerous if it was wet or raining.

No problem with trees, but rock overhangs occur in several areas. Our Tundra Double cab is not lifted, and with the Hawk, I'm glad we were not lifted and did not have anything on the roof taller than the vents and solar panel. There was less than a foot of height clearance. Not being lifted, we also scarped front/rear/bottom 2-3 times on several dips and sharp climbing turns. But, nothing I'm concern with. Overall, the size of the trail was almost like it was made specifically for us. It would not be that memorable if it was wide and easy.

The FWC Hawk worked perfect, however we had to make a couple modifications to it on the trail. The trail is a bit bumpy in areas, and it seems we knocked our silverware out of the drawers several times. The refrigerator door also popped open a couple times, so we tied a rope across it. We also, wisely, the day before we headed out, added a rough boot-cleaning type door mat to the the bottom step climbing into the camper. It saved a lot of dirt from getting in.

Watch the weather and have good tires with strong sidewalls. Overall, one of the best trips we have been on. Enjoy...

just wondering if anyone has anything planned for the White Rim Trail this year. Its one of my bucket list drives for the new truck and camper (although I think I'll be at the outer limit of size).

Going to be in Arches for a few days next month and hope to take the Wrangler out to Mussleman Arch, which will be a good taste of the road.

Back
Top Bottom