White Rim Trail

chnlisle

Post Master
I am so stoked. I was able to secure reservations in October to do the White Rim Trail in Cayonlands. We will be spending the first night at Hardscrabble and the next two nights at Gooseberry.

I have wanted to do this trip for years so I can hardly wait. I guess I'll have to.
Joining me will be a couple of friends from Ventura. I might even have some great news when I get back. The ranger I've been talking with in Moab is going to set me up with some almost never visited camping spots.

DD,
There is a three vehicle (and 15 person) limit per permit at backcountry sites along the White Rim. A permit is need for each group of three vehicles. A two night/three day itinerary is ideal. This would require a reservation for two campsites unless you stay at one and drive in and then drive out. We're taking our time and using three days to cover the 100 miles of the trail. This is the most popular venue in Canyonlands so the availability goes quickly.

You can get backcountry information, general maps of the park, and reservation forms by visiting the Internet Visitor Center at http://www.nps.gov/cany/ (Look for the link "site index" for easy navigation). Reservation forms can be found by following the quicklink labeled 'backcountry permits."

You can also contact the reservation office by phone at 435-259-4351 if you have specific questions. Phone hours are 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (mountain time), Monday through Friday. When their workload permits, phones are answered from 1 to 4 p.m. as well. Be aware these guys are very busy and its quite difficult to get them on the phone.

For backcountry campsite availability, it is usually best to call them at the above number to get the most accurate information. Reservations for backcountry permits must be made at least two weeks in advance of the trip start date, and can only be made by fax or by mail. They dont take email reservations. They dont take reservations over the phone.

You may find that it is already too late to get a trip for the dates you want, they welcome calls or emails discuss availability. They really try to help you find a trip that will work for you. Sites on the White Rim Trail are very popular, and are often full six months to a year in advance, especially in the Spring and Fall.

Requests for backcountry reservations must include the trip leader's name and mailing address, the dates and campsites or zones you wish to reserve, and a method of fee payment. Your daytime phone number is also helpful, Their fax number is 435-259-4285, and faxed requests must include a VISA, Mastercard, or Discover card number and expiration date. You can also mail your request
to: National Park Service, Reservation Office, 2282 S. West Resource Blvd., Moab, UT 84532.

Canyonlands National Park Reservation Office
435-259-4351 M-F 8am-12:30pm MST
(fax) 435-259-4285
canyres@nps.gov

TMI?

KC,
The only thing missing will be the ubiquious green T 100 found on every backroads website that have pix of Utah. We might spend a day or two at Goldmine camp on the San Juan near the Bluff airport when we come out.

I am so stoked.* I was able to secure reservations in October to do the White Rim Trail in Cayonlands.* We will be spending the first night at Hardscrabble and the next two nights at Gooseberry.I have wanted to do this trip for years so I can hardly wait.* I guess I'll have to.Joining me will be a couple of friends from Ventura.* I might even have some great news when I get back.* The ranger I've been talking with in Moab is going to set me up with some almost never visited camping spots.

The White Rim is an incredible trip. I did it a few times over the years on my mtn. bike, with suport vehicles. You will definately have an awesome time. Enjoy! Oh yeah, it has been a ritual.....at least with some of the group I have done it with, to get out at any riverside campground and take a dip in the river. One place you MUST see is white crack. You will have to go by bike or hike from the main road, but it is worth it. :thumb:
Have a great trip.
Paul

I am so stoked. I was able to secure reservations in October to do the White Rim Trail in Cayonlands. We will be spending the first night at Hardscrabble and the next two nights at Gooseberry.

I have wanted to do this trip for years so I can hardly wait. I guess I'll have to.
Joining me will be a couple of friends from Ventura. I might even have some great news when I get back. The ranger I've been talking with in Moab is going to set me up with some almost never visited camping spots.

We did the White Rim in 2005 and only camped for one night (White Crack). Too fast! You and your friends are doing it right by taking your time. Be sure to pick up a copy of "A Naturalist's Guide to the White Rim Trail" by David B. Williams and Damian Fagan (avaialable at the Island in the Sky Ranger Station). It has a mile by mile "trail road log" that we found very useful. Have a great trip!

You're a lucky man Pueblero! Have a great run and take a couple pics would ya!

By the way, its foggy and misting here...I know you don't miss that..the fog should lift for a nice sand storm this wekend..it is march..

TT

Thank you to all for the great suggestions and good wishes. I really wish I could take you all with me. Now that would be a party!!!

I've now got to wait 7 months but I see a trip to the Chiricahuas and 4 corners and who knows where to pass the time. I might even head to the 'Nard for a cold one.

I was trying to make a nice post but I just couldnt' do it without my jealousy showing through. Enjoy the trip and don't forget the pics.

John I'm not quite sure what you mean. I'm putting it on the truck, securing it and dirving like a bat out of hell like I always do. We take food, water the obligatory Tequila and Swiss Miss for those delicious evening tequila toddys.

What other provisions?

• Bailey's for the breakfast coffee
  • sunscreen - sure, even in October
  • extra batteries for the camera
  • a thesaurus - to use other expressions besides, "Wow!" and "Awesome!"
My other WRT tips would be -
  • Air down to around 15-18 PSI. Makes the bouncy sections less bouncy
  • Take the side route down Lathrop Canyon if it's open. Great lunch stop on the river.
  • Be prepared to make a lot of stops. You don't have to stop a lot, but it's hard not to with all of the views.
  • Give bike riders the right of way. Poor saps are trying to recreate. Help them out by keeping your dust down.
  • Bring extra shoes. If it rains it gets muddy. One raggedy pair for outside, one clean pair for inside
  • Binoculars, spotting scope, etc. Any viewing aides are a good idea
  • Gasoline - there is gas available at the RV campground at the intersection of Hwy 191 and UT 313. That's the closest available to the WRT
Then come back here and tell us all about it. Now get out there and have some fun and make me proud Tiger - :cool:

KC you should meet us there.

Bailys - never thought of it check
Sunscreen, Batts, always
If I need a thesurus rex I'll ring up Salty

Now about airing down. When I had the T 100 I would go down to 15 on sand and 25 on washboard but with these big mothers on the Dodge I'm think'n 30 would be ok but I really don't know. What are your thoughts?

As a cyclist I always give those guys a wide birth and a dust free trail. I know the joy (read pain here) of doing 100 miles on a bike.

I have the explore moab or something book and already have planned for a Lathrop side trip.

34 gal tank should do the trick.

My October is wide open at this point. Don't tempt me. But if you do, better add Crown Royal to the provisions list. Tequila and I don't dance... :eek:

You're going to have a real mixture of trail conditions; some sandy, some washboard and some imbedded small rocks to rattle your fillings loose. With 'D' rated 285/75's, I aired down to 18PSI. The heavier Dodge may be more compliant to the trail surfaces, I dunno.... You may have to feel that one out as you go.

With 34 gallons of fuel, you are all set. Keep that RV place's gas station in mind though, in case anyone needs to know where the closest gas is.

It's going to be a great trip!

Well we do have the same size tires mine are 17's. But that Cummins up front is a tad heavier than the V6. I run 60 in the front and 45 to 50 in the rear empty and 60 with the camper. I think I'll go down 10lbs at a time and see how it goes.

Thanks for the input and let us know if you're in the neghborhood.

Ch, I'm not really a check list dude but I like them for myself because I'm always forgetting stuff. I like KC's suggestions.

You say you are going with other folks. Are they taking popup campers too?

As an aside, it rained on us when we drove the WRT. It never got muddy because the rain was sort of a drizzle. The chief effect of the rain in the desert was cold. We got COLD and did not have enough cloths with us. Of course, we survived anyway. We were in a jeep. In a camper, you will have plenty of cloths. The most memorable part of the trip was the wild flowers that broke out after a day of rain. Have a close up camera for that event if it happens.

It was late May/early June when we went. Some of the toilets were old style at that time and any campground with one of those old toilets stunk, plus the flies would just about carry you off. Fortunately, we had camp sites with the new style toilets that vent themselves. As bad luck would have it, a German couple happened to be assigned to a nearby camp site swarming with flies and it freaked them out to the point that they turned around and headed out, never actually seeing much of the trail. I met and talked to them briefly. They were scared. In retrospect, I have always regretted not inviting them to camp with us. Be aware that some people you meet may need a little friendly conversation and perhaps a little help. The WRT can be daunting. I sure do wish I had been perceptive enough to see that those folks needed a little friendship and help on the trail, before they drove away. People who need it hardly ever ask for help. People who post in this web site are very unlikely to need help and we don't realize how inexperienced people can panic. Be in tune with people you meet. It can change lives for the good when people go home with a really good experience in the wilderness.

Back
Top Bottom