Who makes the best pop up truck camper

dadeger

Hello all, just joined. Need advice Looking to purchase a new truck camper to install on a 2007 tundra double cab w/ std bed. Have looked via the web at the Hallmark Milner LX, Outfitter Caribou 6.5, Four wheel Hawk 6.5 & the ATC Panther. Note: I have a boat I'll need to tow as well. Please let me know which manufacture is best.

dadeger,
If you are asking this forum you must have already made up your mind. We think the FWC and ATC are the best, lightest and most durable. For sure not the most luxurious. But if you do any off or back roading simply the best.

Thanks for the quick reply Jay! I to think that the FWC & ATC are the lightest and most durable. Have concerns about water leaks & keeping my chief of staff happy.

Welcome aboard. You won't find any lack of opinion here as to the best pop ups, hands down FWC or ATC, light, durable, versatile, etc. Since we own a FWC I have to say it's the best pop up camper, but you really can't go wrong with either. Best of Luck.

if you end up choosing the FWC or the ATC, make sure to read through this link here ...

http://www.fourwh.com/FWCvsATCcomparison.htm

I think they have a similar thread on their forum (check that out too).

We put this together so customers could see a list of the differences.

At first glance the campers look very similar, but there really is a big difference between the 2 companies, how we build the campers, and the quality of parts & pieces that go into them.

================================================

Hello all, just joined. Need advice Looking to purchase a new truck camper to install on a 2007 tundra double cab w/ std bed. Have looked via the web at the Hallmark Milner LX, Outfitter Caribou 6.5, Four wheel Hawk 6.5 & the ATC Panther. Note: I have a boat I'll need to tow as well. Please let me know which manufacture is best.

Thanks for the info!!! I have requested the FWC DVD to be mailed. The only issue I have with the FWC is the CA taxes. Wonder if there is a way to work arround.

Dadeger,
I know others here have said they notice a leak here and there but I've owned 3 FWC and never had a leak and Ive been in some pretty good rain storms with a good amount of wind. I was doing some electrical mods and painting the base of my FWC Monday so the top was up. We got a monsoon storm here and the thing didn't leak. I'm guessing about 20+ knots and 1 to 1.5 inches of rain. I don't know how much Kyle got on the south west side but it was stormin' here in Oro Valley.

Don't know how big your boat is, but a Hallmark or any of the non-FWC/ATC campers are going to really push your payload limits.

Dear dadeger--

Welcome to the forum. I carefully studied Outfitter and liked them except they had too much 'stuff' and not enough bunks.

Caribou 6.5's claimed dry weight is 950 lbs. Hawk's claimed dry weight is 700 lbs.

I once weighed my rig with my wife and I in the truck and fully loaded for a trip-- we came out 700 lbs *over* the GVWR, which is what the Hawk was supposed to weigh. So, I don't know what to believe about any of that weight stuff any longer. Here's the thread: Has anyone weighed their truck?

dadeger,

In a generic sense, aluminum popup campers will please a migrant from a tent or pickup shell. On the other hand, if you have a reluctant camping partner with little or no experience in a tent, buy the best Class A, B, or C you can afford. If your camping partner has lots of experience roughing it, loves climbing Mt. Everest, being soaking wet, has hiked the AT, grins when covered with sand, is someone who would thrive in desert combat, the lightweight popup will be wonderful! Don’t drag a softy into expedition style camping because they are nice too in their own way. A friendly woman is great, no matter what kind of RV.

John D

Welcome. Never had a leak in mine. John makes a good point but I'm guessing since you already tow a boat, your wife will welcome being a bit indoors.

Of course anyone that remembers taking down a tent in the middle of the night during a drenching rainstorm because its close to collapse, will really enjoy the luxury of an fwc/atc.

Thanks for the advise. I like the FWC but the wife wants the Hallmark Milner. Lucky to have a wife that likes to camp and fish. Going to try to keep her happy.

If you want a more full-featured camper that is still somewhat lightweight, and is built tough, take a look at Outfitter MFG.

We looked at the caribou 6.5. However after looking at manufacturing techniques and standard features think we are going for the Hallmark Milner. Only have a week or so to decide I hope to pick up the unit no later than last week of July.

I looked @ those too...far too too heavy. After reading forum posts here and elsewhere (expo) that spoke to cracked frames on the Tundra's *pseudo-truck* frame the extra 230 pounds right off the top scared me.

And from what I see at a quick glance...your 2007 may have even less of a payload rating than my 2004 has. Yikes. These "trucks" aren't really trucks in a hauling sense....honestly. They'll tow a crapload of dead weight..but haul 2000 pounds? Nope. You'll be looking for a new truck...and soon if you push this truck that far.

But hey....if you leave the wife @ home you may be OK with the Haulmark!!! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Then there's resale value. No comparison. None. The FWC will be worth far more than the Hallmark in 10 years, bar none. Check craigslist for the amazing proof...

Good luck whatever ya decide do. The point is to get OUT THERE!

I'm 3 weeks+ out on my wait for the new Hawk...so I know the anticipation level you're experiencing right now!

mtn-high

Back
Top Bottom