Why did you choose ATC over FWC

I purchased my through Four Wheel Camper in 2001 when they were the only game in town. I recently needed work done and Found ATC . These guys were the original manufactures of my camper. What I do have to tell you is the pricing in lower for a better product. Customer service was outstanding. I had an air conditioner installed and FWC would not allow me to purchase my own air conditioner and they were going to charge me 2 arms and 3 legs. I purchased my own air conditioner and had ATC install it. These guys are top notch. I would go with them all the way.

I'd like to re-open this topic. It looks like we are going to have to replace our 2005 FWC Kestral (similar to Hawk). I'd like to find out more about the ATC line. How have yours held up over the years? Our truck has a 6.5' bed so we would be looking at a Panther or Ocelot. Thanks!

I chose ATC because they would build me exactly what I asked for. They asked me questions to define my choices, but never said anything was impossible. While there to pick up ours, they showed me one being built where the guy wanted to use bean bag chairs as furniture, so there was a small cube in the back for a sink system, and a small cube on the other side for the heater, but the rest was one big playpen. I think they had built up the floor between the wheel wells as storage cubes, but it was one flat field. Not something I would ever want, but an indication of their willingness to try new things.

About a year before I bought, I toured the factory. Marty took the time to explain everything to me, letting me lift and lower models with and without the shocks. That was my biggest concern as an almost 60 year old woman. Both were easy, but I went for the shocks because I am not getting any stronger and want to use this for a long time. They had just started using a new product from the marine industry as the bottom of the overhang. He was so excited about it and the increase in expected longevity. He took such pride in their product and workmanship. At that point I was sold.

I have had one issue in the first year that could have been a big deal fighting with a normal company. But ATC made it right, fully and completely. They took full responsibility for it, and offered me any "add on" I wanted as compensation. I told them I was 100% satisfied with the rig exactly as built. Mistakes happen, that employee no longer works for them, I'm good. So I completely trust them. They are great guys.

And they came in about $1,000 less than FWC when I priced equal rigs. I would never make the decision based solely on that, but it didn't hurt once I had made up my mind to know I had gotten a deal.

We have had our ATC for only about six months, so I can't give you much insight on the longevity aspect, but I can tell you we love it!! We ordered a custom Panther shell that we picked up in October of last year.

Before we made our decision we visited both ATC and FWC and reviewed their respective product lines. Basic builds are very similar with only minor variations in materials. Like you, we also have a full size short bed pickup.

Price wise ATC is a little less expensive, but that's not what swayed us. What was the selling point for ATC is that they will build exactly what you want. Not so with FWC.

The guys we purchased our camper from are the same guys that built it. Jeff & Marty's names are all over our rig and they stand behind their work. Little things like TIG welding of the frame by Jeff who has been building these campers for about 40 years, as opposed to MIG welding by an unknown assembly line worker. When we picked up our camper I requested an additional seat cushion to fit our custom bench. Jeff pulled out his tape measure, scribbled a note and two weeks later a custom seat cushion arrived at our door. No charge.

We vacillated between a Ocelot and Panther for sometime. Ocelot is 78" wide (2" narrower than the Hawk) and the Panther is 84".

Our main concern was that the Panther may be too wide, but when it came down to it, the extra six-inches in width make a huge difference in practical comfort, so we chose the Panther. No regrets at all. We're running a 2000 Chevy 1500 with standard mirrors and have no visibility issues on the road or in a shopping center parking lot. Since it's a shell model it's super light weight for its size, coming in at 790lbs. Installed a set of Firestone Ride-Rite air bags and she handles just fine with no other mods.

Go visit Jeff & Marty, you can't go wrong with ATC :D

I went back and reread the entire thread. Some things have changed in the years. I want to describe the windows in my ATC, since that was an issue brought up in the thread. As of June 2015, ATC used a 4 layer system. The external layer made of the same fabric as the walls (what they use for Zodiac boats I believe, kind of rubberized fabric) comes off completely (velcro), and in fact I have never used it. Kind of a pain to keep storing them, but I want them if I need them. Next layer is screen, next is clear plastic, thick and durable. Last is another layer of the grey fabric of the walls. So from the inside, I can get light by dropping the interior layer, but still have sealed wind protection. Then I can drop the clear layer for a breeze. And I can put up the storm flaps if a major storm is expected. I have been through some fairly decent rain with just the 3 layers without any leakage.

I haven't done it yet (haven't needed it yet), but I am thinking about buying some "No see um" netting or bridal tulle and putting velcro on it. Then if I was in that kind of terrain, I could have ventilation by slapping it up using the velcro for the external storm flaps.

We've had our ATC camper about 4 years. We bought from ATC for the same reason others have said- they would build exactly what we wanted. The craftsmanship was excellent and the camper is holding up well. I would also second the reports about post sales customer support- it has been outstanding.

Bunchberry said:
I'd like to re-open this topic. It looks like we are going to have to replace our 2005 FWC Kestral (similar to Hawk). I'd like to find out more about the ATC line. How have yours held up over the years? Our truck has a 6.5' bed so we would be looking at a Panther or Ocelot. Thanks!
Do give them(ATC) a call.IMO they are the best.
I have a 09 Bobcat and has been very serviceable.
Frank

Hi Bunchberry, do you still have your Kestral? Am interested if so...

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Yes, we were able to repair the Kestral and don't need to replace it after all. Thank you everyone for the information you posted.

I bought used but I think it also depends on their business models and production. FWC has a larger facility and can push out more units; more units means less customization. As far as layouts, materials, etc. you have to judge that for yourself and what you want and of course, timing (how long to get a unit).

You call ATC, and an owner picks up the phone. Everytime. Plus, as previously stated, you get what YOU want, and maybe more importantly, leave out what you don't want. For me, 'nuff said. Of course, YMMV.
I didn't know about the TIG vs MIG weld difference. All I know is that Jeff, Marty and Co. gave me ed zachary what I wanted!
139b373d6d4d5d4425eedf0c1f16b909.jpg

Hello everyone
Allow me to introduce us. My wife Syma, and myself Russ just returned from ATC at their world headquarters in Sacramento. I was Interested in a pop up camper for us to enjoy getting out of town, w/o a lot of preparation. I want to take my wife and our Charlie out of town on the weekends a little off the beaten path at times. Mainly to spend time with Syma. To the question at hand.
Why we chose ATC over FWC was different for each of us. Syma liked the ability to get pretty much what she wanted, the price, and liked meeting those who were doing the building our camper( we ware able to see them interact with a customer taking delivery)
I have been reading and looking at truck campers, it would be easy to end up with a camper that has everything a couple could want and more. We looked at the Grandby, which was very nice. We were able to get a camper with everything and the option to add a couple other items later if we decide we really need them. With out a doubt when placing the order, Jeff's knowledge helped us to make what we believe to be sound decisions. Like the toilet a porta pottie, not permanent attached if it breaks can buy a new one if this one is discontinued still get a model to fit. FWC would not change their cabinets to allow storage of PP, or change their refrigerator cabinet to accept Engle or ARB style. With ATC cabinets minor change problem solved. Jeff was willing to make it possible for adding a small A/C later if we want. We did not feel like we are getting a camper that pretty much is what we want except for....... We are getting a camper we want and are anxious to go back to take delivery.
The camper they are building for us will be great we feel very lucky to have found them! Thank you ATC.
Russ, Syma , Charlie

ps Gussie like the photo above.

Whats your pickup date? Really, you can't go wrong either way. That more people don't consider popups is just odd to me.

Russ and all.Welcome to the site. I have had a Bobcat since Dec 09 and have driven over 50K miles camping from Alaska to Minn area.
through rain/snow and nice weather.It hasn't let us down.Just got back from 6 weeks in Alaska with 25 straight nights in the camper.
Great choice in ATC.Very knowledgeable people,with the willingness to work with you.
Have fun when you get it installed and post pictures.
Frank

Thanks for the warm welcome. Not sure I'll have any pics till we get it but will post some then. 1st of the year was what I understand. Glad to hear you did not have any problems on your trip. We're both pretty jazzed and already making a list of places to visit, so much so close to us. We came back to Vegas via 50 then 89 to 395 to 120, 6, 95. Really liked 120 after Lee Vining, is that the section some of the other members just posted a write up about?
Nice to be part of the cult ( just don't ask me to drink the koolaid).
Russ

CougarCouple said:
Thanks for the warm welcome. Not sure I'll have any pics till we get it but will post some then. 1st of the year was what I understand. Glad to hear you did not have any problems on your trip. We're both pretty jazzed and already making a list of places to visit, so much so close to us. We came back to Vegas via 50 then 89 to 395 to 120, 6, 95. Really liked 120 after Lee Vining, is that the section some of the other members just posted a write up about?
Nice to be part of the cult ( just don't ask me to drink the koolaid).
Russ
No Koolaid involved,just fun.
Frank

You picked a nice hot topic. Personally, I would, if possible, visit both companies and check them out. As others have stated, one is small, one is bigger. I've had great success and contact with both. In fact, I have a FWC but have had it serviced at ATC. There are so many reasons to go with one over the other.

As others pointed out, if you can go out and pick up your camper too, I think it's rather fun to see the factories. Of course, it takes time and money but I suspect the difference in the cost is zero, it's just your time maybe?

Good luck. Find the one you feel comfortable with and good luck!

Well all
Spoke with Jeff yesterday and found out that our order is underway. Framed, skinned and doing plumbing if I herd him correctly. My mind wandered and envisioning camper on truck with a beautiful sunrise, sipping coffee in a place like the photos ski3pin posts.
Then I herd I'll call you next year, what uhh. Ok sure Jeff, thanks and Merry Christmas to you Jeff and everyone else.
Just thought I'd share, kinda surreal still, I'll post a photo when we do a drive by.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a cozy camper night.
Russ

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom