Why does the Ice Box suck

I have an 2001 granby and put a 10lb block of ice in the ice box with items already cold/frozen and by that evening almost 60% of my ice was gone, temps where in the upper 70's.

I have drain with correct loop in it, what am I missing ? besides a fridge, I am going to upgrade to a truckfridge soon but need to see if i can make this work.

Would CO2 set off a CO alarm? I don't think so because people exhale CO2 with every breath. I haven't set off the CO detector so far. And I am unaware of any CO2 detector in my Hawk.

Could that be an option on ATC campers? ;) Other than the fizz detector required for Pliny the Elder and other Barley Pops. :)

Paul

PaulT said:
Would CO2 set off a CO alarm? I don't think so because people exhale CO2 with every breath. I haven't set off the CO detector so far. And I am unaware of any CO2 detector in my Hawk.

Could that be an option on ATC campers? ;) Other than the fizz detector required for Pliny the Elder and other Barley Pops. :)

Paul
Thanks for this.
I wasn't thinking.I mixed up my COs.
It's been a long day.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks for this.
I wasn't thinking.I mixed up my COs.
It's been a long day.
Frank
Frank, you need a stress mgmt seminar, let's go fishing;-):

Back on topic, some coolers will crack when using dry ice.

RC Pilot Jim said:
If this was a Yetti cooler you would be much happier.
A 10# block of ice in a suitable sized Yeti would last a week, if not longer and food was already frozen. Grocery store bagged ice will last 2-3 days in my Yeti fishing the Everglades and Florida Bay.

Yes, a decent sized Yeti is priced about the same as a monthly house payment. But, buy once and be done...unless you lose it or some unscrupulous person decides they want your Yeti.

I have a large Yeti that we use on the boat. It's a nice cooler, but unless you have really good quality ice, it will disappoint you. When we boat and explore Lake Powell, if we get four days from the ice down there, we feel lucky.

Yeti coolers are really not that good. Mostly hype and the "bear proof" thing helped them a bunch. All of the independent test show that even the Igloo coolers keep ice longer. I have one only because it was the only one I could find at the time with the right dimensions and I do hunt in bear country.

CWD

cwdtmmrs said:
Yeti coolers are really not that good. Mostly hype and the "bear proof" thing helped them a bunch. All of the independent test show that even the Igloo coolers keep ice longer. I have one only because it was the only one I could find at the time with the right dimensions and I do hunt in bear country.

CWD
A tip on Yetis, don't buy bigger than you need. If you have empty space, fill it with something to take up the void. Yeti recommended crumpled newspaper, but I haven't tried it. I'm not sure I want that mess. Maybe newspaper in 2 gallon zip lock bags. We've had about the same performance using Coleman Xtreme coolers, but they don't lock. We had a cooler stolen at a FS campground in central Oregon.

I wouldn't be using dry ice in any enclosed livable space. Even though our FWC campers are more naturally vented then other campers, the CO2 could accumulate in the lower portions of the camper and push out the oxygen. For us, our kids sleep on the lower bed and I don't even want to think what could happen. I've heard a few stories of hunters either dying or nearly dying from sleeping in a camper next to ice chest loaded with elk/deer meat that was covered with dry ice.

I ended up buying an Engle Deep Blue cooler
I watched a you - tube video controlled test with the Deep Blue, Yetis, Coleman, and 2-3 others. The video was made by Engle
Gotta wonder if Yetis is better. While I put beer in the fridge at home before we leave and load it into the cooler, I'm still having to add ice 2-3 days later. One thing guys, we don't need another refrigerator revisited war.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I have a large Yeti that we use on the boat. It's a nice cooler, but unless you have really good quality ice, it will disappoint you. When we boat and explore Lake Powell, if we get four days from the ice down there, we feel lucky.
3 days max ice life span fishing the Glades and Keys. But, that is a singnificant improvement over 99% of the other coolers on the market. About the same fishing the Outer Banks of NC in the summer.

Here's Yetis tip on how to get ice to last longer...
http://yeticoolers.com/pages/maximizing-ice-retention/

I use Yeti Ice to help regular ice live longer in my Tundra 45.

The main reason the ice box sucks is that every time you open it, all the cold air spills out. A cooler that opens from the top eliminates this problem. The ice box is also not very well insulated, but you can easily remove it and add extra insulation around the box and then reinstall it. This helps some, especially if you have one of the FWC's where the heater is right underneath the icebox.

Anyone know why my refrigerator (Eagle model) when running on propane freezes everything? Usually this happens at night when I'm parked.
Jim

riz said:
The main reason the ice box sucks is that every time you open it, all the cold air spills out. A cooler that opens from the top eliminates this problem. The ice box is also not very well insulated, but you can easily remove it and add extra insulation around the box and then reinstall it. This helps some, especially if you have one of the FWC's where the heater is right underneath the icebox.
I'd love to see some research on that. I suspect that enough of the cold is held in the food/beer whatever that the cold spillage is fairly minor.

Lobo said:
Anyone know why my refrigerator (Eagle model) when running on propane freezes everything? Usually this happens at night when I'm parked.
Jim
According to this thread on RV Forum it could be a bad thermistor or a thermistor moved from its original position. And this thread suggests it could be a bad connection of the thermistor. And this (older) Dometic Service Tips manual, item 10 says it could be thermistor, thermistor adjuster, or upper or lower circuit board. Please note this info may or may not apply to your specific make and model of fridge.... I just assumed it's a Dometic for the search to get an idea of what might be happening. You might try additional searches for your specific make and model of fridge and include the word 'thermistor' (if you've not already done that).

-OC

PS- OK, one more search, this time for Norcold. This post tells us how to isolate whether it's the thermistor or control board.

Back
Top Bottom