Why Four Wheel Camper?

Ramblinman

I know this is probably the wrong forum to ask this but .... If anyone cares to comment: Why spend the $$$$ on a FWC when one could buy a "disposable" cheaper pop-up camper and use it till it breaks and get another one and so on.

Just weighing my options before I put the big money down. I really want to make sure this camper is the right decision. And yes I will be traveling down dirt roads, logging roads, and doing light 4WDing.

Just throwing it there! :rolleyes:

Buy a used one... and test it out for a while. If you love it and want a nice fancy new one - then drop the $$$$$.

I love mine, but I don't love it as much as the new price would require. I'm just not in the position in life to spend that kind of money for a camper...

It is a good question.
In my case I keep adding special small features as I learn more about how I use it. It would be a real pain to have to re-install all those things every time I got a new camper.
Meanwhile FWC keeps adding features I wish I had.
I just had to get a new truck and it will take me months to get it fixed up the way I want it.

It all comes down to money vs time and convenience. There can also be some emotional attachment issues.

Another kind of camper is going to be heavier and harder on your truck. Depending on what kind of truck you have you may end up being severely overloaded with another kind of camper. The FWC's resale value is very high which negates most of the premise of your cost comparison as well.

I know this is probably the wrong forum to ask this but .... If anyone cares to comment: Why spend the $$$$ on a FWC when one could buy a "disposable" cheaper pop-up camper and use it till it breaks and get another one and so on.

Just weighing my options before I put the big money down. I really want to make sure this camper is the right decision. And yes I will be traveling down dirt roads, logging roads, and doing light 4WDing.

Just throwing it there! :rolleyes:

One could ask the same question about any tool purchase.

But, let's look at it from a manufacturer's PoV... In the '70's once premier toolmaker, Black & Decker cheapened their products *so much* that no self-respecting tradesman would buy anything they made, unless it was a can opener for the kitchen. B&D had to resurrect the defunct 'DeWalt' label and sell their premium tools under a nom de plume in order to stay in the lucrative professional tool market. The same thing happened to Rockwell, who had to resurrect "Delta" and "Porter Cable." Eventually, clueless Rockwell was forced out of the tool bidness, and those names were eventually sold to *Black & Decker*!

I guess they learned a lesson...

From my perspective, "Cry once: Buy good tools!" From the manufacturers' perspective, "Don't take a s**t where you eat."

Come on its only money, don't be scared.

How about resale value? I sold my twenty year old Granby for a just little less than I paid for it. I feel your pain though, they are expensive. My Granby new was 3 grand, now WOW!

I'm looking at a new Hawk plus a truck and I'm still trying to figure out if my 401k can handle the abuse.

Who knows ... I am headed on a 5 day Elk hunt in the Rockies for 5 days ... during which time I will be sleeping in a tent (Brrrrrr) .... maybe that will add some fuel to the FWC fire!

Who knows ... I am headed on a 5 day Elk hunt in the Rockies for 5 days ... during which time I will be sleeping in a tent (Brrrrrr) .... maybe that will add some fuel to the FWC fire!

I still can't believe that my camper has a thermostat - a real freakin' thermostat!!! Sometime I just need to pimch myself.

For what it's worth, I bought a 1982 Grandby (gonna be 30 years old in May) and am very impressed by the solid construction and durability of the interior and exterior fittings. The former owner had updated a few things, like floor linoleum and cushion fabric, but otherwise the original build is still there. There are a couple of minor tears in the inside of the liner of the popup (interior) but it's hard to believe how long this material has held up. The furnace works well. Windows crank out nicely. I'm planning a big trip South in about two months, but have already gone cross-country and didn't even know the camper was there on my F250. Figure gas mileage, too, with a lightweight! I dream about a new truck and a new FWC but I'm really getting attached to my 1982 (built in Denver!). Good luck and if you take the plunge it won't be a mistake.

Good luck on your hunt. I bought my FWC Hawk to use on my hunts. Just got back from a 6 week elk hunt in Colorado. I used to tent camp too.....and love the camper.

The camper makes the trip so much nicer. It is so nice to be able to come back to camp in camper where you have a warm environment to cook up a meal...get cleaned up...prepare lunches for the next day...and have a warm, dry comfortable place to sleep. Oh...and the elk videos playing on the 19" flatscreen tend to strengthen your resolve for the next day and the early alarm clock.

Thanks Led,

We are headed to the Wilmore Wilderness hunting on horse. Three people in the group have Bighorn Tags. It is great Elk /Bighorn Country which was hunted by the Late Jack O'connor!. It is just starting to get cold so hopefully that will keep things moving.

I have to ask though how do you usually deal with your meat and FWC.?

I guess I will be giving up the bed of my truck this will be a little bit of a challenge.

I have to ask though how do you usually deal with your meat and FWC.?

I guess I will be giving up the bed of my truck this will be a little bit of a challenge.

I bone out the elk in the field and only have the 4 quarters.....2 backstraps....and two filets (plus some assorted neck meat etc.). I have all of the meat in quality game bags and use a small tarp in the isle of the camper. The 6 bags pile in there neatly for the trip into town for cold storage.

I hunt the archery season (September) which is much warmer than your hunt and have not had any problems getting the meat off of the mountain in time.

Yummmmmmy! These were from this years hunt.

elk roasts...
elk roasts DSC_11470001.JPG

elk steaks...
elk steaks2 DSC_11490003.JPG

elk burger (mixed with 10% beef fat)....
elk burger.JPG

Just got back from watching the horny elk in Rocky Mountain National Park. We were tent camping and what a pain, sure miss my FWC.

For you elk hunters, take a look at my front yard about a month ago, Denver city limits.

elk front yard.jpg

Just got back from watching the horny elk in Rocky Mountain National Park. We were tent camping and what a pain, sure miss my FWC.

For you elk hunters, take a look at my front yard about a month ago, Denver city limits.

View attachment 12946

Dang....that NEVER happens in my front yard!

Well Done Led. That was the plan ... do most of the butchering on site and put in in the isle. OK ... this plan is coming together ... does anyone have $25,000 they can lend me? :unsure: Anyone ... Beuller .... anyone ......

Not really sure where the cheap throw away pop ups are but I'll throw in my two cents.

Heavy campers suck. Tall campers suck. Tall heavy campers on too little truck really suck.
Get a good truck and put a light camper on it and you'll always be happy. I'd tow a trailer before I went with a heavy camper again. Lessons learned the hard way.

Well Done Led. That was the plan ... do most of the butchering on site and put in in the isle. OK ... this plan is coming together ... does anyone have $25,000 they can lend me? :unsure: Anyone ... Beuller .... anyone ......

These things shouldn't cost that much. I think you will find that some of the options you won't use much and others are simple items that are marked up drastically. Some smart shopping and analysis of your needs could cut 9-10k off that pricetag.

I bone out the elk in the field and only have the 4 quarters.....2 backstraps....and two filets (plus some assorted neck meat etc.). I have all of the meat in quality game bags and use a small tarp in the isle of the camper. The 6 bags pile in there neatly for the trip into town for cold storage.

I hunt the archery season (September) which is much warmer than your hunt and have not had any problems getting the meat off of the mountain in time.

Yummmmmmy! These were from this years hunt.

elk roasts...
View attachment 12941

elk steaks...
View attachment 12942

elk burger (mixed with 10% beef fat)....
View attachment 12945

Wow YUM!

Back
Top Bottom