Why Four Wheel Camper?

Nice job leadsled9, I was wondering how your hunt went.

I managed to cash in on a secondary doe tag I had last week (it was tight since Son #2 was just born but some help was in town so I managed to get out for a couple days on the short season) so I've got something into the freezer. I built a collapsible box that is ~2'x2'x4' out of the reflectix stuff. I put down some plastic, then that box, and then load into there. In the case of the doe I could toss the whole thing in, if I get an elk I'll toss the quarters in. I had frozen 1/2gal water jugs in my ARB freezer I loaded in and then tossed in some bags of ice from town on the drive home. Still have an Elk and primary deer tag I have some opportunities on during the rest of the year but not sure how much I'll get out considering all that is going on, just happy I got out for some success as it is all considered. :D

Not huge but tender eats:
2011-10-16_12-34-19_615.jpg

Ready for final trim/freeze on the whole muscles and grinding on the trimming (I did 10% bacon ends in the grind).
2011-10-18_15-52-00_559.jpg

With all the meat photos, I thought I would wait until after dinner to do this post!

Back to the original question: Why not just buy a cheap disposable camper and buy another when the first dies?

Where to start?

The obvious place, I guess, is with a philosophy of 'purchase quality for the long haul'. We live in such a consumer society that we now expect stuff, even expensive stuff, to last only a few short years. I recently had an appliance dealer tell me he couldn't get parts for my 15 year old fridge. It was way past its life expectancy. What! And don't even get me started on electronics.

The folks at FWC seem to try to make a product for the long haul. I see contributors in this forum talking about their 20 year old FWCs with pride - 'Still going strong'; 'Sold it for nearly as much as I paid for it'. There is value in buying a quality product. Not just reliability but also a product you get to know and become attached to over the years. The stories build.

The other practical consideration is trying to figure out when the cheap camper will die. Murphy's Law applies here. It will give you trouble when you least expect it and in the most awkward place. And remember, Murphy was an optimist.

So to wind up my rant, let's all buy less good stuff rather than more cheap stuff, preferably from someone we know or at least someone who has the courtesy to engage with his customers such as in a forum like this.

Back
Top Bottom