Wider and Taller Campers

iowahiker

After reading the threads concerning wider ATC campers and taller Flatbed campers, the thought comes to mind that folks are evolving towards hardside campers. The most important reason we purchased our Granby was the low height and narrow width, both of which we use every year with less than an inch to spare on both low height and narrow width. The advantage of wider and taller popup campers remains low weight but at the cost of comfort (noise, condensation...).

If we decide to go wider and taller, then our leading contender would be the Bigfoot 1500 model which does not have a "basement" but is very weather proof.

^ Yes, until the Sprinter 4x4 came along... lol

High marks to FWC for sticking with ultra low profile and compact size throughout the years. Seems the weights have gone some up but the goal of light weight remains.

Yesterday I saw an old Ford Ranger, plain with an FWC Eagle and was struck by how well the two looked together - the package proportionate and unostentatious. This compact size level is where the FWC/ATC really shine imo. Bigger vehicles tend towards much bigger, sometimes crazy big, campers.

We've gone back and forth on the hardside camper option. Have always liked the size and look of the older Bigfoot 1500. Went to view one with high hopes but was disappointed at how cramped the interior felt. The wet bath, a major "want" for us in a hardside, was tiny (to be expected) and unsuitably low in height. Bed was too short also. That was an older model. I see the current 1500 is 95"W (ugh) and 87"H (not too bad) - it's the width at roof line height that I dislike most because of tree branches.

OTOH, despite their size drawbacks I could see myself in a warm, comfy Northern lite one day ...

I would like to see something similar to an XP Camper with fold up over cab insulated panels - similar to a cab over Alaskan and lighter than either of those but at a more affordable price point (if that is even possible).

The XP is great but I think it is too heavy and it surely is too expensive for us.

I love the way the smaller Eagle fits in my 1st gen Tundra. I had a fellow come up to me at a gas station the other day to ask about my truck cap. I had to explain to him that it was a full slide in truck camper. he was quite surprised. He was over 6' tall and really surprised when I told him it had 6'4" headroom when open.

Where we take our annual beach trip another fellow has been there with his wife for the last couple of years. They have an f350 dually with a huge Arctic Fox with a back porch. I really wouldn't want to deal with driving that all the time for sure. if I was going that big I'd probably just go for a class C motorhome.

I think I'll stay small and narrow.

For the places that I venture into I wouldn't attempt it with wider, taller or heavier. My Eagle on the Tacoma is the perfect blend for me. Sure beats a tent. Ron

We enjoy the size of our ATC Bobcat on the 1st gen Tundra. Fits nice and looks well proportioned.
"IF"I were to think about a hard side I have looked at the Lance 6.50 lite.
For a hard side camper it is open and lots of light inside.Seems to have a reasonable amount of storage.
Also has a "wet" bath small but it fits nice in the camper. I could see us in one but just can't justify a new truck plus the
camper. It's not something I would feel comfortable with on the 1st gen Tundra.
So onward with the great Bobcat. It has taken us over 50K miles since 2010 to many far flung areas and back.
Frank

I've thought the same. I like the way that Broverlanding went with his taco flatbed, and wondered about the extra height. Would it be possible to mount the camper on a simple sheet of alum (in place of the truck bed) and hang the side storage boxes off the camper?

I'm thinking, that way there would be no extra height gained, and you would still have the functionality of a flatbed.

Vic Harder said:
I've thought the same. I like the way that Broverlanding went with his taco flatbed, and wondered about the extra height. Would it be possible to mount the camper on a simple sheet of alum (in place of the truck bed) and hang the side storage boxes off the camper?

I'm thinking, that way there would be no extra height gained, and you would still have the functionality of a flatbed.
Have you seen what I had done? It sounds a bit like what you are describing minus the sheet of Al: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/12514-direct-bolt-on-flatbed/

Outolunch,

Looks interesting although I am not a big fan of A-frame campers.. Never heard of this make. I could not find any specification info on the camper Is it an aluminum frame? Is it composite? Is it heavy?

I suspect it is dirt cheap for a reason. ;-)

I will be driving through Quartzsite next week on our way to Glendale to visit family.. We often fuel up there so I will try to remember to go find it and give it a look

Edit - looking at the picture I see the model is Truck Cabin.

I found this info:

http://www.koransky.com/aliner/

Note: It is basically an Aluminum/foam/ plywood sandwich wall construction. I don't like that. Wood is subject to degradation and rot. Plywood is pretty heavy too.

Also note the conclusion by the author of the blog:

" I would not recommend an Aliner Truck Cabin to anyone, at least not the shell (without the cabinetry)."

• "The Quickup Camper is not in production yet, but it appears to offer some promise to those of us looking for lightweight a hard sided pickup truck camper.

• If you can deal with canvas, Four Wheel Campers is a good bet (and I've heard good things about them!)"

Back
Top Bottom