Width of '04 Grandby

bobg333

Next weekend I have to go fetch the '04 Grandby I bought a couple of weeks ago. I still do not own a pickup so I'm going to have to rent one for the trip, about 20 miles. Does anybody know how wide it is? I forgot to measure and the guy I bought it from will be out of town until just before i have to go get it.
Bob in LA

Grandby size

Bobg,

I just got a 2007 Grandby for my Chevy pickup. I think the size of the '04 should be the same. The floor of the camper that sits between the wheel wells is 48" wide. The bump out at the rear of the camper is 58" wide. So the tail gate opening on the truck needs to be wider than 58". I think FWC may build Grandbys in slightly different sizes to fit certain trucks such as the newer Ford Super Duty trucks due to their higher cab height. You can check out the FWC camper web site to see what trucks will fit the camper.

http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/
or
http://www.go-anywhere.us/

Hope this helps,
Buzz

Grandby size

The Grandby is 48" across the bottom where it fits inbetween the wheel wells. The back is 58" across where it will fit into your tailgate opening and the over all width above the rails should be 80".

Hello Bob in LA

If you can let me know what kind of truck you are going to rent, I can let you know if the camper will fit or not.

But for the most part, most any newer truck you would see for rent these days will fit the camper well.

Especially since your camper (I think) was built for a Ford SD (slightly taller build for the camper).

Just bring some good tie downs / ratchet straps and secure it down well.

You don't want to launch your new camper onto the I-5 the freeway during rush hour traffic in LA. Just think of all those poor people that would be stuck sitting on the freeway in another traffic jam.

Thanks for the info

I've got lots of rachet straps and I'm only going 20 miles. Slowly.

Since Stan has suggested ratchet straps, I wanted to add that you could rent a flatbed trailer from U-haul. I don't know if that would make the task of loading harder or easier, but it might be something to consider.

Hoping for the best...

a very small flat bed trailer would work well too

the hard part with trailers though, is the fenderwell width

alot of the small trailers are pretty wide, making it hard to impossible to get the trailer to fit between the camper jacks

if you can find a small, narrow, flat bed trailer, they usualy work great !

Attachments

• trailer #1.JPG
    trailer #1.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 270
  • trailer-small3.jpg
    trailer-small3.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 242
  • flat bed camper #2.JPG
    flat bed camper #2.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 252
  • Camper on small trailer 1.JPG
    Camper on small trailer 1.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 282
  • 36636414.jpg
    36636414.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 247
stan, you have a cool job :), love all these pics!

Back
Top Bottom