Wilco Hitchgate Offset now offers to swing either way

smlobx

Lost again
For a while now I have been thinking of adding the capability of a second spare tire for some of the more remote trips we're planning and the Wilco Offset Hitchgate has been a top consideration.
However, the biggest hold back for those of us with truck campers (at least for me) is that we use the right side of our rig to set up cooking etc. which means that you would have to walk around the swing out tire which could be inconvenient.

I sent Wilco an email a few weeks ago and asked them if they could make one for me thatswings toward the driver's side but never heard back...Fast forward to today and I see that they are now offering the option of the tire swinging either way!!

https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-offset/

I don't have any more excuses!!!

Anyone have any experience with this product?

Nice they are offering it both sides, way better setup if you have a passenger side awning etc. I wish they would make one with a cargo box though. Everything else seems to sit too low or be cheaply built. I emailed them about it and did get a response. They haven’t made one yet and are way too busy for anything custom at the moment.
Never owned one but have never heard a bad word about Wilco, their stuff looks smart and solid.

Eddie...

The biggest issue with any receiver mounted accessory will be play between the accessory and the vehicle reciever. It is darn near impossible to get all the play out without a device incorporated into the accessory. I have tried washers, but pennies work best as they are malleable and form to the the gap.

Off-road, movement and rebound effect can damage either the accessory component or the vehicle receiver. I've witnessed several damaged receivers in Moab from motorcycle carriers and resulting play.

I use a Joe Hauler moto carrier; the carrier incorporates a cam lock device in the carrier which removes all unwanted play between the accessory and the vehicle's receiver. The cam loc worked great on my F-250 and Class III receiver. Sadly, I now have to use an 2 to 2.5" adapter for my F-350's Class IV receiver so the play has returned and I'm using pennies again.

You will likely need the Wilco Wedge Lock hitch adapter for your F-350 and it might reduce or eliminate the worrisome play.

Please let me know if you go this route and how it works for you!

I have always preferred the OEM spare stowed in a place other than under the truck. It can be very problematic getting to the under-the-truck spare at times when needed off-road.

Given how much you're going to spend for the Wilco "add-on", I think it might be best to spend a little extra and go with a dedicated bumper with swing-arms. I really like the BuckStop offering. Great design and workmanship. I also talked to the guys from CBI at OX-West last year and they make a custom bumper for near the same price as BuckStop. CBI products are works of art IMO. Flawless fabrication and welding on the product I've seen up close and personal.

In-so-far as the right swing arm posing an inconvenience while moving from the rear to the side of the camper, not an issue. You just take a few extra steps, because a natural movement.

Bill

I own one of the early models of the offset (to the left) HitchGates. Fine product. Some observations:

* Yes, I have migrated to the driver’s side due to the opening to the right. This is compounded due to me using a canopy and tailgate. The single arm is quite long so I don’t find it to be as easy as others to move round...YMMV.

* I wish there were more factory options to add equipment...what is available is well made but quite spendy.
Oh well, buy once, cry once.

* In reference to adding more equipment...Wilco uses bushings (heavy duty nylon?) and a long bolt rather than axle bearing assemblies like some bumper mfgrs. I’m not sure that this is the stoutest setup available. The arm does sag a bit when extended even after tightening the hinge bolt per Wilco instructions. But to be fair, I’ve also seen arms with the axle bearings sag.

* There is a wedge lock in the hitch portion with a bolt (3/4”?) that’s accessed through the rear of the hitch tube. Once it’s tightened up in the receiver I have noticed no play in the unit. It’s a solid setup.

* I really like the fact that the unit is removable. I use my truck “as a truck” in between trips including dropping the tailgate to load longer items. A permanent solution (bumper, etc.) would not work for me.

Super nice people who walk the talk and give back to the community. Highly recommended.

I am going with Wilco because Aluminess and others don't offer the right bumper for my Titan. It looks like Wilco just raised prices. Wasn't it just $845.00?

Bought the Wilco to solve problem of where to carry my spare (35s wouldn't fit under truck). Also nice in that it works with extended camper that overhangs bed. Have the wedge lock and play is minimal. Have a lot of dirt miles on it. The unit's expensive but quality and American made. Highly recommended.

Wilco.jpg

I have the Hitchgate, and it's as solid as can be. Their wedge lock system keeps everything very tight. I had originally planned on waiting to order a left swing, but decided that the right swing would be a safer option when parked on the side of the road. The right side swing also doesn't interfere lwith anything like I had thought it would. We can actually hang utensils and stuff off the Trasharoo while cooking and stuff. IMG_20180304_083227_088.jpg

Times 2 on Wilco, have used a hitch gate, wobble free extension for a year now, many rough roads/trails. Had a minor issue in baja, but their customer service is top-notch. Problem fixed. I always carry two spares.

Attachments

• 20180407_093415_resized.jpg
    20180407_093415_resized.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 20180407_093344_resized.jpg
    20180407_093344_resized.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 193
Thanks everyone for the comments.
There is no doubt that this is an expensive item but as long as it's American made and of excellent quality I'm OK with it.

Bill I have looked into a new rear bumper with tire carrier but my Hallmark is 8.5' long and extends slightly past the bed and over the bumper slightly and that would probably be an issue...

Hi all,

This is a timely conversation as I am wanting to add a hitchgate offset to my 2500HD. I am it to open to the driver side so to not interfere with access to the area under the passenger side mounted awning. I’m not clear from the website as to what accessories can be added to the offset hitchgate. Ideally I would like to mount the spare, two Jerry cans and a hi-lift jack. I think the hi-lift is possible, but not sure about the Jerry Cans...might only accommodate dual rotopax. Can anyone confirm this? My email to Wilco has gone unanswered.

Thanks!

Thomas

A little update. We've been using ours and it is still dojng the job perfectly. I'm glad I went with the regular right side swing-away, as I find myself hanging stuff off it when cooking under/near the canopy on the right. I still also think it is better if you have to pull of the side of a highway or rpad to swing off to the side of the shoulder of the road, rather than into the roadway itself. 20180504_192836.jpegFB_IMG_1524456177684.jpeg

CanadianVikingYYC said:
Hi all,

This is a timely conversation as I am wanting to add a hitchgate offset to my 2500HD. I am it to open to the driver side so to not interfere with access to the area under the passenger side mounted awning. I’m not clear from the website as to what accessories can be added to the offset hitchgate. Ideally I would like to mount the spare, two Jerry cans and a hi-lift jack. I think the hi-lift is possible, but not sure about the Jerry Cans...might only accommodate dual rotopax. Can anyone confirm this? My email to Wilco has gone unanswered.

Thanks!

Thomas
I have the Dual Sceptor MFC fuel can attachment, along with a horizontal Hi-Lift attachment on mine. Works very slick. I also strap my shovel horizontally to the triangular backside of the Hitchgate, and i have the wheel bracket to hold the Maxtrax too.

Trikebubble, thanks for the replies. Your comments have given me pause to think a little more about the swing direction. The orientation of my Hallmark is different thank your pop-up. My door is just slightly offset towards the driver side (ie not centered) and opens toward the passenger side. The normal “passenger side” swing really works well on yours because your door swing is opposite to the hitchgate.

CanadianVikingYYC said:
Trikebubble, thanks for the replies. Your comments have given me pause to think a little more about the swing direction. The orientation of my Hallmark is different thank your pop-up. My door is just slightly offset towards the driver side (ie not centered) and opens toward the passenger side. The normal “passenger side” swing really works well on yours because your door swing is opposite to the hitchgate.
I see ,if your door opens the other way then I can see the swingaway towards the drivers side being more beneficial (and less of a pain in the butt)

Back
Top Bottom