Wilco HitchGate

cdbrow1

After finding there really is not a suitable bumper for my truck with a tire holder (2015 GMC Sierra 3/4ton w/FWC Hawk) I decided to spring for a Wilco Hitchgate.

http://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-tire-carrier-gm/

To install I had to make a few changes, the most complex of which was moving my aftermarket backup camera. I am still trying to find the right spot (right now it is on the bottom of the hitch).

After putting about 1,200 miles on the unit I have the following observations -

1.) It works.
2.) It is not too hard to open or close on a regular basis.
3.) The added weight at the backend is not noticeable.
4.) Parking sensors are a major pain in the backside (alarms/errors all the time).

The biggest unexpected surprise is that the Hitchgate makes a GREAT step for getting in and out of the FWC. To the point that I don't need to carry a step stool around with me anymore (one less thing to haul).

My current plan is to get a steel rear bumper to match my front unit (Fab Fours) and put the Hitchgate back on. Maybe in the process I can relocate those back up sensors to a better spot....

Thanks for the review! Thinking about the lighter Hitchgate Solo for our Tundra, it only adds 53 lbs.....when we go from "C" to "E" tires my under the bed spare holder will not hold the larger "E"s; hence the Hitchgate Solo

Phil

I appreciate the review. I have been considering a Hitchgate for exterior storage (I am thinking of attaching an aluminium storage box instead of a spare tire + a Hilift, shovel, etc).
Does the Hitchgate lock in the open position? Can you show a picture of how the Hitchgate works as a camper step please?
Cheers

I've got one of these that I have not yet used. Waiting to get an extra spare. They are very good products though. Sometimes they pop up used on various forums.

Cdbrow1
Thanks for the review, I also have been knocking around the idea of one, and appreciate the review.
Russ

I have one. Nice piece of kit. Used it on our Landcruiser when we did road trips. Upsized spare tire didnt fit under the back anymore. I kept it after selling the LC. Its heavy, but works nicely. Shipping adds a hefty add on cost. I picked mine up in LA actually they sent it home with a employee who dropped it off at a house I was working on. Either way got it cheaper. If you need a spot for a spare tire but not into spending $1000's on a heavy custom bumper its a great alternative. You can still tow with it also.

I used the HitchGate on my F250 and Northstar T650. I had it modified to hold my RotoPax fuel containers.
img_158907_0_d151ef0c40c5e70c24fd441fe00fcf79.jpg

img_158907_2_51c1f100e0f19b0a8a72521ff5e427ff.jpg

img_158907_4_aefc4752562db295ca6d219ad17d5f1c.jpg

Wallowa said:
Thanks for the review! Thinking about the lighter Hitchgate Solo for our Tundra, it only adds 53 lbs.....when we go from "C" to "E" tires my under the bed spare holder will not hold the larger "E"s; hence the Hitchgate Solo

Phil
We can't fault you for wanting the Solo, just keep in mind it sits the same level as the hitch itself...extending only 2" above the hitch. The Hitchgate in the OPs post is our original Hitchgate and sits 7.25" above hitch height.

All this to say, the Solo is designed to be "so low" and be a solution when one's hitch and rear door/hatch are very close together.

The Solo WILL work on a Tundra, but it will sit under the bumper where the hitch is.

Attachments

• KEYSHOT Solo.jpg
    KEYSHOT Solo.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 138
For what it's worth , we have a small crop of *opposite swing" Hitchgates available.

So rather than offset to the drive's side, these are offset 10" to the passenger side and then swing-open to the drive's side. If you have a ladder on the left side this could be a great thing...or if you are in Australia. Just letting you guys know. Wander on!

WilcoOffroad said:
We can't fault you for wanting the Solo, just keep in mind it sits the same level as the hitch itself...extending only 2" above the hitch. The Hitchgate in the OPs post is our original Hitchgate and sits 7.25" above hitch height.

All this to say, the Solo is designed to be "so low" and be a solution when one's hitch and rear door/hatch are very close together.

The Solo WILL work on a Tundra, but it will sit under the bumper where the hitch is.

Thanks for the feed back...actually the fact that the HG Solo sits at or slightly above the hitch on our Tundra is a positive for me...I want to keep all weight to a minimum out behind the Tundra and as low as possible while not compromising off road effectiveness.

Phil

Wallowa said:
Thanks for the feed back...actually the fact that the HG Solo sits at or slightly above the hitch on our Tundra is a positive for me...I want to keep all weight to a minimum out behind the Tundra and as low as possible while not compromising off road effectiveness.

Phil
Understood. Everyone's needs are truly different.

I got a new to me set of older limited 4Runner rims and new rubber today. Very excited. This means I will potentially be using my hitchgate finally and will have two spares.

ETAV8R said:
I got a new to me set of older limited 4Runner rims and new rubber today. Very excited. This means I will potentially be using my hitchgate finally and will have two spares.
would love to see pics when possible. post up here or send over to erik@wilcooffroad.com

Thanks!

So if you put your spare tire on a hitchgate can you put a rotopax where your tire was? Just wondering if that space could be used for something else :)

Happyjax said:
So if you put your spare tire on a hitchgate can you put a rotopax where your tire was? Just wondering if that space could be used for something else :)
Not sure we understand the question...put a Rotopax under the car? We do know that Titan Fuel Tanks makes a spare tire area fuel tank...not sure for the 4runner...and very pricey.

I was just wondering if the vacated space could be used for something. Another question is can there be any overhang of the camper or does it need to be completely within the bed frame for the Hitchgate to be installed?

Happyjax said:
I was just wondering if the vacated space could be used for something. Another question is can there be any overhang of the camper or does it need to be completely within the bed frame for the Hitchgate to be installed?
Oh ok, got it. Absolutely it could be used for something else. The receiver doesn't extend much into that space.

Regarding a camper, within the confines on the bumper at least. Unless you're using and extended hitch of some sort.

Attachments

• HG Chevy Camper  stairs.jpg
    HG Chevy Camper stairs.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 169
  • HG Chevy open camp.jpg
    HG Chevy open camp.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 179
  • HG Chevy Silverado Camper Beach 2.jpg
    HG Chevy Silverado Camper Beach 2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 160
Back
Top Bottom