Willow (aka Whitehorse) Hot Springs

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
I'm heading out for a couple of days camping with friends at Willow Hot Springs (named for Willow Creek which runs past) -- also known as Whitehorse Hot Springs (after the nearby historic and huge "Whitehorse Ranch"). It's southeast of the Alvord -- about 30 miles SE of Fields off the Whitehorse Ranch Road. It used to be kinda secret, years ago, but it's been named on BLM maps ever since the BLM put a handicap-accessible outhouse there :rolleyes:.
The hot springs pool isn't really hot enough for my taste...but it's not bad and is nice with a clean sandy bottom, etc. Lots of flat ground for parking/camping. The creek is nice and views are large: Trout Creek Mts just to the south and to the NW a view of the more-distant Steens Mt. :) I've camped there a number of times, but my main reason to go this time is that friends from Portland -- and one down from Juneau (former Oregonian) on a visit -- went out there this morning 'cause it's one of the Alaskan's favorite places.

My wife and I were out at Whitehorse in July. Hadn't been there for quite a few years, but found it as enjoyable as ever. Interestingly, the smaller pool on the east side was way too hot. Last time we were there it was perfect. This time, we spent all of our time in the west half. Only saw one other couple while we were there. We love that part of Oregon. We made a tour of a few of the hot springs in that part of the state. At the Alvord we were amazed to have it all to ourselves at 5:00 in the afternoon.
Two photos below show the Whitehorse springs and a nice view of the wide open country from the butte with our FWC below. Given the temps they've been seeing over there this past week, I'm sure the springs will feel great.

DSCN1503.JPG

DSCN1510.JPG

TK

Hey Guys -
So far so good on my weekend trip. :)
Here's a link to a photo album I've started on my Facebook: Mid-November 2010 Trip, no Facebook membership required to view.
I'll post here, more, later -- a trip report if it seems worthwhile.
My friends, who've been out here since Wednesday, are heading home Saturday, but I think I'll stick around a bit longer...though maybe move somewhere else as we don't have it to ourselves any more :mad: :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom