wind deflectors

NorCalSteve said:
I am sure that I will get some noise reduction but I have a vibration at 35MPH that I pursued as an mechanical issue with the truck. I am now pretty sure it is buffeting caused by wind between the truck and camper. Fingers crossed that this fixes it.

Steve
The day I bought my 2002 Hawk used I hit 35mph and had such a noise I pulled over to see what was wrong. Could not find anything and started working on a wing. First tried a "V" under the cab over helped but not 100%. Found the big wing I still have and it took all the wind noise away.

What is the website of Bucklands. I own a Nissan Titan King Cab and neither Yakima or Thule have parts that fit my truck. Any suggestions?

So Charlie after seeing your picture I started researching on the internet, called Yakama and REI. Buying new for my F-250, the price was over $400. The kicker is you have to buy a four pack of "Q" Towers ($189), 4 lock pack ($55) you can get a 2 pack lock for ($35), Q clips-58 2 pack ($39), 50" wind fairing ($85), and a 2-pack 58" round bar ($89). The Q Tower for the 2013 F-250 crew cab is model 8000124. I checked ebay and many of the Q Towers didn't have model numbers listed.

If one was to find another Wander the West member with the same truck and wanted to do this and split cost on the 4-pack items and then purchase the separate items the cost would be under $300 per person. This is a great idea but the cost is prohibitive. A small narrow basket that fits between 2 cross bars might be an idea if you buy the 4-pack. JD

I was able to buy a pair of Q-towers and a single round bar for my Tacoma. Is this different because of the F-250? I ordered through REI when they had a 20% off all Yakima sale (think they do that once or maybe twice a year, ask) - the local store didn't have the clips or single bar, so order it all online.

Bosque Bill said:
I was able to buy a pair of Q-towers and a single round bar for my Tacoma. Is this different because of the F-250? I ordered through REI when they had a 20% off all Yakima sale (think they do that once or maybe twice a year, ask) - the local store didn't have the clips or single bar, so order it all online.
When I spoke to Yakama, I gave them my vehicle info and they gave the model number for each component I needed. We have an REI store near our home. I did speak to them and they said you had to buy the 4-pack. I think I will stop in there and see if there is a way to get 2 Q Towers and 1 bar.

Bosque Bill said:
x2. I bought a set for the camper roof and a single (1 bar and two towers) with the fairing for the cab.

ebay has every yakama part in every amount and configuration for sale at pennies on the dollar. Just check the yakama site for what you need, then buy it on ebay.

I own 2006 Nissan Titan King cab 4 X 4 with a 2001 Hawk. I have investigated the ability to install a fairing to assist with wind. Currently Yakima or Thule do not make any roof attachment to install a fairing. The reason is Nissan unique roof design has both companies stumped. The only option is drilling into my roof and I am not all that thrilled with that option.

Dorado_33 said:
I own 2006 Nissan Titan King cab 4 X 4 with a 2001 Hawk. I have investigated the ability to install a fairing to assist with wind. Currently Yakima or Thule do not make any roof attachment to install a fairing. The reason is Nissan unique roof design has both companies stumped. The only option is drilling into my roof and I am not all that thrilled with that option.
If you get a larger fairing like the one I have posted you may be able to use quick clips and some NRS style cam straps to hold it on. That is what I used and had no problems with lots of freeway miles and offroad miles through the summer. Unfortunately the deflector and camper are off the truck now but the clips just go between the door and the roof and pull in tight, they are the ones that are typically used on a foam block style canoe carrier.
IMGP2045.JPG

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie. This is my toy. Unfortunately my language is very poor.

Attachments

• айфон 6 462.JPG
    айфон 6 462.JPG
    295 KB · Views: 1,012
  • IMG_6255.JPG
    IMG_6255.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 1,074
Yeah that's pretty cool looking. How well does it perform? Only thing better would be if it were made from metal to avoid any potential damage while in use.

I broke down and ordered all the pieces for a Yakima solution. I am still waiting for everything to arrive.
  • 2-pack of Q Towers $109.00 (Amazon)
  • 6-pack of Lock cores $60.00 (Amazon) 4 extras to match my existing locks to the new ones. A 2-pack was $35.00
  • 58 inch cross bar $45.00+$10.00 (Rack Attack)
  • Q24 clips (pair) for my old truck $39.00+10.00 (Rack Attack) Hope these work!
  • 50" Wind fairing $85.00 (Amazon)
So, for me, this solution was about $350.00, which was more than I wanted to spend but from looking at the photos posted, will look nice. If I am not happy with the fairing, I probably could put something together and mount it on the Yakima cross bar. I feel pretty good about it fixing my buffeting. I probably won't get all the parts and assemble it until next week.

Steve

NorCalSteve said:
I broke down and ordered all the pieces for a Yakima solution. I am still waiting for everything to arrive.
  • 2-pack of Q Towers $109.00 (Amazon)
  • 6-pack of Lock cores $60.00 (Amazon) 4 extras to match my existing locks to the new ones. A 2-pack was $35.00
  • 58 inch cross bar $45.00+$10.00 (Rack Attack)
  • Q24 clips (pair) for my old truck $39.00+10.00 (Rack Attack) Hope these work!
  • 50" Wind fairing $85.00 (Amazon)
So, for me, this solution was about $350.00, which was more than I wanted to spend but from looking at the photos posted, will look nice. If I am not happy with the fairing, I probably could put something together and mount it on the Yakima cross bar. I feel pretty good about it fixing my buffeting. I probably won't get all the parts and assemble it until next week.

Steve
I'd be interested in a link to the wind fairing you purchased.

Thanks!

Fred

Yes, the Yakima fairing.

I do wish there were more fairing solutions out there. Nothing seems to be a great solution unless it is a custom setup. And some nice custom setups at that!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom