wind noise while driving with truck camper?

My 2012 Chevy 2500 crew cab and Hawk combo are a pleasure on the road. With the radio off, the most annoying sound is the snoring of the dog. Around 85 the engine starts to make it's presence known.

I have an 05 silverado 1500 and I get ton of wind noise at highway speeds. If there is a head wind you can hear it actually flexing the doors out. I am going to replace the door pins as the driver side is getting loose. But man, if I knew how loud this Chevy was going to be, I would have never bought it.

Anyone else have a similar truck with lots of road noise?

my 2002 GMC 2500hd is pretty quiet on the highway, even at 80 mph with the camper on. What body style is your 1500?

Vic Harder - I have the extended cab with the suicide back doors. I am going to try replacing the door hinge pins, then adjust the back door latches and probably replace the weather stripping. I was able to get the truck for a great deal and it is paid off so I am just going to work with what I got and try and make it better. It does really well with my Phoenix pop-up and gets "decent" MPG. Just want to fix the road noise.

My 2012 2500HD crew cab is very quiet. The early club cabs with the suicide doors did have problems with wind noise and is why they now have a center post conventional design.

Vic, what did you do to "fix" the rear window? I have read they can be noisy but my front doors are so loud I don't know if there is any noise coming from the pop out windows?

I ended up bending the sheet metal close to where the clamp is to move the assembly inboard by a few mm. I had tried adding weatherstripping prior to that, that just made it worse.

There is a replacement part available on ebay that changes the length of the "dogbone" in the assembly. This slight change in geometry is also supposed to help. My solution (bending) was cheaper!

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/121197-2004-extended-cab-fold-out-window-leaks/

Front A-pillar noise issue - http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f53/wind-noise-silverado-advice-needed-76412/

Man Vic, I started with those 2 links and ended up with about 10 pages open at once. So many fixes/opinions/places to look. I am going to start with my door hinge pins as they are worn on the driver door. From there I will slowly keep working through all the fix options. I like the idea of bending the sheet metal on the back window to seal better. Do you have a pic of how much you bent and where exactly? I am sure I can figure it out or spend the $40 to replace the part.

Thanks everybody for the help

dtimms said:
Man Vic, I started with those 2 links and ended up with about 10 pages open at once. So many fixes/opinions/places to look. I am going to start with my door hinge pins as they are worn on the driver door. From there I will slowly keep working through all the fix options. I like the idea of bending the sheet metal on the back window to seal better. Do you have a pic of how much you bent and where exactly? I am sure I can figure it out or spend the $40 to replace the part.

Thanks everybody for the help
the door panels come off with a good yank pliers or vice grips top and bottom of where the hinge attaches bend until it breaks and then back off a bit

just kidding on that last bit, but it was a bit scary bent it maybe a few mm?

I have a truck camper and just bought a new 2021 Chevy truck. The gap between the camper that is over the truck cab and the truck cab roof is about two inches. When driving down the highway with any sort of head or crosswind, the truck cab sheet metal roof reverberates and makes a loud and I mean a LOUD noise. I place my hand on the headliner in the truck and I can feel the sheet metal roof bouncing up and down. It sounds like a gun going off. Can Anyone provide me details of a wind deflector or wind fairing they installed? Please be specific and maybe show pictures and how are you installed it.thank u

Notfadeaway said:
Can Anyone provide me details of a wind deflector or wind fairing they installed? Please be specific and maybe show pictures and how are you installed it.thank u
I had success with a stock Yakima fairing mounted on a single bar. Not cheap, but you do pay for quality.

Thanks for reply. I was Looking at the Yakima one just like you stated. Did you have the same problem I had where the roof of the truck cab was reverberating up and down?

We don’t have that noise problem, but others have said that a pool noddle squeezed into the gap such that the middle is near the leading edge and the ends bent towards the rear reduces the noise level. Would be cheap to try..

If it didn’t help, you could always use it for swimming or simulated light saber. :D

Paul

Notfadeaway said:
Thanks for reply. I was Looking at the Yakima one just like you stated. Did you have the same problem I had where the roof of the truck cab was reverberating up and down?
No, mine was general wind noise. The feet of the Yakama bar press down on the roof (admittedly near the edge) which might help.

I'm still awaiting my camper build so haven't had to try anything yet but have read elsewhere about the pool noodle solution described above. Some found running the full width across the front with a slight curve parallel to top of windshield and then angling it back above the doors, going all the way back, helped better than "V"- shape behind windshield. The idea is to create a high pressure area there that somewhat directs oncoming air over or to sides of camper.

Has anyone benefitted or made things worse with one of those see-through wind deflectors you mount at front of hood to allegedly deflect bugs and rain above windshield? If air could be reflected a few more inches up front of cabover on truck camper, more air might go over it rather than be rammed between cabover and cab to noisily
find it's own way out.

Cayuse said:
With my Tundra-Grandby combo I had a lot of wind noise from about 30-50some mph. Put a wind deflector on the cab and voila wind noise is all but gone. A big part of it will be dependent on the gap between the cab and the camper overhang.
Ditto, with first gen Tundra.
Mounted a Yakima fairing and it stopped the cavitation sounds at 50mph

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom