Wind or Air Deflector

banderswipe

Hi all, has anyone used a roof air deflector for their camper. It seems to me that NCO Alaskans could benefit from some improvement in this area.I know that a company called Icon makes a pickup truck delector($400) for trailers and 5th wheels and they claim up to 3 miles to the gallon improvement.(icondirect.com)
Thanks,
Kevin.

Hi all, has any one got an opinion about truck roof air deflectors?
Not needed too expensive
I would love some input
Thanks,
Kevin.

$400 seems like a lot to spend.

Try doing a Google search on roof rack air deflectors.
While you may need more hight than what these offer,
it might provide a starting point from which you could fabricate your own.
I have seen several NCO rigs where the owner mounted a roof top basket in font
with an air deflector mounted to the font of that.

At the end of the day most of these are made from a polycarbonate
and attached to the rack via 2 to 4 aluminum arms that attach to the cross bar.

I'm guessing that if you do a search in your local listings you can find a plastics shop
that would be happy to cut any shape you wanted.

Have you thought about a '53 Studebaker??

I have been thinking about an NCO like yours, but was planning on putting a Yakima rack and backet with a fairing on the cab as a deflector. I could then have some additional storage on the roof.

Brad

Hi Brad, funny you should mention the Studebaker. I think I dreamt about incorporating one into the front of my NCO Alaskan, they are very aerodynamic you know. I had a vision of it being purple outside and purple and red with Leapord skin on the inside,molded in above the bed.Nahh! somebody's probably all ready done it.
I like the idea of using the Yakima rack and molding a fairing to fit though.As to wether an NCO is warmer than a CO Alaskan,I have no experience with the CO so I canot say. This sounds like a perfect new thread question.
Thanks,
Kevin.

There was/is a thread or two about wind deflectors on here somewhere. From what I remember they focused on #1 helpful yes or no? and #2 how to build one. If I remember correctly, someone on here built one using a modified Yakima rack and basket. For $400 I'd guess something functional could be home fab-ed for less.

Somewhere else on here is a search feature, maybe it will turn up the threads for you.

Built, bought or decided against, Good luck with your search.

Of course when I went to change views I saw the search feature. I tried it and found the link below.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3216/

Thank goodness I wasn't behind the wheel.....

Thanks Dan for the thread Link. Popop's design looks well suited to FWC's and ATC's. Kodachrome's design looks more like what I need.

Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel.

Kevin.

Hey Carlyle,you can put anything on a yakima rack, why not eyebrows.

Attachments

• thumbnailCA32J8HQ.jpg
    thumbnailCA32J8HQ.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 131
here's another location for eyebrows...

hit the "molding page" when the link opens

http://www.vintagecampers.com/subcategory.php?category=Hardware

Back
Top Bottom