Winter Break Trip 2014

Richard, if it was us, it was Saturday morning that we drove out and headed north on 395. Hope you had a great time in Death Valley!

Lighthawk said:
You really nailed this shot! Perfect exposure and timing of the moon with alpenglow illuminating Montgomery.
I've photographed the same view several times, but never caught the scene as well as you did here.

We're glad you and the Lady enjoyed a restorative soak and went up to poke around the cemetery. Pretty cool stuff.
DVNP_Dec2014_428.jpg
Wow, thanks Andy! I really appreciate that coming from such a talented photographer as you. And, thanks again for the recommendation for Benton! :)

Enjoyed your report! Very nice photographs. The canyons are beautiful spots and a campsite with a personal hot tub sounds quite pleasant.

Boy Ski, I'm sure having problems down loading and seeing your photo's on all three parts! I get the first few ones then the caption with no photo-real-real slow-then it times out. I've been trying to do this since you first posted your TR. Is this the problem you identified in the other thread or maybe this is just my lap top acting up. What I do see makes me want to be there-not so much the rock climbing, but the rest. I'll try later and see if it works.

Smoke

Nope-never had any before. Some of my sites seem slow of late, could be my internet connection-remember I got hacked pretty bad a few months ago, but my security protection shows all is well, so it's probably just the connection again. I'll reboot my lt and try again.

Smoke

Smoke, might be an error on my part when I downloaded photos to the hosting site I use. I'll check into it today after we get done giving the truck and camper a thorough cleaning. They need it! :)

Ski as usual I highly enjoyed the report.
Now that Smoke has brought it up.I have had a slower time on all 4 parts of the report to get the photos to show.
Not a real problem just takes a few extra minutes.
That moon shot great. I am a sucker for moon shots.

In fact on our trip home from Spain we had a view of a lifetime.
We left Barcelona Monday morning at 7 am headed to Paris an hour and half later.We had the best sight as we were descending into Paris.The moon was out the left window and full while out the right window the sun was a glow on the horizon. Just before we went under the cloud cover the small sliver of the moon to the left and a small sliver of the sun to the right.
Than what makes this even more special was as the plane headed over Iceland area on a SW heading,there was again the full moon this time out the right window and the rising sun out the left window.
Boy what a sight.No way to catch it on camera though. We had two full moon sets and two sun rises that morning.
Frank

ski3pin said:
Smoke, might be an error on my part when I downloaded photos to the hosting site I use. I'll check into it today after we get done giving the truck and camper a thorough cleaning. They need it! :)
Smoke, I corrected my error. Try again and everything should load for you as it has in the past. Thanks for alerting me to this.

Bill, with speeds like you have, how do you even hold on to your mouse? :eek:
Twice as fast as my speed here.

Ski - Yes, it was you, and, yes, it was Saturday; I got fouled up . . . again!. We fooled around Friday at some spots along 395 and spent the night in Lone Pine. Shortly after leaving the Interagency Visitor Center in the am we spotted you. Your rig is easy to identify and the Rotopax gas can on the back clinched it for me. We spent the day in the southwestern part of the Park and exited via Mengel Pass/Golar Wash to head home that evening. A fun, but too short trip.

Glad its working! My little faux pas could go in the "done something stupid" thread but I'm just going to let it pass. :)

Another classic.

I have come to believe the southern Sierra and Death Valley have some of the most fantastic geology to be found anywhere, particularly in the way of textbook features and hands-on textures. The 18th century geologists in England and Scotland came up with a term which has endured, didn't they?

Thanks, as always, for the considerable effort to share.

Foy

Back
Top Bottom