Winter Camping

ArtTrek

We're visiting the factory in Washington in a few days, considering the purchase of a 7 foot cabover. Living in Southern Oregon, we do get winter temperatures below freezing. My question is do you have to winterize? Also, can you camp in winter? I don't mean in the deep snow... just can you go camping in the Alaskans when it's below freezing?

No, you don’t “have” to winterize, but you better keep it warm during freezing weather. That means either keeping it in heated storage, or keeping the interior warm enough to prevent any/all parts of the water system, including the toilet, water heater, external shower...

I grew up in the Rogue Valley, and remember consecutive days of freezing fog, never getting above 32°, and the occasional cold snap of a week or more with temps in the teens.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
No, you don’t “have” to winterize, but you better keep it warm during freezing weather. That means either keeping it in heated storage, or keeping the interior warm enough to prevent any/all parts of the water system, including the toilet, water heater, external shower...

I grew up in the Rogue Valley, and remember consecutive days of freezing fog, never getting above 32°, and the occasional cold snap of a week or more with temps in the teens.
We live at 2500 feet in the Rogue Valley... Every November, I winterize our little Casita. We have a pad with electricity and easy access to propane. I'm assuming that I will keep it heated...basically as though I were camping... that's what I want to know about. Obviously, the factory will have some info, but I just wanted to hear from the experience of others. Thanks for your perspective.

Ruch/Applegate? Above Ashland?

BTW, I think Alaskan Campers are really nice! We made two trips to the factory, but finally chose a Northern Lite for the room and construction. The Alaskan has the most comfortable camper seating I’ve experienced. They’re beautiful as well.

ArtTrek said:
We're visiting the factory in Washington in a few days, considering the purchase of a 7 foot cabover. ...

Also, can you camp in winter? I don't mean in the deep snow... just can you go camping in the Alaskans when it's below freezing?
Absolutely ! And if you buy a camper you owe it to yourself to experience using it in winter.

Good call with the 7', vs a 6.5'.

I hope during your factory visit you are able to see a model close to the size and layout you're looking for and that you can spend some extra time inside, sitting and moving about, focusing on how it might work for you. In another thread you mentioned having a Casita trailer so you'll know all about this. And also you mentioned being light packers. That's great, some of us aren't and want more space. As always, know thyself. Pick your camper (carefully), then the truck to suit it.

Good luck with it.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Ruch/Applegate? Above Ashland?

BTW, I think Alaskan Campers are really nice! We made two trips to the factory, but finally chose a Northern Lite for the room and construction. The Alaskan has the most comfortable camper seating I’ve experienced. They’re beautiful as well.
Above Ashland... Love the Rogue Valley!!!

klahanie said:
Absolutely ! And if you buy a camper you owe it to yourself to experience using it in winter.

Good call with the 7', vs a 6.5'.

I hope during your factory visit you are able to see a model close to the size and layout you're looking for and that you can spend some extra time inside, sitting and moving about, focusing on how it might work for you. In another thread you mentioned having a Casita trailer so you'll know all about this. And also you mentioned being light packers. That's great, some of us aren't and want more space. As always, know thyself. Pick your camper (carefully), then the truck to suit it.

Good luck with it.
Thanks! Used to be backpackers, so got used to limits. : ) Having said that, an electric coffee pot is REALLY nice!

Back
Top Bottom