Winter Solstice 2013

For winter solstice we are having our first good snowfall of the season. Perfect! It won't be feet of snow (hardly ever is, here); probably six to ten inches, but it is very welcome.

What in addition to winter's delights, I also appreciate that the days are getting longer. We get a bit sun starved here in the gray and wet.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
What in addition to winter's delights, I also appreciate that the days are getting longer. We get a bit sun starved here in the gray and wet.
For me, it is still a great confusion that the days start getting longer a the very start of winter. Me thinks our traditional modes of reckoning must be wrong. Anyway, I'm having a whiskey and eggnog to celebrate the shortest day of the year while packing the All Terrain Camper for another run to the mountains and the snow.

Have a happy winter solstice :D! Does sort of have a happy ring to it, and the sun is out too, wonder if it will warm up!

Smoke

Temps in the low 70s and sunny here in central North Carolina on the Winter Solstice. High today a good 18-20 deg F above normal high for the winter solstice. Also one of my favorite days of the year, as I treasure the longer days which start tomorrow.

Alas, no January road trip to Utah or anywhere else for a ski trip. We're saving our time and $$ to go to whatever Stateside burg our son will redeploy to in April. First reports said Little Creek, VA (Virginia Beach--Yay! Only 190 miles from here!), then Gulfport, MS, now scuttlebutt says San Diego. Whichever it is, we'll be there come April!

Foy

We always enjoy knowing the days are now getting longer.... Though we did just get back this past week from Chile/Argentina it was nice to miss the very cold temperatures here and shortness of daylight.

One of my favorite days if there is such a thing. I'm happy that we've turned the corner and we start to gain daylight. Seems like once December gets here, I just want to hibernate until mid February.

Now, I can be more optimistic (besides Christmas is coming) as the days are getting longer and when I wake up the daylight will come sooner and I can fix dinner looking at the lighter skies. We did get about 4" of snow Thursday night but it is melting so no white Christmas.

Woke up to a light dusting of snow in Bend this morning...first time in weeks.
More than a dusting in the Cascades. Better than nothing...still need MUCH more.

Mark,please send some rain this way.At my house we have only had about a 1/2" so far this season.Normal about 12" into the season.
Oh well can't do anything about it except enjoy the sunny days.
Maybe a rain dance or some kind of sacrifice of some kind.
Enjoy your weather.
Frank

Okay, I'm tired of this. Where do I file a complaint? The low this morning was 46°. The temperature right now is 68° and every window is open. This is just plain wrong. :oops:

ski3pin said:
Okay, I'm tired of this. Where do I file a complaint? The low this morning was 46°. The temperature right now is 68° and every window is open. This is just plain wrong. :oops:
Don't look for sympathy in this neck of the woods... 15° right now, 3" new snow, low of 0 tonight with 15-25 mph winds from the NW. :unsure:

Ski, when I was working at the observatory we had a problem reporting system that had a "weather" category. No one was responsible for the weather PRs, but if we got frustrated, we could file a complaint to make us feel better.

Unless something changes soon, it's going to be a scary fire situation from California to Texas. It's possible I'll be spending the upcoming springtime as a fire lookout.

takesiteasy said:
Don't look for sympathy in this neck of the woods... 15° right now, 3" new snow, low of 0 tonight with 15-25 mph winds from the NW. :unsure:
Ski looks like we aren't going to get any sympathy from our friends back east.It's about 77 now here at the Lake Pacific and a 10/15 mph breeze.
Oh well rather our weather than Al's.
Frank
PS.Maybe a rain dance or some kind of ceremony involving virgins.
Who knows anything at this time might work.

Back
Top Bottom